Chinchillas.org

Chinchilla Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Please help! Aggression in pairs  (Read 1583 times)

AndrewMI

• Appreciation points: 0
    • View Profile
Please help! Aggression in pairs
« on: April 20, 2009, 08:55:14 AM »

Please help! We recently took our male chinchilla to the vet, and now that he's back, his girlfriend won't let him back into the pair's cage. In fact, she is incredibly aggressive toward him!

Izzy is a white male, and Mazzy is a grey female. Both were purchased from the same breeder at the same time. They normally love each other: they sleep in a spooning position, eat from the same bowl, and generally do everything together. Izzy has been sick in the past -- we took him to the vet twice in 2008, once for neutering and once because he had a stomach problem -- and Mazzy easily let him back into the cage upon his return.

This time, however, she chases him and nips at his face. We've tried holding each chincilla and slowly placing them closer together, but she lunges as soon as she is close enough. Last night, she even bit me (hard -- the first time she has ever bit hard enough to break the skin) when I stopped her from attacking Izzy during an attempted shared playtime.

We currently have Izzy in a smaller cage and Mazzy in the regular cage. Both cages are sitting beside each other in an attempt to re-familiarize Mazzy with her old boyfriend. Izzy seems to still enjoy Mazzy, but she remains aggressive and mirrors his movements in her own cage. If he climbs his ramp and goes onto the top level on his cage, for example, she'll do the same in hers, all the while trying to push her little nose out of the bars in order to bite him.

Please help! These chinchillas are a joy the lives of my fiance and I, and we want them to love each other again. We have no idea what to do. This has been going on for 3 days now, and we try to reconcile their differences every evening.

Jo Ann

• Global Moderator
  • Appreciation points: 59
  • Chinchillas are a little bit of heaven on earth.
    • View Profile
    • Luv 'N Chins
Re: Please help! Aggression in pairs
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2009, 06:47:35 AM »

::silly::  Why was Izzy at the vet's?  Was he sick?  Injured?  How long was he at the vet's? 

Is she, Mazzy,  eating the normal amount of food?  Drinking the normal amount of water?  Are her poops normal?

Caution: All chinchillas are different and react to things differently.  Over the years, I have found on rare occasions, that some chins become irritable/mean/grouchy when they are getting sick, while most just seem to want to be quiet and left alone.  If he had anything that was contagious, she may be getting sick now ... a vet check might be advisable.

Chinchillas have the full array of emotions humans have, so, on the other hand she could be mad because he has been gone, upset for all the attention he has been getting, or he may have a different smell/odor due to a different medication they have had him on.  It could be any or none of these things.

I would have her checked by the vet, just to be safe.

::wave::   Jo Ann
There are no dumb questions ...
    Only regrets they were not asked ...

Luv 'N Chins (Kid Friendly)
www.luvnchins.com/NewPagesAndArticles.html
My Little Jamie
www.luvnchins.com/AvailableForAdoption.html

Luv 'N Chins II (NOT kid friendly - Medical)
Being re-built! Geocities closed

Debbie.nl.ca

• Breeder
  • Appreciation points: 30
    • View Profile
    • Debbie's Newfoundland Chinchillas
Re: Please help! Aggression in pairs
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2009, 04:20:45 PM »

Jo Ann covered the important stuff.  ::nod::
I was just thinking maybe she's just being mean.  >:(She could like having the big cage all to herself. Try putting her in the smaller cage and him in the larger. If she's not familiar with the smaller cage at all you might want to start with just a couple of hours. Not only will it teach her a lesson it will allow him time to add his scent. ;)
I have seen them turn on each other for no apparent reason, and take to each other out of the blues.
Who knows what ticked them off??????? :D
Debbie.nl.ca
Pages: [1]   Go Up