Chinchillas.org

Chinchilla Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: going on vacation questions  (Read 2482 times)

squeakie

• Appreciation points: 0
    • View Profile
going on vacation questions
« on: May 05, 2009, 04:25:25 PM »

We recently moved and don't have a lot of people I trust to watch our chin. Is it ever a good idea to take a chin with you camping? Are there places that board chins?
Rhanks for the advice

cadillactaste

• Appreciation points: 5
  • Fluffy (Standard) and Nibbles (Violet)
    • View Profile
Re: going on vacation questions
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2009, 07:02:53 PM »

You have no relatives or anyone hugh...we're going to Disneyworld at the end of June and into July. We've got a house sitter to just stay at our home. We will board our bulldogs. [Due to idiot neighbor who threated to bring a wolf to fight our dog...LONG STORY] I would just feel more comfortable with them safetly tucked in the kennel we have always used...But for the turtles,snake and chins...we'll have a college guy from our church staying at our home while we're away.

I know...our kennel will watch turtles...BUT NO SNAKES...You might ask your vet they could refer you to someone they trust...They might even take care of them for you for a fee. I would trust a vet  ::nod::...

~Darlene

Jo Ann

• Global Moderator
  • Appreciation points: 59
  • Chinchillas are a little bit of heaven on earth.
    • View Profile
    • Luv 'N Chins
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2009, 08:19:35 AM »

We recently moved and don't have a lot of people I trust to watch our chin. Is it ever a good idea to take a chin with you camping? Are there places that board chins?
Rhanks for the advice

I would not take a chin with me on vacation ... they, as a rule, do not travel well ... you can't control the weather ... you could breakdown and the heat could kill it ... chinchillas do not like change or strange places, it would probably stress him.   

If at all possible, since you do not have family or friends close by, I would find a vet that could board your little one while you are gone ... it will probably be expensive ... but it's the only option I can come up with ... under the circumstances.   (This is one of the things I point out when someone wants to get a chin from me.  Are you willing to give up your vacations OR will you be able to get a sitter or board them?  OR Is the breeder close enough to keep it for you while you are out of town?)

::wave::  Jo Ann
There are no dumb questions ...
    Only regrets they were not asked ...

Luv 'N Chins (Kid Friendly)
www.luvnchins.com/NewPagesAndArticles.html
My Little Jamie
www.luvnchins.com/AvailableForAdoption.html

Luv 'N Chins II (NOT kid friendly - Medical)
Being re-built! Geocities closed

cadillactaste

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2009, 08:25:33 AM »

Jo Ann...yes...I agree...especially camping where your in the great outdoors. I can see them over heating...and all sorts of bad things.

I think...what ever the cost of a vet caring for it...peace of mind is worth the cost...so you can actually enjoy your vacation. ::nod::
~Darlene

squeakie

• Appreciation points: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2009, 05:45:40 PM »

That's kind of what I was thinking but my husband thought our chin might like to camp. I told him I would ask here.
Thanks for the info.

cadillactaste

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2009, 06:47:48 PM »

Um-mm this time you can tell your husband..."I TOLD YOU SO"... ;)

Also you have no idea what you might bring it in contact with...that it's immune system isn't able to fight off...Even if you toss out the "weather" related issues of being to hot...Or the stress of just all the new surroundings...Without having shots to protect it from all that is out and about...Like our fur friends a cat and dog...think about heartworm from mosquitoes...and such...just not worth it.

But...enjoy your camping trip!

The only tent I've slept in...was INSIDE our home we were building which included electricity...With a mattress inside it. And to think I grew up on a farm... ::) I'm still girlie in my ways...And picturing that...My son now has me "rescue" spiders and release them into the "wild" of the outdoors if we find one in the house. The other day...I litterally was scared to "kill" the one he was so big! My son seen it and forget killing it...it was catch and release from then on out. I was sick to my stomach afterwards...  ::scaredspeachless::
~Darlene

Jo Ann

• Global Moderator
  • Appreciation points: 59
  • Chinchillas are a little bit of heaven on earth.
    • View Profile
    • Luv 'N Chins
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2009, 08:59:42 AM »

::silly::
My son now has me "rescue" spiders and release them into the "wild" of the outdoors if we find one in the house. The other day...I litterally was scared to "kill" the one he was so big! My son seen it and forget killing it...it was catch and release from then on out. I was sick to my stomach afterwards...   
Want to get rid of your spiders with out killing them?  As crazy as it may seem ... Find a tobacco farmer ... after he has harvested his crop ... ask for the stalks of the tobacco plants ... take them upstairs ... in the attic of your home ... place them end to end around the full perimeter of the house ... for some reason, the spiders will no longer come into your home willingly.   {I was terrified of spiders, due to an incident that happened when I was about 5 years old ... I tried everything until I found the one method for getting rid of spiders that worked.  It doesn't kill them ... they just don't want to be around the tobacco.  It's like ants and cinnamon ... ants will not cross cinnamon.}

Chinchillas can not survive out doors in the US ... mainly due to the predators ... but also due to the weather.   You know how fast a chinchilla is and it is also very curious ... if released outside, it would be very difficult, if not impossible to catch one.

I think...what ever the cost of a vet caring for it...peace of mind is worth the cost...so you can actually enjoy your vacation.
Very true!   :::grins::

::wave::  Jo Ann

There are no dumb questions ...
    Only regrets they were not asked ...

Luv 'N Chins (Kid Friendly)
www.luvnchins.com/NewPagesAndArticles.html
My Little Jamie
www.luvnchins.com/AvailableForAdoption.html

Luv 'N Chins II (NOT kid friendly - Medical)
Being re-built! Geocities closed
Pages: [1]   Go Up