Chinchillas.org

Chinchilla Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: letting him outside in the spring  (Read 1923 times)

sarahlydear

• Appreciation points: 0
    • View Profile
letting him outside in the spring
« on: March 20, 2010, 05:51:04 PM »

ok so im in a little town in kansas and spring is on its way!(was at least) and i was wondering about letting dear little Herby out to enjoy the fresh air( i have a nice section where i used to let my rabbits run around, its off to the side out of the wind and in the shade) now i dont have any idea what grass will do to a chinny, and thats kinda a big part of my yard so exclude: dogs, cats, toxins, random peices of wood and what not, i would clear all of those out of course and the place is durable and high (i may put a roof on it just in case though). would that be acceptable? also i used to let my rabbits explore outside on a bunny walker, it was a harness that went around their neck, under the stomach and the hook for the leash is on the top, would i be able to use that on him? advise and knowledge wanted and very appreciated!!!!

chinclub

• Site Owner
  • Administrator
  • Appreciation points: 66
    • View Profile
    • Lowcountry Chinchillas
Re: letting him outside in the spring
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2010, 10:50:40 AM »

My gut says no.  The biggest fear would be escape since they can squeeze through tiny holes and jump 7 feet straight up in the air. The dangers far outweigh the positives.  Also, I would be concerned about the grass.  We don't feed chinchillas fresh veggies because their little digestive systems can't handle the excess moisture.  I'm guessing too much fresh grass could cause the same situation and bring on diarrhea which can be fatal in chinchillas as they dehydrate so fast.  The other main concern is overheating.  You need to know the temperature (F) and humidity of the area.  Add those together.  If the two numbers added together equal 150 or higher your chinchilla is in danger of over heating.

Lowcountry Chinchillas

Walterboro, South Carolina

Debbie.nl.ca

• Breeder
  • Appreciation points: 30
    • View Profile
    • Debbie's Newfoundland Chinchillas
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2010, 01:22:25 PM »

I would so no as well.

You can use the harness to secure him in your arms and walk around with him. If your sure he's safe in it and can't get out of it you could let him bounce around for a bit.
Mine love running up & down the out side steps, and on the deck.
I'd never leave them outside for any length of time, for all the reason Jamie said.

I sold one to a lady whom I met some months later. She told me she let hers out in the fenced garden and came back to find her gone. :doh:
We'll never know of she got out or a bird of pray got her.
Debbie.nl.ca

sarahlydear

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2010, 02:02:03 PM »

id like to say, of course id check the temp and i would Never leave him outside alone! what i was most worried about was what the grass would do to him if he ate any of it. Herby HATES being confined, like you wouldnt believe hates it, so i thought it might be nice for him to get out for a little while, and ive been looking for a harness that would fit him, the one i have is for french lops(big rabbits), but thank ya'll for the advise

Debbie.nl.ca

• Breeder
  • Appreciation points: 30
    • View Profile
    • Debbie's Newfoundland Chinchillas
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2010, 12:57:26 PM »

Mine never bothered much, eating grass and stuff, but would stop for a munch on dandelions. As I have never used pesticides or treated the lawn it was safe.
Mostly they just want to check everything out, and jump .
Debbie.nl.ca

flynhawaiian

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2010, 06:14:42 PM »

They make those pet runs that have vinyl tops.  I think that petco or petsmart has them.  Honestly I would get one for the top and one for the bottom.  They will get out, I've seen both of my chinchilla's scale fences before.  Seriously they are like spiderman!
Pages: [1]   Go Up