Chinchillas.org

Chinchilla Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: New Chin  (Read 1678 times)

1Riotmaker7

• Appreciation points: 0
    • View Profile
New Chin
« on: March 03, 2010, 02:37:16 AM »

Hello, im new to the site and new to owning chinchillas. I currently have only one and have only had it for two days so far. I currently work at a petsmart and we just started selling chinchillas we have only had three so far and still have one. I remember getting pretty attached to the first one we had and was sad when we sold it because I wasnt even there to make sure the people were a good home for her. I would have gotten her but she was $150. I recently decided I wanted a chinchilla and was searching on craigslist and came across an ad for one for &80 with cage and everything. So I went and talked to the guy to find out the chinchilla he was selling was the very first chinchilla we sold, he had gotten her for his girlfriend but they recently broke up. So it all ended well I got the chinchilla I wanted. Her cage is made out of galvanized steel though and there wasnt anything on the bottom so she has been walking on those thin steel wires which have huge gaps in between them and her feet were slipping through. We got some cardboard and put it in a pillow case then put it on the bottom.

My only question is how do I tame her? She freaks out when we hold her and starts kicking. Is she always going to be timid? We can reach in her cage and pet her for a second or two somtimes but then she usually runs off. What are some things me and my boyfriend can do to gain her trust and tame her down?

Srqt

• Appreciation points: 0
  • Minerva <3
    • View Profile
Re: New Chin
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2010, 11:11:14 AM »

Patience is the biggest part of taming and bonding with our chin. Don't force yourself on her.

I have always had luck with offering a treat while she is in her cage, let her get used to you and know your smell. As you do this more and more you should move the treat from your hand further down your arm so your chin has to climb on you to get to it. This is a great way to earn her trust and bond with her,  make sure you dont give more than one treat a day though, you can cut a raisin into 4 or 5 pieces if you want to make it go further.

The other thing that works well for me is making sure you are there for their out of cage time, I like to lay down in the area that they are running in and they love to climb all over me :).

Gaining a chin's trust and affection takes time and patience but it is very rewarding.

olivia41

• Appreciation points: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2010, 02:09:03 PM »

do not reach your hand into her cage and try to grab her, this will make her see you as an intruder. instead, for the first few days try just sitting by her cage and talking to her, read her stories, let her hear your voice. after about a week you can try letting her out and explore, lay down on the floor or sit and let her run on you, dont try to grab her just let her smell you. try a treat. i'm sure you'll fall in love with her soon  rofl

Jenova

• Appreciation points: 6
  • Cheech ^_^
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2010, 06:22:01 PM »

Such a nice story in the end. ::nod::

It usually takes about six months for a chinchilla to properly settle down and trust you. Lots of patience and peace offerings of tasty treats. Sit by the cage as much as you can just talking to her putting you hands up to the outside to let her smell you and stroking her if she doesn't mind (i.e. doesn't bite you). They love to be tickled under the chin. If she does bite 'squeak' in pain so she knows she's hurt you as chinnies also bite to say hello. rofl

If you can sit with your lap by the door so she can come onto your lap in her own time, and again tempt her with treats. You don't want to give too many, but you can cut raisins and other things into small pieces so it feels like more treats.

Try to get some pine in there for her to sit on, she must be uncomfortable, bless her. You've done a good job with the cardboard though. Also see if you can get a sleeping box or hideaway. An old shoebox with a hole in will do for now. :)

Have a look around the forum for advice on feeding and changing food and make sure she has lots of hay. I'm sure she's much happier with you already. Just have patience and you two will be inseparable soon enough.  ;)

olivia41

• Appreciation points: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2010, 06:50:38 PM »

Such a nice story in the end. ::nod::

It usually takes about six months for a chinchilla to properly settle down and trust you. Lots of patience and peace offerings of tasty treats.

i think it depends more on the chin, six months is not neccesarily a set number. my first boy settled in within two weeks, but my second boy is still settling in (8 months later) it just depends on the chins individual personality, they're all unique! ::nod::
Pages: [1]   Go Up