Chinchillas.org

Chinchilla Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Attack!  (Read 3323 times)

obiwan

• Appreciation points: 2
    • View Profile
Attack!
« on: December 14, 2009, 09:12:58 PM »

I thought chinchillas were shy, reserved creatures. From what I've read they should be. Of course I've only had Obi-Wan basically 3 days and all animals have their own personalities. Anyways I've got a wet spot in the floor where Obi just scared the yellow stuff out of my cat.  rofl  He'd been out about 2 hours playing in what's becoming his area. After he went back into his cage (smart little guy goes in there by himself already) I opened the area up as one of my Siamese is fascinated by him. My other has not noticed him till tonight. She's a 14 year old snowshoe. Well, she did her stretch out pose with her nose going at him and was inching closer when he barked at her and jumped at the front of the cage! She came off the ground, turned, and ran to my bedroom, leaving a trail behind her (she's old and is starting to get incontinent.)  :2funny:

The other Siamese seems to be becoming buddies with him. She's a 3 year old flame point. When my ferrets were alive she loved them. The funny thing is she has never meowed. Instead she "Ummp." Yesterday she was sitting outside Obi's cage ummping at him while he sat on his ledge and barked at her. Not like he was scared, like the first night, more like when I gave him a raisin yesterday. It was like they were talking.  :::grins::

mbaker1238

• Appreciation points: 0
    • View Profile
Re: Attack!
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2009, 10:47:59 PM »

haha thats so funny ;D my two chins do the same thing when my two dogs go near their cages...

Debbie.nl.ca

• Breeder
  • Appreciation points: 30
    • View Profile
    • Debbie's Newfoundland Chinchillas
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2009, 07:50:25 AM »

All chins are different just as all people are.
I have had up to 40 chins and my cat knows who is who.Some hate him and have sprayed him so he avoids them. He has made friends with a few, and will play with some through the cage. Him and one standard male will play hand tag through the bars. My cat is declawed, and will put his paw in through the cage , the chin would pat at him, and then they change.  :D
The cat would lay out on the deep freeze, rolling on his back and sides doing this with Jessie for most of the while I was cleaning out the cages. If the cat got side tracked and started ignoring Jessie , Jessie would reach out and poke the cat.

They can be very funny little critters, but I would never trust the cat with them alone. The chin could pee off, LOL or on the cat and the cat could go instinctive on me. :(
Debbie.nl.ca

kneesaa

• Appreciation points: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2009, 08:23:35 AM »

Hi Obiwan,
I'm happy to see another Star wars fan ;). Welcome to the chinchilla forum. My dad's parents used to rise Siamese's and as far back as I can remember we only had Siamese cats in our house. My chins are used to our cats, if their tails are any where near their cages they will have their tails bit. Your snowshoe sounds so lovely, I like that kind of cat also.Anyway glad to see you, Kneesaa
Quyana Shannon Seager

Jo Ann

• Global Moderator
  • Appreciation points: 59
  • Chinchillas are a little bit of heaven on earth.
    • View Profile
    • Luv 'N Chins
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2009, 07:54:22 AM »

::silly::  Obiwan ... I like that name   ::nod::

Welcome to the Wonderful World of Chinchillas and to the Chinchilla Club Forum!

Each chinchilla is different, they have their own unique personalities.  I had one that loved to use the roll-a-bout plastic jumbo ball (before I found out they can pop open) to terrorize my cat.  She would chase poor Lucky with it.  Finally Lucky, the cat, learned to just jump straight up into the air [allowing the chinchilla-guided-ball] to roll under and past her, then land back on the floor unscaved.   :D   

Animals are very loving and funny creatures!  They can relax you and make you laugh even if you don't feel like it.  Better medicine than any tranquilizer I know!   rofl   Man could learn much from animals, if he would only look and learn.   :::grins::

::wave::  Jo Ann
There are no dumb questions ...
    Only regrets they were not asked ...

Luv 'N Chins (Kid Friendly)
www.luvnchins.com/NewPagesAndArticles.html
My Little Jamie
www.luvnchins.com/AvailableForAdoption.html

Luv 'N Chins II (NOT kid friendly - Medical)
Being re-built! Geocities closed

obiwan

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2009, 08:16:57 PM »

I've been worrying about the cat instinct until Obi scared my snowshoe (Soxy.) She's a hunter and neither of my cats is declawed (don't believe in it.) But the girls are only allowed around him when supervised. Otherwise the door to his room is shut. I'm honestly not worried about the flame point (Penelope) as she's too lazy to chase even a string. Penelope and Obi have done this twice more. I'm going to have to get it on video, it's so cute. He sits on the level where they are level and they talk like they're having a conversation.  :::grins::

Hoppinchins

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2009, 02:07:10 PM »

Thats cute that they play together. I have two chins that turned a year in October and A kitty that will be one in March. He's been around the chins since  he was about 8-10 weeks old. It was cute bc at first he was interested in them, but scared of them at the same time. Pogo would come to the end of the fence while Our kitty, Waldo was there and then he would back up. He did this also when they would run on the saucer. Waldo will meow around there cage and the room when we lock him out while the chins are playing.

People have said that he just wants to play with them. That may be true, but i'm worried to find out. Plus he's not declawed. I doubt he would hurt them and it would be cute if they could play together, but I don't think its worth finding out.

Debbie.nl.ca

• Breeder
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2009, 09:41:30 AM »

My cat was a rescue and already done.The vets declaw here while neutering house cats.
I'm glad he is, and it doesn't stop them from scratching and getting that excersie I asure you.It only stops him from tearing stuff up including the chins.      ::nod::   
 I am a big fan of declawing if your getting your cat neutered. That's just me  ;)
Debbie.nl.ca

obiwan

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2009, 08:30:45 PM »

I've thought about declawing my snowshoe as she has more trouble retracting her claws as she gets older but I've seen the side effects of what can happen if it's not done right and don't want to risk putting my animals through. My cousin's vet did not get the entire joint and it started regrowing back. It took about 6 months before the cat was in bad enough condition that he couldn't hide the pain. Then they had to amputate his left paw.  :::((( I would rather train my babies to use a scratchin post and buy them toys than to risk it. But if your experiences have been all good Debbie and your vet doesn't miss then go for it. You've got to do the best you can to take care of your pets.  :::grins::

Hoppinchins

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2009, 09:51:31 PM »

I'm personalty against declawing. My friends and family members that have had cats declayed in past, have had bad things to say. They said that there cat gets mean.And if he's ever excape then he wouldn't be able to defend himself. Those are like his fingers to him. I'm sure not all cats act like that, but inless i had a real bad cat thet wripped everything up or would scratch at us or guests, then i'd prob do it and hope for the best. but as long as you teach them right when you get him were to scratch at, it should be fine. I'v never had a problem. 

Jo Ann

• Global Moderator
  • Appreciation points: 59
  • Chinchillas are a little bit of heaven on earth.
    • View Profile
    • Luv 'N Chins
« Reply #10 on: December 24, 2009, 12:28:36 AM »

I've been worrying about the cat instinct until Obi scared my snowshoe (Soxy.) She's a hunter and neither of my cats is declawed (don't believe in it.) But the girls are only allowed around him when supervised. Otherwise the door to his room is shut. I'm honestly not worried about the flame point (Penelope) as she's too lazy to chase even a string. Penelope and Obi have done this twice more. I'm going to have to get it on video, it's so cute. He sits on the level where they are level and they talk like they're having a conversation.  :::grins::
::silly::  Yes, some chins will do this ... some cats will ... you are lucky to have one of both at the same time!  I have one chin that seems to love to carry on a conversation with me ... very polite ... never interrupts and takes it's turn.  Conversations often last a few minutes.   :::grins::

Cats ... I've only had two cats, both were inside only cats, while having my chins ... neither cat showed intrest in putting a paw even near the chins, but would set and watch them from a distance.  One scratch from a claw or tooth of a cat can often set up an infection that can kill a chin.  Chins often look like a fun, live play toy to a cat.

Feline distemper (cat pneumonia) is highly contagious and can kill a chin in under 48 hours.  A cat does not have to be sick to be a carrier of feline distemper.

When a cat is de-clawed, they will usually only de-claw the front paws ... the rear paws are the ones that cause the most damage in a fight.  The front paws slap, nick and tear, the back paws dig and rip with the use of the strong muscles of the hind legs.  The front claws are used more in catching small prey, but can be used in a fight to help hold on to it's opponent.

Cats and chinchillas has to be a personal choice, one that is made knowing the possibilities and willing to accept the responsibility, should the worst happen.

Saying that, my two cats were great with my chins, but I doubt I will press my luck a third time.   :)

::howdythere::  Jo Ann
There are no dumb questions ...
    Only regrets they were not asked ...

Luv 'N Chins (Kid Friendly)
www.luvnchins.com/NewPagesAndArticles.html
My Little Jamie
www.luvnchins.com/AvailableForAdoption.html

Luv 'N Chins II (NOT kid friendly - Medical)
Being re-built! Geocities closed

Debbie.nl.ca

• Breeder
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 26, 2009, 02:55:03 PM »

Yes that's right Jo Ann he still has his back claws and they are the ones that do the most damage in a cat fight. They do bite too.
I do have an excllent vet. ;) And as the cat was my mother-in-laws my vet did his surgery.
But no I would never leave my cat in the chin room with out me being there. Instinct is instinct nothing an animal can do about it.
We've all see way too many attacks of large tamed animals gone wrong. From bears too tigers even dogs, my chins are my babies and I treat them as such. So is my cat, so I wouldn't put him in a postion I couldn't handle.
Debbie.nl.ca
Pages: [1]   Go Up