Chinchillas.org

Chinchilla Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Which Chinchilla Pellet Food is best?  (Read 3383 times)

Camogirl83

• Appreciation points: 0
    • View Profile
Which Chinchilla Pellet Food is best?
« on: November 12, 2008, 04:22:38 PM »

I was just wondering what each person thought was the best chinchilla pellet food?

I am currently using Tradition.

What do you think about Chinchilla Forti Diet Pro Health?

What about Natures Promise Chinchilla Diet?

Hoppinchins

• View Profile
Re: Which Chinchilla Pellet Food is best?
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2008, 06:03:55 PM »

Hi, I am still a new chinchilla owner. I have been doing some research. On the chinchilla club website they  recommend Mazuri 5M01 Chinchilla Food. Calf Manna is a great sounce of Calcium for your chinchilla. We mix our feed 4 parts Mazuri to 1 part Calf Manna. You can find both products here. Another good choice is Manna Pro Classic Show Rabbit Pellets. This has almost the same make up as the Mazuri. Stay away from the food that contains fruit. Do not give your chinchilla gerbil or other rodent food. Find one kind of pellet and stick to it. They have very delicate digestive systems so changing a chin's diet too drastically can cause sickness and even death. We keep their feed dishes full. There is no need to measure their feed since they will only eat when they get hungry. However, if you have a chinchilla that becomes fat or has soft, sticky pellets you will need to cut back on the feed. On average 1 lb. of pellets should last about 20 days when feeding a single chinchilla. Give your chinchilla unlimited access to timothy or alfalfa hay. We recommend a mixture of the two since each has different nutritional values. Both can be bought in almost any pet store either as loose hay in a bag, or as pressed cubes of hay. Either one is fine, however some chinchillas won't eat the cubes. This is given ALONG with the pellets. Chinchillas love to get treats, however, you can only give a small amount a day. An adult chin may have 1-2 raisins a day, or a small wedge of apple. To prevent diarrhea, I wait until babies are at least 3 months before I start giving treats. If your chinchilla becomes fat or develops diarrhea (soft, sticky pellets) you need to cut back on the treats. For diarrhea you may need to stop treats all together for awhile.

I hope that was helpful. I just order those pellets from lone star chinchilla and I will get them in a few days. I'v been using food with fruit treats in it. I didn't know that that wasn't good for them.

mylittlechinchilla

• Robbie
  • Appreciation points: 1
    • View Profile
    • Tennessee Chinchilla Rescue
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2008, 07:00:22 AM »

I started out on Mazuri, later went to Tradition,  now I'm going on week 3 of a new switch, to Pen Pals.  This is all in an 8 year period. 

Mazuri and Tradition are both great feeds.

Aviod the feeds with the 'extras' in it.

I don't give ANY kiys/babies treats until they are at LEAST 6 months.

Beansma

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2009, 06:22:46 PM »

The breeder I got Beans from uses a brand called Hubbard, I order from her. I am rather partial to her since she only deals with chins. She runs a rescue, which I is where I got Beans from. Her prices are extremely reasonable, and of course it goes to a great cause. Here's the link. She has many items, the houses and fleece hammocks are homemade. http://www.sewardbreeders.com/

For anyone in Ohio or near looking for a Chin I highly recommend them. You can adopt a chin for $65 and she sets you up with food, hay and supplements. She refurbishes cages as well. Great lady, when I was there the chin room was very well taken care of and clean, you can tell she truly cares for them.

Hoppinchins

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2009, 01:38:56 PM »

Beansma

Thanks for the info. I just move to KY, but my parents live in Cincinnati still. Were the shelter is, is about 4 hrs away from my parents house though.  :( I will still keep it in mind though.
Pages: [1]   Go Up