Chinchillas.org

Chinchilla Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: How do I bond with my aggressive male?  (Read 2018 times)

Mcdoog7

• Appreciation points: 0
    • View Profile
How do I bond with my aggressive male?
« on: May 27, 2010, 02:42:15 PM »

I bought my male not quite a year ago and when I first met him, he was very docile and let me hold him. I bought him as a companion for my female, Goodie. When I try to put my hand up to him while he's in the cage, he will lash out at me (not all the time, but a fair amount of the time) and bite me. Not so hard where there's blood, but it does hurt. I am wondering why he is like this? He does have a past of being aggressive (with another male chinchilla, and that's why the lady sold him to me). I've been making more of an effort to bond with him by taking him out of his cage and letting him sit on my shoulder for a bit while I walk around my house. I even stood on my deck once with him when it was nice outside, and he was so calm in my arms, so sometimes he can be a real sweetheart.

chinclub

• Site Owner
  • Administrator
  • Appreciation points: 66
    • View Profile
    • Lowcountry Chinchillas
Re: How do I bond with my aggressive male?
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2010, 06:40:30 AM »

Is he in his cage alone?  If he is you can assume he is probably just scared and aggression is his way of showing if.  If he isn't alone then he could just be over protective of his cage mate.  Either way you need to show him that you are no threat.  Stop your behavior that causes his.  Draw an imaginary line in the cage just inside the door and make a point never to cross that line with your hand.  Sit quietly with your hand just inside the door.  Turn on the tv, read a book, anything to pass the time and just wait.  Put treats or a pile of dust in your palm.  DON"T MOVE!!  Do this a little everyday.  You need to retrain your chinchilla to associate your hands with good things.  He needs to think when your hand is inside the cage it gives good things but doesn't grab.  When he approaches your hand don't move, don't touch him.  Keep this up until he seems to look forward to your visit and comes right up with no hesitation.  Then you bregin working on petting again and much later picking him up again.

Lowcountry Chinchillas

Walterboro, South Carolina

Blondy40

• Appreciation points: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2010, 07:44:55 AM »

I have one female and one male that do not bite but cry sometimes and run away when I go to the cage...on and off...will take treats sometimes and at other times, will not. I give them space and that is exactly what they want...I give them the freedom to make the decision to come to me. It is time consuming and takes a lot of patience because I do just want to love them and spoil them. But, If I go after them, I am hurting my chances of ever gaining their trust. The rewards are so much greater when they come to you of their own free will and the bond grows much deeper if it happens this way and not in a forceful, over-bearing way. I try and put myself in their position..I mean, face it, we are much larger than they are and who knows how they see us if they are afraid or hesitant. That is their cage, their territory and I understand this. Have patience and it will work out ...It make take time but it will be worth it in the end if you gain their trust and respect!  :) ;)  Thay are such precious creatures of mother nature's making!  Good Luck on your quest! ::nod::

Mcdoog7

• Appreciation points: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2010, 09:14:00 AM »

Thanks. Yes, he is alone in his cage, I separated them so that my female won't get pregnant right now. Whenever I open up his cage he does come to me, but only to try to escape. It almost seems like he hates me, I've never had such a grouchy chin before.

Courtney

• Appreciation points: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2010, 03:21:06 AM »

When he bites I think he wants to be left alone. I had a chinchilla exactly like that, he could be a sweetie and then sometimes he would bite (even drew blood). When he would bite or spray that was him telling me he wanted to be left alone. But there were times where he would snuggle and want to play. He’s just trying to tell you he wants to be left alone. That’s all.

Six Chinchillas<br />Two Jack Russell Terriers<br />Two Parrots<br />Four Fish Tanks

Debbie.nl.ca

• Breeder
  • Appreciation points: 30
    • View Profile
    • Debbie's Newfoundland Chinchillas
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2010, 07:00:13 AM »

Agreed and for the most part I would just let him be.
But if you need to check him, weigh him or anything just do it. You are the head of the herd. Just let him know you will play his game unless!
When he'll let you hold soak it up. ;)
Debbie.nl.ca
Pages: [1]   Go Up