Chinchillas.org

Chinchilla Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: First time chin owner introducing a new baby  (Read 884 times)

YoshisMom

• Appreciation points: 0
  • # of Chins: 2
    • View Profile
First time chin owner introducing a new baby
« on: May 22, 2013, 06:13:36 PM »

Hello all!

This is my first time posting here

I had gotten my first chin, Yoshi about a month ago. He is 7 months old and I was told he has lived alone his whole life. After I felt comfortable with him, I decided that he would probably like a friend. I got my second chinchilla just over a week ago. He is 4 months old.

I first introduced them (both males) on completely neutral grounds. At first they completely ignored eachother. Then all of a sudden Yoshi chased after and bit the new baby taking some fur with him. I haven't put them back together since. After reading up on it a little I decided to place their cages next to eachother. Yoshi is trying to naw and bite the baby through the bars. The baby is completely ignoring him. Don't worry, they can't reach eachother

Any advice on what we should try? We would really like this to work out as we are very attached to both. I don't mind having them live in different cages, I just think they would really like eachother if they would knock this off :p

chinclub

• Site Owner
  • Administrator
  • Appreciation points: 66
    • View Profile
    • Lowcountry Chinchillas
Re: First time chin owner introducing a new baby
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2013, 06:46:24 AM »

It just takes time.  The older a chinchilla is before you introduce a cage mate, the longer it can take.  Just don't rush it because your older one can kill your your younger one.  Also, don't try to put them anywhere together until they are friendly through the bars. 
Good luck.  :)

Lowcountry Chinchillas

Walterboro, South Carolina
Pages: [1]   Go Up