Chinchillas.org

Chinchilla Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: CAGNEY (eye infection)  (Read 1751 times)

Bogart

• Appreciation points: 0
  • Bogart & Cagney
    • View Profile
CAGNEY (eye infection)
« on: January 26, 2010, 10:55:09 PM »

Ok, Cagney had an eye infection the first part of Jan., his left eye was sealed shut. I warm compressed it, it opened up on it's own...and all this white puss came out. Rinsed with contact lens cleaner (vet recommends such). Then the right started up, not as bad as the left. Warm compress, made sure was all cleaned out and no crusties left behind on his hair.

So today, I noticed the left eye again is closed and got right on top of i as before!!!!  I am wondering if the dust is causing this?? Bogart is fine, no problem. They dust 2 a week, NO dust while Cagney is healing

Took him to the vet, was checked over, teeth are great, ears are great, he is in great condition!!!! The vet gave me TERRAMYCIN, 1/4 strip on eye 2 a day.

Laurie
Black Viper's 500 LMTD

Lori Ramsey Earle

• Appreciation points: 42
    • View Profile
Re: CAGNEY (eye infection)
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2010, 09:09:08 PM »

Sounds like a bacterial infection. Dust can cause irritation, and if the irritation isn't alleviated, the eye could be more susceptible to infection. My vet prescribes Gentamicin eye drops - I find the drops easier to use(less gookier) than an ointment. If you don't have good luck with the Terramycin, you could always ask your vet about the Gentamicin.
I use an eye wash solution made by Bausch and Lomb for flushing out the eye. You might want to be more specific in your post as to what you mean by contact lens cleaner. I wear gas perm contacts, and the cleaner is not meant for use in the eye(it stings like heck).
Since Cagney is prone to eye irritation, make it part of your routine to clean his eyes after each dustbath. This will go a long ways towards preventing infection.
Hope his infection clears up quickly!
Lori

Bogart

• Appreciation points: 0
  • Bogart & Cagney
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2010, 06:19:50 AM »

Good morning Lori:
Thank you for your reply, it is very informative for me:):) Yes, the ointment is messier and gets on his coat, he wipes his eye w/his Lil paw. I also use a baby shirt w/short sleeves, so not to slip his coat, I put his head thru the short sleeve, and am better to hold on to him also. His paws are out of my way, he doesn't slip coat, I have better control of him. Just an FYI, it does work!!!

I have soft contacts and have solution that (I can use in my eyes) I use Bausch & Vet says that it was fine to use, I do warm it in my armpit so its not soo cold for his eye:(:(:(. I will ask vet today about the Gentamycin this AM, and will keep in mind about cleaning his eyes after bath time.

Again, thank you very, very much!!!
Laurie
Black Viper's 500 LMTD

Debbie.nl.ca

• Breeder
  • Appreciation points: 30
    • View Profile
    • Debbie's Newfoundland Chinchillas
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2010, 03:42:31 PM »

How is Cagney's eye now? Getting better I hope.
Debbie.nl.ca
Pages: [1]   Go Up