Chinchillas.org

Chinchilla Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Travel questions  (Read 1528 times)

mikelee912

• Appreciation points: 0
    • View Profile
Travel questions
« on: July 08, 2010, 11:31:20 AM »

My Fiancee and I are looking into getting a Chinchilla, but after looking into it for a few months it had came to our attention that they dont like change. My fiancee and I travel, ALOT, in fact we are in a different hotel room every week and Sunday nights/all Monday are typically dedicated to bus or airplane travel. And we do this 8 months of the year. Currently we have time off at home, about 2 months. My question is, thinking back to a class in school, most animals have an adolescence development period, similar to people, Is the constant travel and new environments something the chinchillas (We wanted 2) could adapt to? If it is something that is unlikely or not worth the risk what is another option as far as a pet that can travel?

left027

• Appreciation points: 1
    • View Profile
Re: Travel questions
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2010, 11:46:34 AM »

I have not found an airline that allows chinchillas on board yet.  It's pretty lame.  If I were you, I wouldn't get one.  I <3 my boys a lot, but if I were traveling all the time there's no way I'd be able to take care of them.  I mean, I spend a good hour a night with my boys with just play time and then you need to clean their cage, change their water, give them food, and they need adequate space in a cage to live in.  I mean, my cage for my two boys is 3 feet long, 3 feet tall, and a foot and a half deep.  No way you could take it on a plane.  As for cars, chinchillas overheat really easily and if you put the AC on full blast you may give them a chill.  I, personally, don't think traveling plus chins is a good idea.  If you're only gone a little bit each week, you could get a chin-sitter.

jmdebb

• Appreciation points: 28
    • View Profile
    • Chinchilla Supplies
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2010, 01:12:21 PM »

hi... i don't mean to sound cruel, but i think getting a chinchilla with your lifestyle is the last thing you should be doing.

there are so many reasons why. 

one of them is the way you travel.. chinchillas shouldn't be traveling that much. it can be very dangerous to them.. they can die if the temps are too high or too cold, especially in a cargo area of a plane, not the mention the noise.  i could be wrong, but i believe this is why alot of people won't ship them.    not to mention all that stress isn't good for them, they can die from just that.. actually a breeder i know, told me she lost every chin she was driving to a show once due to stress.  and that was just driving, i can't imagine flying...

need more reasons???? other than what left027 said too [no sarcasim meant]
Your One Stop Chin Shop
http://www.tjschinchillasupplies.com/chinchillafood.html
Huge variety, safe, affordable & brand names
:)
:)

z168

• Appreciation points: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2010, 09:24:36 AM »

From "10 reasons not to get a chinchilla" it mentions they dont travel well. And if traveling is part of the lifestyle it might prove fatal to them.

jbcstratton

• Appreciation points: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2010, 03:25:45 PM »

Even if you got a chin or two and had someone to watch them they may not bond really well to you if you aren't there alot.  Also I agree they would not be able to travel with you, their temperature requirements are too strict for alot of travel.
Brandy
Pages: [1]   Go Up