Chinchillas.org

Chinchilla Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Chin has lots of loose fur?  (Read 2929 times)

CuteFoosa

• Appreciation points: 0
    • View Profile
Chin has lots of loose fur?
« on: July 12, 2010, 09:45:09 AM »

I was at the pet store a few days ago when I really noticed how soft a chinchilla's fur can look.  When I got home I closely examined my chinchilla, thinking his fur didn't look so soft because of his uneven color.  However, his face and neck are as soft as can be, but his back and hind legs have a ton of fur partially sticking out.  I know that dust baths assist in the removal but he barely loses any of his fur when taking his bath.  Could I not be using enough dust, are his baths too short, or are there other methods I can use to remove his fur? (Without having to search for those special grooming combs.)

jmdebb

• Appreciation points: 28
    • View Profile
    • Chinchilla Supplies
Re: Chin has lots of loose fur?
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2010, 10:28:57 AM »

hi there.

i'm not sure of the correct terminology, but chinchillas so shed, malt..  [?].  i have heard two different stories as to when they do.. one breeder told me spring and fall like dogs, another person who has had chins many many years said it has something to do with when they are born...  i don't really understand the way that works.

anyways, my bo sheds, but ya know, i never really notice the loose fur on anyone else, ever.. i wonder why... ::shrug::
Your One Stop Chin Shop
http://www.tjschinchillasupplies.com/chinchillafood.html
Huge variety, safe, affordable & brand names
:)

Courtney

• Appreciation points: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2010, 06:49:04 AM »

One of my chinchillas Tucker gets that. I give him extra sand baths and brush him. I just use a soft brush from Walmart. You can also cute them off, don't pull because it will hurt. I know it's tempting.  ;)
Six Chinchillas<br />Two Jack Russell Terriers<br />Two Parrots<br />Four Fish Tanks

z168

• Appreciation points: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2010, 09:33:19 AM »

And i was worried mine were shedding too much. One of mine has a bald spot on its tail

jmdebb

• View Profile
    • Chinchilla Supplies
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2010, 10:23:13 AM »

courtney, i have to admit, i pull mine all the time.. it's like an OCD thing with me.. lol..i see a clump of fur, i have to pull it, not just on the chins, on all the animals.. but i only do it when it is out far, so you know its not still attached and it won't hurt, and i pull slowly too.. so if it was by any chance still attached it wouldn't hurt. 

z - if your chin has a bald spot on his tail, i wouldn't think its from the fur falling out.. you might want to get that checked.

jean
Your One Stop Chin Shop

Courtney

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2010, 04:04:55 AM »

courtney, i have to admit, i pull mine all the time.. it's like an OCD thing with me.. lol..i see a clump of fur, i have to pull it, not just on the chins, on all the animals.. but i only do it when it is out far, so you know its not still attached and it won't hurt, and i pull slowly too.. so if it was by any chance still attached it wouldn't hurt. 

Your funny!!!   :2funny:
Six Chinchillas<br />Two Jack Russell Terriers<br />Two Parrots<br />Four Fish Tanks

jmdebb

• View Profile
    • Chinchilla Supplies
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2010, 10:56:17 AM »

Your funny!!!   :2funny:

don' tell that to my boyfriend. he gets mad because when i do it to cairo [11 year old shep] so she has alot of old lady fur so to speak.. i drop it on the carpet and tim gets mad.. i can see why.. but .. i have to pull it out.

its like weeds, they don't belong there.. i have to pull them out!!  hahaha  i drive myself nuts sometimes..
Your One Stop Chin Shop

Courtney

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2010, 08:08:55 PM »

don' tell that to my boyfriend. he gets mad because when i do it to cairo [11 year old shep] so she has alot of old lady fur so to speak.. i drop it on the carpet and tim gets mad.. i can see why.. but .. i have to pull it out.

That's hilarious, I would love to see you pull it out in front of your boyfriend.  ::)
Pages: [1]   Go Up