Chinchillas.org

Chinchilla Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: newbie questions  (Read 1701 times)

reuben2009

• Appreciation points: 0
    • View Profile
newbie questions
« on: November 17, 2009, 05:50:50 PM »

Hey everyone,

I just got my chinchilla about 3 weeks ago. He is settling in great. He is around 4 month (assuming... the person i got him from said he was 3 months) and he loves to explore. He came with a cage which is one of the "my first home" kits (at least that's what it looks like) and once he goes back into his cage after playing, he breaks my heart because he constantly sticks his nose through the bars trying to bite, looking as if he's trying to get out.  He actually broke the siding a little, by popping it out of place.  is this normal?

Also, i really want to try to get him something bigger for him to jump, because he loves finding new ledges in the room to jump on. I've been stalking craigslist, but i am a college student and the 200 dollar cages are a little over my budget at the moment. My dad is pretty good with building things and i gave him the idea of building a cage. Any ideas on materials and what a good size would be??

Also, i am away at school and am bringing him home next week for thanksgiving. Is it okay to just leave him in his normal cage for the car ride? or would it be better to put him in a smaller space for the drive... like a cat carrier. 

thanks for the help!

Jo Ann

• Global Moderator
  • Appreciation points: 59
  • Chinchillas are a little bit of heaven on earth.
    • View Profile
    • Luv 'N Chins
Re: newbie questions
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2009, 06:34:13 AM »

::silly::   Can you post a picture of the cage you have him in now, please.   Yes, chinchillas do love their freedom and do need room to move about.  Some are content to stay in their cages while others would not want to stay in one regardless how big it is.

You might want to check out Martin's Cages ... they are VERY reasonably priced.  Sometimes they run a special and do not charge shipping.  Wouldn't hurt to check them out at:   http://www.martinscages.com/products/cages/chinchilla/  They start at $44 and their most expensive is $225.  There are several different models and prices in-between the two prices listed.

Some chins travel well, while others do not.  Feeling secure is the main thing ... most like small places when they travel.  {Then there are a few rare ones that really enjoy travel ... we've had a few that like to ride on my husband's shoulder while he drives ... not recommended unless there are at least two people in the car.}  Small travel cage is best.   DO NOT set an open side of the cage against the fabric of the seat of the car ... It could get "redecorated" during the trip ... remember, they will chew on most anything they can get their little teeth into. 

Do not place the cage where there will be air blowing directly on the cage (from a window or a heating/cooling vent).

Remember not to leave the car ... heat can build up in a very short time, even in cool weather ... plan on drive through meals while on the road. 

Do not place the cage where the direct sunlight will be able to shine in/on it ... the sun + the window will heat up the area it is shining on. {I've had my knees get sunburned while traveling in the winter time.}

Lots of thought has to go into traveling with chinchillas!   ::nod::

::wave::  Jo Ann

There are no dumb questions ...
    Only regrets they were not asked ...

Luv 'N Chins (Kid Friendly)
www.luvnchins.com/NewPagesAndArticles.html
My Little Jamie
www.luvnchins.com/AvailableForAdoption.html

Luv 'N Chins II (NOT kid friendly - Medical)
Being re-built! Geocities closed

chinclub

• Site Owner
  • Administrator
  • Appreciation points: 66
    • View Profile
    • Lowcountry Chinchillas
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2009, 04:09:45 PM »

We have come up with some really interesting cages over the years.  Our latest design is actually a cage made out of our closet. (Not recommended for renters or dorm living   rofl )  Some Walmarts sell inexpensive rabbit cages (under $30) that can be made into nice chinchilla cages with a few untreated pine boards strategically placed for ledges.  The bad side of that cage is that the pan is shallow and you are constantly cleaning shavings off the floor.  Check craigslist for old metal dog crates.  Same idea as the rabbit cage, same problem with shallow plans, but these can be found for under $20.  <- disinfect before using.

Word of warning:  These cages have the 1 inch x 2 inch opening.  Great for adults and almost adults.  Younger chinchillas can slip out of this size.

Lowcountry Chinchillas

Walterboro, South Carolina

reuben2009

• Appreciation points: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2009, 04:37:38 PM »

Here is a picture of what the cage (i hope i posted it correctly) looks like. I know the bottom is plastic and he really shouldn't be in it, but that's what he came in. He hasn't chewed it yet. he's more interested in the bars for some reason, which he isn't making any marks on.
Thanks for the website with the cages, I'm trying to figure out where to go next!

thanks for the help about getting him home!

Ladykelia

• Appreciation points: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2009, 07:22:24 PM »

Theres not really anything for size comparison there, but I can still tell that cage is extremely small for a chinchilla. I'm thinking the cage I have is too small and it is 18d x 30w x 30h. Your chin's cage should have at least two or three tiers so he can jump around, a box or house where he can hide/sleep during the day, and a large exercise wheel as well as some other toys. My Hermes also *loves* to cat nap in a hammock, and it is adorable. Make sure you get a cage large enough that it can accommodate those things.

Jo Ann

• Global Moderator
  • Appreciation points: 59
  • Chinchillas are a little bit of heaven on earth.
    • View Profile
    • Luv 'N Chins
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2009, 06:49:45 AM »

::silly::  The cage you posted a picture of is about the size of my isolation cage that I use when a chin is sick or injured and does not need to be moving around much.   That's a starter cage used for a much smaller animal. 

:-\  Do beware of what you buy for chinchillas, rarely do these companies do their homework before saying it is safe for a chinchilla.  There is one cage on the market that is advertised as a cage made for chinchillas and is suppose to be "complete" with everything you need ... it's about as far away from what is needed for a chinchilla as a swimming pool would be for a mouse.  It has the wrong size wire, a plastic base, plastic hut, plastic feeding bowl, a plastic dust bath and dust bath sand instead of dust bath dust ... the perfect example of what not to get a chinchilla ... but, according to the manufacturer, it's 'made for chinchillas'.   ::)

Believe it or not, the metal pan is usually the most expensive part of the cage.  When hand making cages, special care is needed everywhere a cut is made in the wire ... smoothing down the sharp edges is a must.

You have to get what is best for your chinchilla ... that you can afford to buy ... that is easily cleaned ... that is practical ... that you have room for it in your room/home.  You not only have to have the space for the cage, but it also has to have a location that is best  for your chin.  Watch the path of the sunbeams that come through a window ... the cage can not be placed where the sun will hit it directly at any time of the day and not near a draft {hot or cold} from a window, door or air vent.

::wave::  Jo Ann
« Last Edit: November 19, 2009, 06:52:44 AM by Jo Ann »
There are no dumb questions ...
    Only regrets they were not asked ...

Luv 'N Chins (Kid Friendly)
www.luvnchins.com/NewPagesAndArticles.html
My Little Jamie
www.luvnchins.com/AvailableForAdoption.html

Luv 'N Chins II (NOT kid friendly - Medical)
Being re-built! Geocities closed
Pages: [1]   Go Up