Chinchillas.org

Chinchilla Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Dare I say, "Depressed Chinchilla"?  (Read 4444 times)

DarkMoonSlayer

• Appreciation points: 0
    • View Profile
Dare I say, "Depressed Chinchilla"?
« on: January 21, 2010, 09:10:16 PM »

So in November I had to put one of my Chinchillas, Gandalf, down because he had malocclusions that couldn't be treated. He was one of two chinchillas I owned and the two chinchillas were cagemates for pretty much their entire life, as long as I and the previous owner had had them at the least.

Now my remaining chinchilla, Merlin, is acting in a way that makes me wonder if he is depressed over the loss of his lifelong friend. Right after Gandalf died Merlin became lazy and disinterested in leaving the cage for play time and only left his hidey-hole to eat and drink. In early December he seemed to be getting better and getting a bit more spunky, and then I had to leave for my dad's for Christmas and New Years. I was gone for about 2 weeks and when I came back Merlin was acting depressed again. Normally when I leave for vacation he is fine but I'm thinking I may have messed up leaving him when I did.

So far this month he has gotten a little better, he comes out for treats, and will sit on my shoulder for a little while, but over all he still seems pretty sad, and still doesn't seem interested in play time outside the cage

The thought has crossed my mind that maybe he needs a new cagemate, but I've heard chinchillas can be aggressive to other chins they don't know that they are introduced to as adults. My chinchilla is at least 5 years old and I don't know what to expect when introducing a new chinchilla.

If you can think of anything else that might cheer him up besides a new chin to play with I would ba happy to hear those suggestions too.

chinclub

• Site Owner
  • Administrator
  • Appreciation points: 66
    • View Profile
    • Lowcountry Chinchillas
Re: Dare I say, "Depressed Chinchilla"?
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2010, 07:04:25 AM »

I'm so sorry about your chinchilla.  It sure sounds like he is missing his cage mate.  You are right that there is no guarantee that a new chinchilla would get along as well with him.  Your options are to get another chin with the possibility that you might have to keep them in side by side cages forever.  Or, try your best to bring him out of it.  Lots of play time in new areas of the house (chin proofed of course)  new toys - redecorate the cage, a chin-safe stuffed animal he can cuddle with.

Lowcountry Chinchillas

Walterboro, South Carolina

cusunfireguy

• Appreciation points: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2010, 07:05:45 AM »

Most times, it is easier to introduce an adult to a kit.  The transition tends to go easier.  Other than that, I would try a stuffed animal, toilet paper rolls and hiding the treats around the cage to provide more stimulation.  Sorry to hear about your loss and good luck!

steven
Steven Mobley<br /><br />\"Free Schapelle Corby\"!

DarkMoonSlayer

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2010, 11:07:23 AM »

I'm trying to convince my mom to crochet a doll from a pattern I found for Merlin, other then that I've been taking him out of the cage to run around more. Also stashing treats around the room for him to look for. He seems to be getting a bit more friendly towards me but still really sad in his cage.

Hippo

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2010, 09:35:41 PM »

I wouild take extra time bonding with him.  At least he'll know he still has someone to love.  That said, a new cagemate would be quite helpful.

Debbie.nl.ca

• Breeder
  • Appreciation points: 30
    • View Profile
    • Debbie's Newfoundland Chinchillas
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2010, 11:13:33 AM »

Yes give him the extra attention, and just like us in time his morning will stop and he'll learn a new routine.
Debbie.nl.ca

jmdebb

• Appreciation points: 28
    • View Profile
    • Chinchilla Supplies
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2010, 02:09:12 PM »

sorry for your loss. and for your depressed chin.. yes it can be hard to introduce a new chin.. but like someone a kit might work.. let me explain a situation i went threw and you decide for yourself..

okay i have two males..chinny and bo [both laid back].. they used to live together .. i had 3 females and i wanted to try to breed.  so after all is said and done, now my males cannot be housed together.. chinny will go after bo now.. so if i didn't breed them they would of been living together still..

okay, one of my kits got out of the cage [bad chin mommy, i did'nt have a kit cage, i tried to kit proof it, but he still got out].  and even thou i know it was not a good thing to do, it's kind of cute.. okay so the little kit used to come out of the cage at night when the door got shut, walk around the room, do his thing.. then when he was done, go back in the cage...  :2funny:

one day i was just sitting there and instead of putting him back in the cage, i just watched him.  not only did he come out of his cage, he went to visit bo and chinny.. and chinny was perfectly fine with him.. didn't care one bit.  so... if i kept him, he would of been housed with chin. know of course i can't say this will be true for all chins.. but its what i experienced.

jean
Your One Stop Chin Shop
http://www.tjschinchillasupplies.com/chinchillafood.html
Huge variety, safe, affordable & brand names
:)
:)
Pages: [1]   Go Up