Chinchillas.org

Chinchilla Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Getting started: Chin color  (Read 2158 times)

Gil_Mic

• Appreciation points: 0
  • Our two male Chins.
    • View Profile
Getting started: Chin color
« on: February 03, 2011, 09:20:03 PM »

Hi everybody!
I guess I have a very basic question, expression of my "Newbie" status: what color is my Chin?  :)

I think he's "TAN" but I found on line some pictures of Chins that to me look like him but have different color definition.

Thank you very much for your help!

Ciao,
Mike
Gillian & Mike - Lincoln Park, NJ

Debbie.nl.ca

• Breeder
  • Appreciation points: 30
    • View Profile
    • Debbie's Newfoundland Chinchillas
Re: Getting started: Chin color
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2011, 08:46:41 AM »

Looks like a white belly, so I would say he's a home or may be hetero beige,. He looks very light.
Debbie.nl.ca

Gil_Mic

• Our two male Chins.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2011, 09:07:52 AM »

Hi Debbie, thank you for your reply!

He definitely has a white belly and his fur is probably a little bit more gray than it appears on the picture.
Is the "light" issue a bad thing?  :-\

ABC Chinchillas

• Global Moderator
  • Appreciation points: 27
    • View Profile
    • ABC Chinchillas
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2011, 10:19:43 AM »

No a light beige isn't a bad thing or a good thing it is just a comment. some are lighter some are darker in any color when showing a chinchilla MCBA they break it down to color phases to make the classes a more reasonable size and to make comparision easier, you have light, light medium, meduim, dark meduim, dark and extra dark phases for example. He does look to be a beige.
Elaine McFee and Kristy Morici
starleomach@comcast.net
ABC Chinchillas
abcchinchillas.com

Gil_Mic

• Our two male Chins.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2011, 11:33:36 AM »

Very clear, thank you very much!
 :)

jmdebb

• Appreciation points: 28
    • View Profile
    • Chinchilla Supplies
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2011, 12:23:09 PM »

he's very handsome.. but yah, the beiges and tans from what i have seen come in all different tones.. if thats the correct word to use.  all very pretty... being a beige, some day he will develop freckles on his ears, its normal, so no need to worry.
Your One Stop Chin Shop
http://www.tjschinchillasupplies.com/chinchillafood.html
Huge variety, safe, affordable & brand names

Gil_Mic

• Our two male Chins.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2011, 12:39:04 PM »

Good to know about the freckles, thank you!

I can't tell if he's handsome or not but...I can guarantee he's really friendly, active and entertaining!

What would the best color match for him to mate with?

Jhenderson27

• Appreciation points: 4
  • Giz and Luna
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2011, 01:23:54 PM »

Before you get into the mating game, you need to be very familiar with the animals.  I made that mistake jumping in too quick, thankfully for everyone on this board and a local breeder who has been a immense help we have gotten through it very well.  As cute and cuddly as they are and how adorable babies are, its a massive undertaking that is not always a positive experience.  Bad things can happen, I do not mean to scare you but you need to understand both sides.  I highly suggest doing lots, and i mean LOTS of it before a decision is made.  Thankfully i have had no complications with my mom/dad or kits but that's not always the case.  And to just give you an answer, are you looking for high quality babies or just "colors".  Always best to breed to a good hearty standard grey for good blood lines.  We are already leaps ahead of where you need to start.  Please do not think i am belittling you, I just dint want to see someone make a wrong choice without looking at both sides.  My best idea and choice if i were to do it all over again would be just Bonded same sex pairs.  I personally like the look of a Beige and Mosaic pair together....O wait, I have that and love them!  Its all up to you, good luck with your choice and happy reading!

Gil_Mic

• Our two male Chins.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2011, 09:22:00 PM »

I understand your concerns and I really appreciate your suggestions.
My girlfriend and I recently got our first two 6-months old Chins (both male, don't worry!  :) ) and we definitely love them.
We tried to create a comfortable and hospitable environment for them to live in, with plenty of room. Enough for some more Chins...
We've been reading and studying a lot about them and of course we feel that the next step could be breeding them.
Surely we don't want to make any silly mistake. We are not in a rush to start breeding but we have more than one cage and we may decide to get a couple of females (the right ones!  :) ) if we "run into them".
Among everything else I read about the "Lethal Factor" and some other health issues in the offsprings and at this stage our main concern was to understand how to avoid "pairing wrong colors". I don't realize what "breeding high quality babies" means in terms of investment and time yet. I guess my two males are just "pet quality" (1 Beige and 1 White Mosaic).
Once again, thank you for your help!  ;)
Ciao,
M.
Pages: [1]   Go Up