Chinchillas.org

Chinchilla Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: custom ceramic litter boxes...  (Read 3645 times)

cadillactaste

• Appreciation points: 5
  • Fluffy (Standard) and Nibbles (Violet)
    • View Profile
custom ceramic litter boxes...
« on: May 03, 2009, 03:54:19 PM »

Not sure if anyone is interested...BUT...I contacted a site who orders ceramic items and paints them for ferrets. I had contacted her to see if she could do a ceramic litter box...She isn't sure she can order one done...but is willing to "make" one for me...It will be smooth but have a slight bumpy appearance due to it being handmade...I just asked her if she could place holes in the sides so one could bolt it to the cage...I'm waiting for a responce...if anyone is interested...I'll post pictures of the finished product...
~Darlene

Jo Ann

• Global Moderator
  • Appreciation points: 59
  • Chinchillas are a little bit of heaven on earth.
    • View Profile
    • Luv 'N Chins
Re: custom ceramic litter boxes...
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2009, 04:03:21 PM »

::silly::  I'd love to see what she comes up with.  I doubt holes in it to bolt it to the cage will work ... ceramic is similar to glass an it is also breakable.  You might think of putting it in the corner, then using a strip of wood to press against it, to keep it in place and to keep it from moving around.  You would need to screw the wood strip to the shelf to hold it in place.  You would probably have to cut away part of the molding on the shelf so that the potty could set flush up against the wires to keep it stable...

::wave::  Jo Ann
There are no dumb questions ...
    Only regrets they were not asked ...

Luv 'N Chins (Kid Friendly)
www.luvnchins.com/NewPagesAndArticles.html
My Little Jamie
www.luvnchins.com/AvailableForAdoption.html

Luv 'N Chins II (NOT kid friendly - Medical)
Being re-built! Geocities closed

cadillactaste

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2009, 06:52:39 PM »

Even with rubber washers? You think it would make it weak...
~Darlene

cadillactaste

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2009, 05:04:33 AM »

I just learned she's making the litter box out of stoneware which is a heavier and sturdier ceramic... :)
~Darlene

cadillactaste

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2009, 09:03:03 AM »

Though I really need two...I'm getting one to see if it will work for us...then I'll order another one if I'm happy with it. She's saying it will be dishwasher safe...Not sure I would want to stick a potty in my dishwasher though... ::think:: But she states the stoneware will be a lot stronger and sturdier. She's going to use a corner litter pan as a mold for mine.
~Darlene

Jo Ann

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Luv 'N Chins
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2009, 08:45:59 AM »

Had not thought of that ... it would probably work.   :::grins::

I just learned she's making the litter box out of stoneware which is a heavier and sturdier ceramic...  :)

Is she going to glaze it?  If so, what color?   I love ceramics and stoneware both ... use to work with it a little my self.    :)

Though I really need two...I'm getting one to see if it will work for us...then I'll order another one if I'm happy with it. She's saying it will be dishwasher safe...Not sure I would want to stick a potty in my dishwasher though... ::think:: But she states the stoneware will be a lot stronger and sturdier. She's going to use a corner litter pan as a mold for mine.

Out of curiosity ... if you don't mind ... how much is she charging you for it?   :)   Love to see a picture of it when it's finished.

::wave:: Jo Ann

My Little Jamie

cadillactaste

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2009, 11:31:18 AM »

Had not thought of that ... it would probably work.   

::silly:: Yay! You think it probably would work...YAY!

Is she going to glaze it?  If so, what color?   I love ceramics and stoneware both ... use to work with it a little my self.   

Here's a link to her site...I would assume she's going to glaze it...all her other items are. My son is wanting "yellow" which is eye hurting yellow... :-\ I didn't think he would pick that color...so I asked if she could do that color on the inside and another color for the outside color. Still waiting on the verdict...

http://www.dookdookceramics.com/PRODUCTS.html

Out of curiosity ... if you don't mind ... how much is she charging you for it?      Love to see a picture of it when it's finished.

Well of course not! Here is her reply via email...
Because this is an experiment I can do it for $20 shipped for one and if you don't like it you can simply return it for money back.

So I'm really out nothing...And she's got a great responce from the ferret forum where I posted the question...and a moderator there posted a link to her site. She said it might be a little bumpy...since she's forming it over the plastic litter box...not as "store smooth" as one would get from well a pet store. But since they don't make them...I'm thinking...I'm fine with that. Though I know the ferret forum the ferrets there don't like the corner litter pans. And she's working with them to make another style for them.
~Darlene

cadillactaste

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2009, 11:32:53 AM »

I even considered placing on the back side where the chins can't reach it...the adhesive "soft side" to velcro...As another protector from glass to cage wire as well as the rubber washers. I'll have to see how well it fits into the cage first.
~Darlene

cadillactaste

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2009, 04:02:23 PM »

Well...I went ahead and sent payment. Due to this being a custom thing. I'm looking at 2 weeks for completion...which is fine by me...I know I'm moving in the right direction of obtaining such a thing...

Oh...color is going to be blue outer color with yellow inside the litter pan.  I'll attach pictures once it arrives. ;)

::silly::
~Darlene

Jo Ann

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Luv 'N Chins
« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2009, 07:51:23 AM »

::silly::   Wow!  That is a bright lemon yellow your son chose!  (  ::think:: Maybe so they can see it in the dark at night?   :D )
I think I would have wanted to tone it down a bit, too.   rofl

I've never used the rubber washers or Velcro on any of my cages, do let us know how well it works for you.

I even considered placing on the back side where the chins can't reach it ...

That would be a very good idea ... if they can get behind it, they can make it move.   :::grins::

::wave::  Jo Ann

My Little Jamie

cadillactaste

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 06, 2009, 08:22:08 AM »

Well...I plan on putting the rubber washers against the glass litter tray...with a metal one facing it then the bolt. So they can't chew the rubber. But the metal won't be actually in contact with the glass. [If that makes sense] If you think of a light...they have felt washers...with a metal one...that protects the glass that's where I got the idea...I was thinking...Rubber would work stronger padding...I'm thinking HUGE washers to keep it more stable.

As for the velcro...it wouldn't actually be on the cage...but on the backside of the litter pan that touches the cage sides. For cushioning...It may not need it. But...I've got the stuff in my cabinet already so it's not like I would...need to buy anything. [my son's curtains to his room is anchored with the velcro adhesive backing. He has actual checkered racing flags...criss crossed for the curtain panels] Oh...trust me I over think things...My oldest son's bedroom used to have whiffle baseball bats as the curtain rods...and tab top curtains that hung off the thinner area where one would hold the bat.... ::) My husband came home and I crisscrossed the bats and said..."I'm thinking toggle bolts will do the trick"...I'm surprised he didn't tuck and run...but just rubbed his head and said...yeah...I see where your going with that. We've given those handmade bat rods a new home when we redecorated though...And three boys are enjoying a bedroom with them now.
~Darlene
Pages: [1]   Go Up