Chinchillas.org

Chinchilla Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: teeth....missing?  (Read 3615 times)

Skittlez

• Appreciation points: 0
    • View Profile
teeth....missing?
« on: October 19, 2011, 03:35:57 PM »

my chinchilla was a rescue, i dont know how old she is but ive had her for about 3 years shes already had kits before i believe once,  and ive taken her to the vet to get her tooth trimmed but the other night i heard her chewing on her toys then last night i cheeked her tooth because every few months or so i have to take her in i have it timed well and i checked and her tooth is gone..... im scared ive called her vet and shes going in on Friday but im still worried as anyone else had this happen?

Squirrel_Butt

• Appreciation points: 2
  • # of Chins: 4
    • View Profile
Re: teeth....missing?
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2011, 07:11:17 PM »

Yes one of my chins lost her tooth years ago. She crashed into a rocking chair when she escaped.  They need to have the tooth that is under or above the missing one needs to be monitored so it doesn't overgrow.  If it is overgrowing, it needs to be filed or clipped so it doesn't go through the roof of the mouth. Frisbee lived like this for most of her life until she passed away in July from complications from pyometra.
Chip Raisin Bonnie Clyde

Skittlez

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2011, 11:02:58 PM »

thansk you sooo much for your help i looked every where on line and found nothing, its her front two teeth its the left one it had been over growing but i take her to get it cut every month but it just fell out i dont know if she chewed to much or it it on her lava rocks she lays on but i was soo worried about it thank you for your help

Skittlez

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2011, 12:16:47 AM »

shes all good the vet said that her tooth could come back but hes not sure adn its healed great and the roots still in and that most of the time it falls out too but not this time lol yaya im happy lol

dianah

• Appreciation points: 22
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2011, 09:53:05 AM »

awww that's good news! keep us updated :)

Squirrel_Butt

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2011, 06:42:44 PM »

That's good news!  :)

Just keep an eye on it. It could be possible that the new tooth may not grow in straight.  Hopefully it grows in ok. Frisbee lost her whole tooth so it never came back.
Chip Raisin Bonnie Clyde

Skittlez

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2011, 02:22:25 AM »

niblit (my chinchillas name) i guess her root to her tooth is still there so it could grow back and shes been sleeping alot lately like ill hold her and play with her but she will just sit with me and like nibble my finger when she wants to go back in her cage im kinda worried shes upset or something idk what it could be ive cleaned her cage when i do that she gets all happy and jumps around doin her ninja moves but nothing :/ i think once she gets her dust bath she will be ok i hope! i also got her more of her fave treats so that might help but i think it has to do with her tooth tho ill have to put her in her big ball and let her run over the cats around the house haha that works sometimes haha i just love her haha :) but thank you again for your help im very thankful! ;)

Squirrel_Butt

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2011, 05:15:27 PM »

Just don't feed too many treats. Too many will make her sick. I stay away from the balls as I heard that chins can overheat in them.  I would have to talked to one of the other members on here to ascertain that though.  Is she going for follow up care?
Chip Raisin Bonnie Clyde

Skittlez

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2011, 12:40:35 PM »

shes doing great shes jumpin around and having fun shes talking more lol sometimes when i play my music then when i stop she stops then i play it again and she talks more lol idk if she likes it or what but its cute lol :) i havnt had her in a ball for awhile but ill watch out when i put her in it :) and i have to check her teeth today so ill check them and let you all know how she is :)

Squirrel_Butt

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2011, 02:10:56 PM »

The sounds chins make can usually tell their mood.  If it sounds like a happy chirpy sound it may be that the chin is happy. If it is a short protest sound it's saying cut it out. If it's a male and wags its tail and laughs, that is the mating call.  If it makes a barking sound, it could be scared.
Chip Raisin Bonnie Clyde

Skittlez

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2011, 01:26:35 PM »

niblits doing great shes hoping around my room as I'm typing this shes still snitches on the cats when they walk by her cage lol and she still tease them when shes in her bath lol its great shes doing fine it looks like the tooth isn't there still but shes eating and biting her toys so that a awesome sign :) today is the first day Ive let her out of her cage and not in her ball in my room (we moved to a new place and i have been getting my room ready and its all done now) so I'm happy she is happy lol

Squirrel_Butt

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 21, 2011, 03:49:59 PM »

Just make sure there aren't any areas where she can get stuck and you unable to reach her.  Chins can find hiding places that we may never have known about.

Mine like to hide in the rafters under my bed, and even under the night table.
Chip Raisin Bonnie Clyde

Skittlez

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 18, 2011, 12:01:29 AM »

i chinchilla proofed my room lol , but now one of her eyes is kinda puffy and there is white discharge in taking her to the vet but i have stuff for my cat because he use to have a problem with his eyes but idk if i can give it to her then and if i could/can put neosporin on it Xp please help if you have any ideas or thing idk if she poked in on timmy hay or its her new food i dont know :(

Squirrel_Butt

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 20, 2011, 05:17:14 PM »

I would consult the vet befroe doing anything.  Frisbee used to have that discharge too after that incident with her tooth. But You might have a different situation. Frisbee's eyes never puffed up, just had that milky white discharge whenever she groomed herself. Neosporin may hurt the eyes so definitely consult the vet. Whenever mine have eye problems, I have them stay with the vet because I am unable to restrain them and get meds into their eyes at the same time.  It sounds like she has conjunctivitis.
Chip Raisin Bonnie Clyde

Jo Ann

• Global Moderator
  • Appreciation points: 59
  • Chinchillas are a little bit of heaven on earth.
    • View Profile
    • Luv 'N Chins
« Reply #14 on: December 21, 2011, 08:37:56 AM »

... I stay away from the balls as I heard that chins can overheat in them.  I would have to talked to one of the other members on here to ascertain that though. ...
When you consider the balls, be very careful and take lots of precautions.
Close all doors and windows and block off all staircases.
Chinchillas can learn to guide and increase the speed of the balls.  Balls have been known to 'pop' open and release your chin when they hit an immovable object.  This is the very reason I quit using one.  One of my little ones discovered how he could escape when running it into the dining room table leg.
Balls can get stuck under chairs and other furniture (even if they can not go all the way under it).
Balls comming to a stop or getting stuck near an air vent can cause a ball, especially in winter, to become super heated quickly.
Never, never, never every take your chin outside in a ball ... they can get over heated by the sun ... and ... if it were to pop open, your chin would probably become a nice, but fuzzy, snack for a neighborhood animal.
Keep in mind that time in the ball is time you must keep a close and  constant eye on your chin.
Nothing smaller than the JUMBO size is acceptable.  Anything smaller, will effect the growth/curve of the spine, same goes with the wheels used for exercise.
When playing in the ball, your chin is confined and the ball will hold in heat.  Overheating is definately a concern. 
The room must be cool and play time in the ball short.
It has very little ventilation to bring in fresh air and allows body heat and fumes to accumulate inside of it.
If playing in it, and nature calls, it will throw urine back on them while they are in the ball playing. 
Their poo/feces can get stuck to their feet and fur while playing inside the ball.
The ball should be washed and dried between each use.
Never consider a ball to be a chin-setter for you ... watch them at all times while they are inside the ball!  ::nod::

::wave::  Jo Ann
There are no dumb questions ...
    Only regrets they were not asked ...

Luv 'N Chins (Kid Friendly)
www.luvnchins.com/NewPagesAndArticles.html
My Little Jamie
www.luvnchins.com/AvailableForAdoption.html

Luv 'N Chins II (NOT kid friendly - Medical)
Being re-built! Geocities closed
Pages: [1]   Go Up