Chinchillas.org

Chinchilla Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Peeing on seagrass mats.  (Read 5171 times)

Squirrel_Butt

• Appreciation points: 2
  • # of Chins: 4
    • View Profile
Re: Peeing on seagrass mats.
« Reply #15 on: October 01, 2011, 11:55:06 AM »

Will chins ingest anti pill?  My concern is intestinal obstruction.
Chip Raisin Bonnie Clyde

dianah

• Appreciation points: 22
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 01, 2011, 01:03:03 PM »

there are no thin fibres to ingest, fleece is considered to be safe for chins. but obviously, if they chew bits of, they can eat it, like anything else. so you'll have to monitor for any damage. if they're not interested in eating it, it's fine.

Squirrel_Butt

• Appreciation points: 2
  • # of Chins: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 01, 2011, 07:36:56 PM »

I will try hte fleece.  I also come up with a solution to the seagrass mats. If they are peed on, I can simply cut the peed area (providing it isn't too extensive) off.   I did discover why they are movingthem around though. A few minutes ago I saw Raisin knock one to the ground, then drag it into her hideaway.  I do remove it from the hideaway and place it back on the upper and lower balconies before I go to sleep. I don't want them getting scratched eyes.
Chip Raisin Bonnie Clyde

SaladRat

• Appreciation points: 0
    • View Profile
Protecting Feet
« Reply #18 on: October 10, 2011, 09:35:11 PM »

Hello!

I was wondering how important it is to cover the surfaces that the chinchillas are on. Mine have a soft hammock, but I was wondering how much they need shavings or other in the other areas of their cage. (ie ledges and bottom). I definitely have lots of safe fabric I can use if need be (I already put some on one ledge and in their hammock to make cleaning easier). Otherwise I just have newspaper.

Thanks!

dianah

• Appreciation points: 22
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 11, 2011, 08:42:22 AM »

it depends. do they have wire mesh floor? if so, i probably would recommend you put something down as it's nicer to be on soft fleece than on wire squares. i would advise against putting wood shavings etc on as bedding for them to come in contact with, generally it's good if soiled bedding doesn't touch them (and you know they're going to pee on it!). i make pads out of fleece and it works quite well. if you have a look at hammockyhammocks.co.uk website, they do 'bimble pads' - i find a pad is better than just loose fabric as they don't tend to throw it about as much (although they still do!) and it's easier to manage (wash etc)

Debbie.nl.ca

• Breeder
  • Appreciation points: 30
    • View Profile
    • Debbie's Newfoundland Chinchillas
« Reply #20 on: October 24, 2011, 12:07:37 PM »

I have used fleece blankets for birthing but after speaking to some top breeders won`t put it in reg. cages. Seems chins are eating the fleece too, I`m not risking it. Stick with shavings on the floors. If it`s wire bottom cover it with pine, or aspinite, something they can not chew, then add shavings.If the shelves are pine they need nothing.If they are plastic replace, if they are wire replace.
Debbie.nl.ca
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up