Chinchillas.org

Chinchilla Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Hoppinchins Chinchilla Pics  (Read 9730 times)

Jo Ann

• Global Moderator
  • Appreciation points: 59
  • Chinchillas are a little bit of heaven on earth.
    • View Profile
    • Luv 'N Chins
Re: Hoppinchins Chinchilla Pics
« Reply #15 on: January 21, 2009, 08:01:46 AM »

::silly::  Thanks for the compliment on the picture of the eye ... yes, it took some time to get it.   :D

::think::  A pink white (white/beige cross) does not normally have any gray fur.  They will often show signs of some beige fur mixed in from the beige in it's background.  As they grow older, the white fur often gains beige fur in it.  What are the parents and grand parents of your chin, Hoppinchins?

::think::  biggrins, Sebastian "looks" like a pink white from the picture. 
In the picture, I do not see the 'light dusting of grey in the fur' you are mentioning.   
By 'dusting of gray' do you mean gray guard hairs? or tips of gray? or just some gray mixed in (no pattern) with the other fur? 
What has happened to the fur from eye to eye? 
The eye looks a bit 'weak' in the picture.  Is there something wrong?  Any puss in the eye area?  Are the eyes watering/weaping?  Any redness in the skin around the eye?

::wave::  Jo Ann
There are no dumb questions ...
    Only regrets they were not asked ...

Luv 'N Chins (Kid Friendly)
www.luvnchins.com/NewPagesAndArticles.html
My Little Jamie
www.luvnchins.com/AvailableForAdoption.html

Luv 'N Chins II (NOT kid friendly - Medical)
Being re-built! Geocities closed

Hoppinchins

• Appreciation points: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 21, 2009, 02:48:51 PM »

Unforgently I don't know what type of chins my parents were  :(. I got both of them from pet stores.

Jo Ann

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Luv 'N Chins
« Reply #17 on: January 21, 2009, 03:29:59 PM »

::silly::  The only time I would 'think' there could be a little bit of gray fur show up in a pink white (white/beige cross) would be when there is something other than just white, beige and standard in the back ground. 

Often other grays/blacks will show back up from generations two or more back on some chinchillas, but I have never seen gray fur show up on a pink white with pink ears, pink eyes, pink nose and pink pads on it's feet ... of course that is not to say that it could happen ... anything in nature can show up, if the genes are there somewhere.   ::silly:: 

This is one of the reasons I always say,  "If you can, avoid a pet store chin."  Some do not have the option other wise, or have yet to learn. 

We are all 'new at it' in the beginning.  My first two chinchillas were given to me for one of my birthdays, the person that gave them to me, got them from a pet store ... both are standard gray females and I still have both.   ;)  They are getting up there in age, but will always have a home with me, as long as they live.  :)  I love my girls!

My Little Jamie

Hoppinchins

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 21, 2009, 06:21:49 PM »

I would have never of guessed that there would be an online community for cinchilla owners. When I first signed up on the chinclub, i didn't even know they had forums.

I know if/when I get more chinchillas I will addopt them from a shelter or get them from one of the breeders on here. I found one today that has to be somewhere in my city because the area code was the same. I tried emailing the woman but I got the message sent back. I am going to try to call her.

I love this websight. I always talk about my chins. I think sometimes my friends/family gets tired of hearing about them.  ::silly::

Abby W.

• Appreciation points: 6
    • View Profile
    • Virginia Chinchillas
« Reply #19 on: January 21, 2009, 07:25:22 PM »

LOL My husband knows way more about chinchillas than he ever cared to!  My parents keep asking when we are going to have kids.  I tell them "What are you talking about?  I already have twenty!"

biggrins

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 21, 2009, 11:36:48 PM »

Joanne,
Sebastian lost he's eye when he was a kit. It's all closed up. It does get goo and I have to wipe it from time to time. The vet says there's nothing to worry. He has some sight in the one eye.

This is the fur color I was talking about. It's weird. I take his photo and the flash washes it out everytime!! He has pink feet and pink ear. I think, it's like my white dog, in cetain lights you can see yellowish tint in he's fur.

Wendy and her furry gang

Jo Ann

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Luv 'N Chins
« Reply #21 on: January 22, 2009, 11:26:08 AM »

::silly::  If there is yellowing in the fur itself, in natural sunlight, that can happen with age, diet, bedding, cleaning supplies used in/on the cage and even a hint of beige showing up.  The yellowing or reddish tint fur can show, is also often due to oxidation.  Fresh air constantly is a must.  The closed doors and windows in the house often make the air you breath a lower quality of air than the air outside.

Did Sebastian loose the eye due to a fight/injury or because it was still closed when he was born and it atrophied?

When taking pictures of your chin, it is always best to do it in natural sunlight, without a camera flash, if possible. 
Strong light, especially flashes, will 'bleach out' and discolor many things in a picture. 
"Red eye"  or those spooky white globe-eyes are a reflection caused by the flash.
Remember also, the dust bath dust reflects light, intensifying the reflection of the flash.
"Natural light" bulbs can also be purchased to use when taking pictures. 
Never use fluorescent lighting in the same room as you are taking the pictures, it will give white fur a yellow cast and discolor other colors of fur.
Natural lighting will often give you a bluish tinge to pictures, if you are getting a greenish tint to your pictures, there is something yellowish that is crossing the light spectrum with the blue.  (Notice the bottom left corner of the second picture.)
Always try to use a white background, if possible with all chins, except the white chinchillas ... with them, a black is usually best.
Any time you use any colors other than white or black for the background in your pictures, the colors around the chin can be reflected in the fur and give you an off color, rather than the natural color of the fur. 
When using professional natural lighting ... If you use a reflecting shield or umbrella, it should be snow white or a high polished silver to keep the lighting natural.
Natural sunlight is always best, whenever possible.   
When I do not use my light box, I will often use the dining room table placed closest to the window and covered with a white or black blanket for taking pictures.   You want to make sure the blanket or background is one that absorbs light, not reflects it.   100% cotton that has been washed is usually best.
Do not use a white sheet, it is not thick enough ... any colors under the sheet will often 'bleed' through.  ( I was a professional photographer for over 16 years.)

Hope these hints will help. 

« Last Edit: January 22, 2009, 11:29:49 AM by Jo Ann »

My Little Jamie

biggrins

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 22, 2009, 10:13:19 PM »

Wow! You know alot about animals!  ::nod::

My white dog is more egg shell and that has to do to he's breed type. he's a Italian Greyhound and very rare for the breed standard. He getting the egg shell/yellowish tint from he's mom. She's fawn color.  :)

Sebastian lost he's eye from another kit when he was kit. I guess he was picked on and I was told he's sibling tried to eat him. Not sure if that's true or not.  :)

Thank you for all your info!! :)
Wendy and her furry gang
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up