Chinchillas.org

Chinchilla Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Aggressive behavioral issues. Can chins be territorial?  (Read 1141 times)

kyleroger

• Appreciation points: 0
    • View Profile
Aggressive behavioral issues. Can chins be territorial?
« on: July 01, 2010, 01:32:02 AM »

Well my little guy that's been difficult to get along with since I have gotten in him march has recently taken a few steps back. He has actually been getting pretty good with being petted but recently he won't let me touch him, gas been "barking", and even bit me once. I moved their cage because I fell ill and wasn't sure if it was due to allergies (thought I grew out of them as a teen since I have lived with many animals recently). Well I thought that the move would have been beneficial for them too as they have more privacy. But since I have moved them he has been acting very territorial, or so it seems. Like I said, he barks, today it was EVERY time I came near him. I don't know if it is because he doesn't recognize me anymore, even though I obviously have to feed them every day and play with them. Or has he gotten used to the area and marked it as his own, since he doesn't see me walk by often as he did when they were in the hallway. My girl doesn't act any different, just lil boy. I'm also wondering if he could he territorial over her?

Any advice to what could be happening is appreciated and let me know if I could clarify anything that may make things clearer.

Another concern that I have is if my girl has kits (undetermined if she is pregnant because I never discovered the plug but she is showing other signs), is there anything bad that could come from them not being around the father? If she has kits while he is acting like this there is no doubt they will be stressing out because of his behavior. I don't want them stressing out or learning some of his behaviors so I'd really want to separate him, but I want to weigh out the cons before I make up my mind, so any advice concerning that would be appreciated as well!  :'(

chinclub

• Site Owner
  • Administrator
  • Appreciation points: 66
    • View Profile
    • Lowcountry Chinchillas
Re: Aggressive behavioral issues. Can chins be territorial?
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2010, 07:20:15 AM »

So sorry to hear about your boy.  It could be several things.  Sometimes males will protect their females so that could be the problem.  The moving of the cage could have upset him causing the issue.  Or it could be something you have changed, a new shampoo or soap that makes you smell different. 

Pros of leaving the two together after delivery: 
Dad can help care for the babies.
Dad is still happily with Mom

Cons:
Dad will try to breed back to mom and can crush and kill babies in the process
Mom can pregnant while she is still nursing babies.
If the cage has multi level shelves the babies can fall and get hurt or even killed
If the cage has wire opening greater than 1/2 x 1 inch the babies will walk right out of the cage the first day they are born.

If you do decide to remove Dad please watch his food and water intake.  Males can go into depression and stop eating to the point of killing themselves when they miss their mate.

Lowcountry Chinchillas

Walterboro, South Carolina

z168

• Appreciation points: 1
    • View Profile
Re: Aggressive behavioral issues. Can chins be territorial?
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2010, 01:30:08 PM »

hey Kyle, sorry to hear that. my story for my 2 boys is different. they were aggressive when I got them.

before they wouldnt even let me pet them longer than 2seconds. I always had to wear leather gloves to access into their cage bec they bite. now I can freely put my hand in. and if one tries to sniff my arm or hand I push them with my hand or arm a bit they back off. now I am happy to report than I can carry 1 of them and him not make a fuss. the other still barks (yelps?).
Pages: [1]   Go Up