Chinchillas.org

Chinchilla Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: HELP HE ATE RUBBERMAID BLUE ICE  (Read 4736 times)

sarahlydear

• Appreciation points: 0
    • View Profile
HELP HE ATE RUBBERMAID BLUE ICE
« on: May 25, 2010, 06:32:32 PM »

ok so I'm in Kansas its been 80 w/ a 90%humidity so Ive been putting coolers in with Herbs, usually the one marble slab i have and a plastic hard cooler that i wrap tightly in a blanket(he doesn't ever bother it, he only chews on the slab) , well they were both warm and i was in a hurry to get out the door this morning so i threw in a rubbermaid blue ice lunch pack wrapped in a towel and meant to tell my mom to exchange it as soon as one of the others cooled down, well i forgot and came home to find that he had chewed a hole in it and it was all over the towel. he seems to be acting ok but sluggish I'm being hopefull and saying that he just isn't up yet, it was around 4when i found it(sun sets at like 8/9ish so still early) and hes eaten Alot of other things that are bad for him(i was SOOO not prepared when i got a chin) and hes acted fine but i don't want to push my luck so any advice?
my vet is closed but if he acts differently tonight ill definitely find her tomorrow morning just any help getting there?

left027

• Appreciation points: 1
    • View Profile
Re: HELP HE ATE RUBBERMAID BLUE ICE
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2010, 07:43:53 PM »

Well, I haven't looked up anything yet, but I'm guessing they blue rubbermaid thing had some sort of coolant/anti-freeze in it.  I've always heard milk can neutralize most of the harmful effects of antifreeze.  I'm pretty sure chins can't puke so that options out.  Right now I'd try milk.

left027

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2010, 07:51:20 PM »

Okay just found the MSDS for it.

http://www.vistalab.com/Resources/Document%20Categories/MSDS%20Sheets/RRCooler.pdf

They, of course, didn't say what to do in case of ingestion, but from the note to physician section it looks like you should monitor the chin frequently.  It's going to probably have some indigestion problems like diarrhea.  Yeah I can't find very many tips on helping with diarrhea.  I guess just monitor the chin and let your vet know in the morning...  I'm not sure if milk will help now btw.

left027

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2010, 08:01:50 PM »

Sorry to commenting so many different comments.  I probably shouldn't post this link...   It's a scary article.  It's about dogs.  So hopefully your chin didn't consume very much...

http://www.ehow.com/list_6361135_symptoms-propylene-glycol-poisoning-dog.html

The concerning part is that you said your chin was sluggish.  Does your vet have an emergency line?  Or does any vet near you?  Since chinchillas are significantly smaller than dogs I think it's imperative you get help.  Who knows, maybe your chin didn't consume any.  The one good thing is that Propylene Glycol is the "Safe Antifreeze" so it really could have been much much much worse.  Best of luck... :(

EDIT:

Okay just found this article.

http://www.peteducation.com/article.cfm?c=2+1677+1684&aid=2801

Much better!  Propylene Glycol is apparently in concentrations around 50% and tastes terrible.  Your chin hopefully took a lick and then left it alone.  Since it's an alcohol your chin may just be tipsy.  Still try to get in touch with a vet though.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2010, 08:06:53 PM by left027 »

sarahlydear

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2010, 09:14:21 PM »

thanks for the advice!
im about to let him run for the night so we'll pray and see how that goes and i may try to give him some milk but he can be picky and may not like it....that it taste terrible? that gives me hope he has a Very big sweet tooth.

cadillactaste

• Appreciation points: 5
  • Fluffy (Standard) and Nibbles (Violet)
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2010, 06:20:23 AM »

Nothing to add...except that I hope that he pulls through...if he was wet. He may gotten a chill...Is what I'm thinking. Hopefully the towel absorbed most of the liquid.

What's your vet saying?
~Darlene

Harleychin

• Appreciation points: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2010, 07:35:16 AM »

80 degees is way to hot for a chin you need AC.
 Keep in mind that anything you put in your chins cage they will chew.
Even if he's acting OK today I would call my vet to see if he needs any blood testing done.
You should also see about finding an emergency vet as most problems happen at night.
I hope he's OK.
Sandy

sarahlydear

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2010, 08:58:31 AM »

o trust me i do have the AC on i wont let it get any hotter than 70 and even then I'm iffy about it(its most due to the bills that i keep it off)
well last night Herbs was a bit slow but other than that he seemed fine, he didn't like all the checking him out i was trying to do which is a good sign and this morning he acted perfectly fine. unfortunately I'm not going to be at home today so i wont be able to check on him frequently :( but i will call the vet and see what she thinks.
Thank y'all SO much.

OK the vet said that because he isn't showing ill signs then he's probably OK  :::grins:: and i shouldn't have to come in

cadillactaste

• Appreciation points: 5
  • Fluffy (Standard) and Nibbles (Violet)
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2010, 09:16:30 AM »

Well yeah...with him showing signs of improvement. There was no reason for him to now be seen. As to the humidity...With high humidity it makes that 80 degrees seem even hotter. If you can't afford the central air at this time. I would invest in a window air conditioner. That would allow you to at least keep their room cooler than the rest of the house. Or...if you have a basement...and it's typically cooler in basements. I might even consider moving their cage down there. To keep them cooler. It's way to hot with humidity levels high...for those with fur coats.  ;)
~Darlene

Debbie.nl.ca

• Breeder
  • Appreciation points: 30
    • View Profile
    • Debbie's Newfoundland Chinchillas
« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2010, 08:49:05 AM »

What a rush , so glad he didn't drink it.

I have to make myself take that last look around the room just to make sure I didn't leave a door unlocked or a sweeper in the cage.My little brooms for sweeping off the shelves I have a habit of leaving in the cage, and they are made of plastic. ::) A chins favorite no no chew!
Debbie.nl.ca

sarahlydear

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2010, 12:46:27 PM »

maybe you don't understand i do have the ac on and we've been keeping it on, its just when it cools down that we may turn it off and that is because of the money. but right now it is on, we the humans aren't ready to live with the heat so it works out.
I'm still a bit worried hes still acting more subdued, not acting sick really but hes started taking naps during play time, not long ones but still...I'm hoping its just the temp change working on him(its his first actual summer)....
Pages: [1]   Go Up