Chinchillas.org

Chinchilla Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: I think I have chinchilla fever  (Read 2309 times)

obiwan

• Appreciation points: 2
    • View Profile
I think I have chinchilla fever
« on: December 18, 2009, 11:10:46 PM »

Ever since Obi dropped into my life (geez, only one week ago today) I have been thinking that he might need a friend. All of my animals have been pairs, trios, or more. Of course I have already been reading about slow introductions between chinchillas that don't know each other. While I love Obi January and February are my busiest months of the year (seriously last year for 3 weeks I LIVED at my office, only coming home on Sundays, slept in my office, showered in the gym, ate in the cafeteria, etc. not pretty.) And this year it's already starting early with the overtime. K and his family will be mostly taking care of Obi (unless he finds a kidney match then Obi will probably be sleeping at the office with me; I'm sure my boss won't mind.)  ::)   rofl  Just by coincidence a local shelter posted today on their website 2 young male chinchillas for adoption. Fate, Coincidence, or just too soon?  ???  I just don't want him to be lonely and miserable without someone at my house for several hours during the evening to let him out to play and give him attention. This is why I really wished my brother had waited, in a way, because while I have time now to spend with him I won't in 2 weeks. I also have been thinking about outfitting my old ferret cage (scrubbed clean as new and aired out, of course), a ferret nation 3 story, into a chinchilla paradise. After the "get to know each other" phase it would be a great place for 3 chins.

Hoppinchins

• Appreciation points: 0
    • View Profile
Re: I think I have chinchilla fever
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2009, 10:27:27 AM »

Thats funny,  rofl. Thats how I was after I had one, I wanted another one. I also thought he didn't a friend. Mine would bark in the middle at the night and i'd get up and check on him and he's be fine. I think he was lonely. I didn't have mine first chinchilla long, before i got my other one, maybe 2 weeks. I was luckly enough to get another one that was right around the same age as the one I had. They get together along great. Irv only been a chinchilla owner for a little bit more then a year. I think it would be better to get one sooner then later. They might get along sooner and better if you do. I know your situtation is different than mine. I was on break when I got my second one and I got my first one on a Friday, so I had all weekend to bond with him before I had class. Even though all he wanted to do was roam around my room. Do you have some time off before you get too crazy busy at work?

olivia41

• Appreciation points: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2009, 04:08:23 PM »

everyone gets the chinchilla fever!   ::) but like hoppinchins said it is better to get one sooner than later. although you will be working alot, maybe a friend can let them out? however its important for you to bond with the new chins AND the two or three chins to bond together. if they are getting along by the time you start to work alot then they can live together in that new cage and keep each other company and busy. how old is obi? its better to introduce chins when theyre all at a young age or if obi is older, he will better welcome very young chins and take them in as his babies. my first chinny was alone for a couple months until we got him his friend indy and since they were both young they got along very well. now liv and indy are both older and we recently got a little baby that a friend gave to us and since little benji is so young, liv and indy took him in and cared for him. benji cried a lot at first, which the babies you take in might do, but the older one should want to take them under his wing like my boys did. good luck!  ;)

obiwan

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2009, 08:46:31 PM »

Obi's 5 months old so he's still a baby. As for the overtime, I worked 63 hours last week but I decided to take off Wed-Sun this week and then work Mon and Tues next week so we'll have a little time together. That's why I wanted till wait till March to get a new pet but that decision was out of my hands (and I can't say I'm sad for it.) As for Obi (and any potintial friends) they will never be negleted. My neighbor, K, and his kids already know how to take care of him as they are over at my house frequently to do chores for me, like play with Obi if I am at work. (They use services like house cleaning, shopping, etc to make money as K cannot work a full time job. K is in renal failure and cannot work a full time job with his treatment. Around my area people who can afford to pay them to do little things like the above. It's a way to help them without them feeling like charity cases, same as the "Santa" who is coming to their house Christmas Eve to deliver some presents for the family.)

Hoppinchins

• Appreciation points: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2009, 09:44:29 PM »

That is soo nice that you live in a community that does that for others. Exp. around the holidays.

Jo Ann

• Global Moderator
  • Appreciation points: 59
  • Chinchillas are a little bit of heaven on earth.
    • View Profile
    • Luv 'N Chins
« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2009, 11:19:37 AM »

::silly::   Sounds like the neighborhoods from the time I grew up in ... we never locked our doors, even if we went on vacation, and no one ever bothered anything that was not theirs.   Being a neighbor, was, in short, also being a friend, in the truest since of the word.  Everyone looked out for each other and every one got involved.  You are truly blessed to live in a comunity that is still that way today.   

::wave::  Jo Ann
There are no dumb questions ...
    Only regrets they were not asked ...

Luv 'N Chins (Kid Friendly)
www.luvnchins.com/NewPagesAndArticles.html
My Little Jamie
www.luvnchins.com/AvailableForAdoption.html

Luv 'N Chins II (NOT kid friendly - Medical)
Being re-built! Geocities closed

Debbie.nl.ca

• Breeder
  • Appreciation points: 30
    • View Profile
    • Debbie's Newfoundland Chinchillas
« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2009, 02:47:01 PM »

Those were the good old days.
Though I have to say I lucked out and have great neighbors now.
Living in the boonies for 10 years I missed that. The homes were so far apart you rarely saw a neighbor.
I'm just outside the city, but still in the city limits in the community my husband grew up in. In the house right next door to where he lived. My daughter is in his old house. We wouldn't leave our doors unlock but a helping hand is just a knock away.
 ::kiss99::
Debbie.nl.ca

obiwan

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2010, 09:32:53 PM »

Actually I do live in a great area. I rarely lock my doors as I am far out in the country (takes me 45 minutes to drive to work as it's out so far.) People are so friendly. K is my nearest neighbor. He lives about 3 miles from my house. My actual neighbors are the cows behind me.  :2funny:
Pages: [1]   Go Up