Chinchillas.org

Chinchilla Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Bath sand/I'm allergic to bath dust  (Read 7268 times)

kittycatcharm

• Appreciation points: 0
    • View Profile
Bath sand/I'm allergic to bath dust
« on: January 31, 2011, 10:05:20 PM »

I saw this at the petstore the other day, and wondered if anyone else has used such a thing:
http://www.amazon.com/Super-Pet-Chinchilla-Bath-Sand/dp/B0002568HM
"Super Pet Chinchilla Bath Sand"

It interested me because I seem to be allergic to the dust we use - it's irritated my skin for awhile, but it seems to have gotten worse; lately I've started having breathing problems when I clean their cage, or if they've had a bath recently (they make a mess of the stuff). We've switched brands, but I think it's just the fine-ness that's the problem.

Obviously, I have to change my own behaviours about letting them make such messes (like turning on an air filter during bath time, giving them less dust, using the more contained bath house, and making sure it all gets cleaned up before the filter goes off...), but I wondered if this stuff would be less fine (and thus not get into the air so much) and if less fine is still safe for my babies.

Also, does anyone else use an air filter around their chins? Do you know any that are especially quiet while still effective? Certain housemates of mine do not appreciate my loud one, so I can't keep it on a lot :/

ABC Chinchillas

• Global Moderator
  • Appreciation points: 27
    • View Profile
    • ABC Chinchillas
Re: Bath sand/I'm allergic to bath dust
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2011, 09:12:42 AM »

The Problem with switching to the bath sand is it is useless. It doesn't get the oils off their fur and keep them clean. You will end up with a greasy chinchilla. several people I know of put the bath into the bathrrom bathtub/shower. let them bath there closed in then when the chinchilla is out hose down the tub/shower. to keep the dust level down.  I have used air filters how well they work depends on the filter
Elaine McFee and Kristy Morici
starleomach@comcast.net
ABC Chinchillas
abcchinchillas.com

dianah

• Appreciation points: 22
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2011, 09:58:07 AM »

i use chinchilla sand. that's pretty much the only thing available in the uk. i once bought a special thing for brightening colours as chinchi was white - it was very fine and you only added a bit to their normal bath. they hated it, pretty much refused to have a bath most of the time and if they went in it was a quickie!

i have not noticed my chins being greasy and the vet always comments on how great their fur condition is - the sand over here may be different to the us one though! i once bought chin sand from germany and they didn't like it at all.

could you wear a respirator when they're having a bath or when you're cleaning them out? i know that wouldn't help with the skin irritation but at least it would help with breathing.
i use this one at work although you wouldn't really need organic vapour protection, just particulates. i know it looks silly but this one is really lightweight, i can use my microscope without any problems while wearing it and it doesn't stink inside!
http://uk.rs-online.com/web/search/searchBrowseAction.html?method=getProduct&R=0766176

also, i *think* - some else will know! - there are two different types of chinchilla dust, they're made out of different clays. not sure if the different brands you've used have covered both but perhaps it's something to look into!

chinclub

• Site Owner
  • Administrator
  • Appreciation points: 66
    • View Profile
    • Lowcountry Chinchillas
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2011, 02:24:49 PM »

I agree that the Superpet Sand is horrible. Its about the same as collecting a cup off of the beach.   I would suggest getting a cardboard box that is large enough to hold your dust bath container.  Cut a 3 inch diameter hole in the side of the box.  Put the dust in and seal up the box.  The chinchilla will squeeze through the hole to go in and dust.  As it squeezes back out the excess dust will be removed from the fur.  This should make a HUGE difference in the amount of dust you come in contact with.  Its not as easy and just placing dust in the cages but with three chinchillas it shouldn't take up too much more time.  :)

Lowcountry Chinchillas

Walterboro, South Carolina

jmdebb

• Appreciation points: 28
    • View Profile
    • Chinchilla Supplies
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2011, 03:46:16 PM »

what about sweet pdz, i have heard people use that in place of dust...

krisry --jamie..does it really work well?

jean
Your One Stop Chin Shop
http://www.tjschinchillasupplies.com/chinchillafood.html
Huge variety, safe, affordable & brand names
:)
:)

chinclub

• Site Owner
  • Administrator
  • Appreciation points: 66
    • View Profile
    • Lowcountry Chinchillas
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2011, 04:18:06 PM »

-jamie..does it really work well?

The box idea? Yes it does.  The only negative is sometimes the chinchilla doesn't want to come out of the box.   :o ;D

Lowcountry Chinchillas

Walterboro, South Carolina

ABC Chinchillas

• Global Moderator
  • Appreciation points: 27
    • View Profile
    • ABC Chinchillas
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2011, 05:30:19 PM »

I tried the sweet PDZ, it worked not for show though left a brown hue...It also irritated my lungs more so I went back to blue cloud and use a mask in the chinchillas rroom when dusting
Elaine McFee and Kristy Morici
starleomach@comcast.net
ABC Chinchillas
abcchinchillas.com

Debbie.nl.ca

• Breeder
  • Appreciation points: 30
    • View Profile
    • Debbie's Newfoundland Chinchillas
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2011, 08:10:18 AM »

I found a large plastic brewers bottle that I cut the neck off to where it was just big enough for the chins to get through.
Again they would scuff off some of the dust getting out.I just hold it up to the cages after their run and they get back in their cages to get a bath.I don't handle them or let them out again till the next night.
You'll always get dust around the cage but it sure cuts down on the stuff shook off in the room.
Debbie.nl.ca
Pages: [1]   Go Up