Chinchillas.org

Chinchilla Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Shedding  (Read 1851 times)

Bogart

• Appreciation points: 0
  • Bogart & Cagney
    • View Profile
Shedding
« on: October 30, 2008, 06:54:03 PM »

I am wondering why Bogart is shedding. He is shedding most from the back end. Is in Excell. health, has a beautiful, shiny, thick, fur. He gets a bath 2x a week, has a good diet, a large Ferret cage, and yes loves to be combed, has Timothy hay and the like. He IS NOT combed alot, only when I see he needs it, very few little tufts of hair or mats, and a Single male.
Bogarts Mommy Laurie
Black Viper's 500 LMTD

Jo Ann

• Global Moderator
  • Appreciation points: 59
  • Chinchillas are a little bit of heaven on earth.
    • View Profile
    • Luv 'N Chins
Re: Shedding
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2008, 09:58:26 PM »

::silly::  Is Bogart developing "turkey feathers"?    You will see little tiffs of fur sticking out here and there, mostly around the rear half of the body.  This sometimes happens around this time of the year with the weather changes ... when you turn on the heat in your house and the air becomes drier, this will also tend to affect the fur of the chins. With the drier air, you may want to cut the dustbaths back to one or two a week.  Chinchillas go through cycles with their fur.  Most chinchillas are born in the spring or fall of the year and their cycles often work out to be close to each other.  If you will check out two articles on my website, they explain it a little better: http://www.luvnchins.com/ChinPrimingChart.html and http://www.luvnchins.com/InPrimeChart.html 

Also keep in mind, we tend to hold/handle our little ones more around the bottom/back half of their body ... fur can sluff off from being handled also.

::wave::  Jo Ann
There are no dumb questions ...
    Only regrets they were not asked ...

Luv 'N Chins (Kid Friendly)
www.luvnchins.com/NewPagesAndArticles.html
My Little Jamie
www.luvnchins.com/AvailableForAdoption.html

Luv 'N Chins II (NOT kid friendly - Medical)
Being re-built! Geocities closed

Bogart

• Bogart & Cagney
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2008, 09:26:01 PM »

;) ;)

JoAnn,
I want to thankyou very much for your reply. It was very informative to me, in fact I printed it.
Bogart was born August 26, 2007. I woill have to study it more to figure it all out, it is very interesting to know now, what these little tufts are from his round, beautiful, butt area. Other than that he has grown to be very beautiful.

Laurie
stormys500lmtd@yahoo.com
Black Viper's 500 LMTD

4Leaf_Clover

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2008, 05:44:09 PM »

I noticed a couple of "turkey feathers" on Pikachu today....on his right side. (atleast thats what I'm thinking they are  ::shrug::)  Is there something I can do to prevent this or is it pretty normal?

We havent even had him a week so still learning.  :blush2:
Pages: [1]   Go Up