Chinchillas.org

Chinchilla Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Older chin harassing newer  (Read 2133 times)

eagyn

• Appreciation points: 2
    • View Profile
Older chin harassing newer
« on: November 21, 2010, 12:05:57 AM »

I just got a new chinchilla (male) and I introduced him to my only other chin (also male), My older one keeps trying to mount my new chin. I don't think anything harmful would come of this I just don't want him to be harassed to much. He doesn't try to do this that often its been about 2 days and I've seen him try a couple times. Help?

chingirls

• Appreciation points: 0
    • View Profile
Re: Older chin harassing newer
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2010, 04:21:20 AM »

i hate to be the one to tell you this,Im new to owning a chinchilla. but from watching mine,having them in same cage hun is not good. they need their own cage. i thought they can be aggresive ::tickedoff:: after a bit.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2010, 04:24:53 AM by chingirls »

ABC Chinchillas

• Global Moderator
  • Appreciation points: 27
    • View Profile
    • ABC Chinchillas
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2010, 08:37:45 AM »

You can keep two males in the same cage just fine. As long as there is no agression. Mounting is a sign of dominance your older male is dominating your younger male. If there is no chasing and fur flying they should be fine. There is always a risk thugh with more than one chinchilla that they will need to be separated. Most of my chinchillas who are not in breeding have a same sex cagemate.  You will want to double check the sex though especially if you bought from a backyard breeder or pet store
Elaine McFee and Kristy Morici
starleomach@comcast.net
ABC Chinchillas
abcchinchillas.com

eagyn

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2010, 11:32:05 AM »

Its from a local pet store, but on that is known for taking good care of their animals and knowing what their doing. They double check that he was a male. It may not be a sign of dominance more of a special thing my chin likes to do, when i play with him he some times trys to latch onto my arm or leg were there is bare skin and do that same thing while lightly biting my arm. It may be though.

jmdebb

• Appreciation points: 28
    • View Profile
    • Chinchilla Supplies
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2010, 11:11:15 AM »

one other thing i would like to add.. did you put them together right after you brought the new one home?

because there is a way to introduce them which could also help them get along better, but not all chins want cagemates, so they might never be able to stay in the same cage.

jean
Your One Stop Chin Shop
http://www.tjschinchillasupplies.com/chinchillafood.html
Huge variety, safe, affordable & brand names
:)
:)

eagyn

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2010, 05:18:42 PM »

Hes treating him alot better now, i let they meet each other in the save room for a couple hours while i rearranged the cage and got rid of most of my first chins smell.

Debbie.nl.ca

• Breeder
  • Appreciation points: 30
    • View Profile
    • Debbie's Newfoundland Chinchillas
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2010, 06:10:38 PM »

when i play with him he some times trys to latch onto my arm or leg were there is bare skin and do that same thing while lightly biting my arm
To him your just one of the herd and he's putting you in your place. :D
One of mine likes to rub himself on my sneakers. He squats right on the tip of the toe, when I'm sitting on the floor with him, and goes mad.  ;D
Debbie.nl.ca

animalluver

• Appreciation points: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2011, 11:53:25 AM »

I have a problem pretty exactly similar to this, with the exception that my chinchillas are female. I let them run together one time but the older female mounted the younger. I know this is just a dominance thing, but then the younger fur-slipped as the older one bit her. There wasn't exactly fur "flying", but still, I've never let them run together again and they are in separate cages. They're ok when I bring them nose-to-nose but anything else and the older one starts going crazy in my arms. I'm also too afraid to let them run in neutral territory after what happened last time, and I've switched their cages alot, too.
Pages: [1]   Go Up