Chinchillas.org

Chinchilla Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Eye Concern  (Read 2099 times)

Chinchillalove4

• Appreciation points: 0
    • View Profile
Eye Concern
« on: October 15, 2011, 09:47:57 PM »

I had my one chin out and noticed that he was scratching at his one eye so i took a look at it. the skin around it is pink im not sure if its from him scratching for what. he doesnt have crust around it but the fur isnt a fluffy around his eye like the other side. He also squints his one eye. Im not sure if its an allergy or if he just has a piece of dust or something in his eye. If anyone has answers as to why this might be and if it needs to be checked out by a vet.

I dont want him hurting or itchy. Ive had rabbits that got weepy eye and this isnt anything like it. It worries me and Im looking for answers. Thanks

dianah

• Appreciation points: 22
    • View Profile
Re: Eye Concern
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2011, 12:40:25 PM »

it is possible this is conjunctivitis. in chins it's not always presented by discharge (there may be discharge but they clean it off before you have a chance to see it) but the flat fur around the eye is a giveaway. i'd suggest going to the vet. they might put some colourant in his eye to see if there's any damage as that's also a possibility and they will most likely prescribe fuciderm ophthalmic. this is ointment in a little tub and you need to put a drop (it's runny but not watery) in the affected eye. they're not extremely keen on it but hey. sometimes this doesn't clear the problem but there are stronger ointments like clindagel.

Chinchillalove4

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2011, 09:50:48 PM »

I didnt see any discharge and the fur isnt matted just flat. I think taking him to the vet is the safest way to go.

dianah

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2011, 08:45:54 AM »

that is what i meant. sometimes you can't see any discharge at all but the fur around the eye will be flat. one of my boys, spock, has this recurrent conjunctivitis - we still haven't figured out why - but most of the time, his fur around the eye is flat. i have seen a tiny bit of discharge on his eye lid on occasion but it's usually a very small amount and i think he must wipe it. let us know how you get on at the vets!

Chinchillalove4

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2011, 06:41:20 PM »

will do thanks for the advice

dianah

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2011, 08:31:30 AM »

oh, sorry, this may be too late but i forgot to say, don't let him have a dust bath!

Debbie.nl.ca

• Breeder
  • Appreciation points: 30
    • View Profile
    • Debbie's Newfoundland Chinchillas
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2011, 12:56:23 PM »

Many times an eye infection will block the tear duct too. And it could be the beginning of teeth troubles . Have a vet take a look and let us know,
as there is so much that can irritate their eyes.
Debbie.nl.ca
Pages: [1]   Go Up