Chinchillas.org

Chinchilla Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: need advice =( frustrated  (Read 1384 times)

tinydancer

• Appreciation points: 0
    • View Profile
need advice =( frustrated
« on: August 01, 2010, 06:44:34 PM »

Hello everyone. I just need some help with Ehlana. She seems to be so tempermental and I cannot figure out why. She has been acting this way for weeks- what she does is chew like crazy on her cage and creates a beyond awful sound. I am getting so mad because no matter what I do she won't stop. And she just bit me when I tried to calm her down. Has anyone had this same issue or have any ideas on adive?? I would really appreciate it. Thanks!

jmdebb

• Appreciation points: 28
    • View Profile
    • Chinchilla Supplies
Re: need advice =( frustrated
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2010, 09:41:36 PM »

my noel does it,  for awhile she stopped but she's doing it again. however with her, its definately a 'LET ME OUT OF THE CAGE' thing.. she does it when one of the boys is out. so thats how i know why she is doing it.

have you maybe not been able to let her out as much lately?  how long do you usually let her out during the day.. i'm just wondernig if maybe she needs more "out of cage time".  maybe you could also put some different types of toys or items in her cage.

i don't know why else they would do it, or what other suggestions to offer, sorry... but i'm sure other people will be able to .

j
Your One Stop Chin Shop
http://www.tjschinchillasupplies.com/chinchillafood.html
Huge variety, safe, affordable & brand names
:)
:)

Courtney

• Appreciation points: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2010, 10:38:33 PM »

Maybe add some more toys. Their teeth constantly grow so they need stuff to chew to keep their teeth ground down. You can get some pine wood and cut them in small peaces and give them to her, they love that. You can also get her a cuttle bone. I agree, she wants out of the cage, you should try to give her some more out of the cage time. Also it could mean she wants a treat, when Tucker wants a treat he does the same thing.
Six Chinchillas<br />Two Jack Russell Terriers<br />Two Parrots<br />Four Fish Tanks

Jo Ann

• Global Moderator
  • Appreciation points: 59
  • Chinchillas are a little bit of heaven on earth.
    • View Profile
    • Luv 'N Chins
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2010, 01:58:24 PM »

::silly::   Several questions, please ...

-1- What size is the cage? Dimensions ... wide? deep? tall?
 -2- What chew toys does she have?
 -3- How much "out of the cage time" does she have with you each day?
 -4- Is she standing in the same place each time or in different places when she chews on the cage?
 -5- What age is she?

I am getting so mad because no matter what I do she won't stop. And she just bit me when I tried to calm her down.

-6- How do you try to "calm her down"?
 -7- Do you ever raise your voice at her?
 -8- Have you ever slapped at, or hit her?  (even by accident)
 -9- How often do you clean her cage?
-10- What kind of bedding do you use?
-11- Have you changed laundry detergent/softener, room deodorizer, cleaned the carpen, changed perfumes, burnt sented candles or inscents?  
-12- Did you change the location of her cage ... even by a little bit?
-13- Have you moved things around in the room she is in?
-14- Any new people/pets around?
Any of the above things/changes can stress a chinchilla.

You seem very stressed out ... chinchillas can sense this and it will stress them. If she does something that upsets her ... leave the room and don't even go back into the room until you have calmed down a bit. Anger and fear are two of the easiest things for an animal to be able to sense in you.

-15- Did she try to run away/hide, or fuss at you, or push your hand away before nipping you? If the answer is yes to anyone of these ... she was warning you to leave her alone, or she would bite you. Chinchillas rarely bite without reason or without warning ... since they can not talk in a human language ... you will need to try to figure out what she is upset at you about and not do it again.

Sudden or loud noises can stress a chinchilla and cause them to strike out in fear ... even if the sound is not in the immediate area.

They love a routine and needs to be in a regular routine  (including out to the cage play time).

Always talk softly to them ... like you would a little baby.

::wave::  Jo Ann
« Last Edit: August 04, 2010, 02:02:58 PM by Jo Ann »
There are no dumb questions ...
    Only regrets they were not asked ...

Luv 'N Chins (Kid Friendly)
www.luvnchins.com/NewPagesAndArticles.html
My Little Jamie
www.luvnchins.com/AvailableForAdoption.html

Luv 'N Chins II (NOT kid friendly - Medical)
Being re-built! Geocities closed
Pages: [1]   Go Up