Chinchillas.org

Chinchilla Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Is 10 weeks too old to be nursing?  (Read 1165 times)

AnnieHank

• Appreciation points: 6
    • View Profile
Is 10 weeks too old to be nursing?
« on: May 09, 2011, 04:27:42 PM »

My ten week old female chinchilla is still nursing. Isn't this a little old? Should I separate her for a bit to encourage weaning or will the mother do it herself when she's ready?

chinclub

• Site Owner
  • Administrator
  • Appreciation points: 66
    • View Profile
    • Lowcountry Chinchillas
Re: Is 10 weeks too old to be nursing?
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2011, 06:22:56 AM »

That is old.  Some mothers just don't wean their babies.  How is mom doing?  Is she feeling like she is losing any weight?  If she is still nice and plump and its not causing her any health problems you can wait a little longer.  If you take her baby out for awhile she may not take her back.  I'm assuming that the baby is eating plenty of feed at feeding time which means she is probably not nursing a whole lot of milk from mom. If mom shows any sign of weight loss, low energy, ect. you will have no choice but to remove the baby.

Lowcountry Chinchillas

Walterboro, South Carolina

dianah

• Appreciation points: 22
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2011, 07:56:58 AM »

is she definitely nursing or is she just in the 'nursing' position? i don't quite remember how old mine were but we did separate the boys from mum later than normal (10.5 weeks) because there were problems after birth so they weren't as strong. but they looked as if they were nursing when they actually weren't. if that makes sense!

AnnieHank

• Appreciation points: 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2011, 12:07:56 PM »

Mom seems to be very very slowly losing weight. We kept a chart of her weight since the last time she had kits and she lost weight very slowly for a few months afterwards until she settled at a weight similar to her pre-pregnancy weight. I presume the same thing is happening here now. (Pre pregnancy weight was about 560g, she is now about 587g today, she was 589g this day last week and 593g the week before that.) She seems to be dropping a couple of grams and then gaining but the general trend is slowly downwards a couple of grams a week. I presume this is normal after pregnancy? Her droppings seem normal and she's as active as ever. She still feels nice and round!

All three appear to be feeding well at food time. The kits are now 11 weeks. Pixie is 308g and she still appears to be nursing a little. Maybe she's just tucking her head under mum's side as a comfort thing and mightn't actually be taking milk? It really does look like nursing though, she sticks her head in under mom, roots around, Annie fusses a little at her then they settle down like that for a few minutes.

Buddy has been separated almost a full week now. He is 288g and seems to be getting on okay. I'm hoping the cuddle buddies will arrive soon for him. Both kits are gaining weight quite steadily.
I'm probably worrying for nothing as usual, I just want to be sure!

chinclub

• Site Owner
  • Administrator
  • Appreciation points: 66
    • View Profile
    • Lowcountry Chinchillas
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2011, 05:28:09 PM »

It sounds like mom is doing great so don't worry.  As long as she keeps thriving just let them be. I'm sure she will wean naturally soon...Plus, at this point mom may not even have much milk anyway so nursing wouldn't really be a strain.  (Other than perhaps some sore nipples)   ;D

Lowcountry Chinchillas

Walterboro, South Carolina
Pages: [1]   Go Up