Chinchillas.org

Chinchilla Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: worried about my chin!  (Read 2647 times)

Mannybilly1030

• Appreciation points: 2
    • View Profile
worried about my chin!
« on: April 03, 2014, 10:41:49 PM »

ok so first off I have 2 boys about a little over 6 months and they both are bonded of course. thing is today I barely got them both and one is very energetic and the other is usually calm. he does run up and down sometimes and eats hay and what not but then he relaxes on the second level and he looks tired in a way. is he sick or is he getting use to the envoirment. the breeder told me one is very jumpy and the other is calm. both there stools look healthy, they both don't have watery or white goop from there eyes. no signs over heat stroke because temperature is at 68 degrees and humidity. he like cleans himself like it looks like he's wiping his face and stuff. but then he relaxes and eats hay and what not and poops and so forth. no signs of stress either.

Mannybilly1030

• View Profile
Re: worried about my chin!
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2014, 10:56:00 PM »

oh and I forgot his poop Is not that hard there a bit squishy. like I said he does eat, he does chew on things, he does allow me to pet and hold him. both do I am surprised they aren't scared. he does popcorn a bit. so is he ok like the calm type that are mellow and still healthy or is he showing some sign of illness, is he adapting? if its illness related I do have a vet that charges $51 a visit. right now he's jumpy, chewing on his wreath, I put there dust bath and they both wanna jump but then they look like they have second thoughts like oh no not yet.

Jasonred79

• Appreciation points: 24
  • # of Chins: 1
  • human belonging to Popsicle
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2014, 03:03:57 AM »

The 68 degree thing isn't an absolute... for instance, if your chins' previous owner kept them at 40 degrees for the last few months, 68 is gonna take some getting used to. Same for any living organism. (that's an extreme example though)
There's ALWAYS going to be some adjustments when moving to an unfamiliar place... even for humans.

Poop looks healthy= good. And they're eating ok, right? Though with 2 chins in same cage it's slightly harder to monitor food intake.

If you're curious about temperature, ask to just borrow your grandma's portable AC for 1-2 days, and see if that makes any difference. You're probably right, and it's probably not temperature related, but it's not much effort to check and make sure, so why not? ... Also, temperature during playtime is more of a factor than temperature when just sitting around relaxing.

Anyhow, sounds good so far, overall, IMHO. I think temperature, food & water, poop, stress, are the main chin issues, and you seem to be keeping an eye out on everything, so I'll just cheer you on with morale support!

GrayRodent

• Chinchilla Club and CBO Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Appreciation points: 153
  • # of Chins: 2
    • View Profile
    • Chris Hamilton
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2014, 06:11:57 AM »

Stop feeding them popcorn. It is not a safe thing to feed chinchillas. That might solve your poop problem.

The first couple of weeks you have your chinchillas you can expect them to be stressed because of the relocation. If it continues like that for more than two weeks or gets worse and poop starts sticking everywhere (and on your pet) go to the vet. It may be a parasitic infection that needs treatment which is not too uncommon and very easy to treat. Unless that happens don't worry too much about it. It's not uncommon for relocating chinchillas to have slightly loose stools for a few days. If it turns to liquid consider that an emergency though.

Btw congrats on your new pets. I'm very grateful for you.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2014, 06:14:59 AM by GrayRodent »
I'm a programmer not a chinchilla breeder. I learn by asking questions just like you.

Mannybilly1030

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2014, 08:41:19 AM »

Stop feeding them popcorn. It is not a safe thing to feed chinchillas. That might solve your poop problem.

The first couple of weeks you have your chinchillas you can expect them to be stressed because of the relocation. If it continues like that for more than two weeks or gets worse and poop starts sticking everywhere (and on your pet) go to the vet. It may be a parasitic infection that needs treatment which is not too uncommon and very easy to treat. Unless that happens don't worry too much about it. It's not uncommon for relocating chinchillas to have slightly loose stools for a few days. If it turns to liquid consider that an emergency though.

Btw congrats on your new pets. I'm very grateful for you.

I dont feed them popcorn they popcorn. Like they jump excitedly and they love it.

Mannybilly1030

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2014, 08:52:02 AM »

The 68 degree thing isn't an absolute... for instance, if your chins' previous owner kept them at 40 degrees for the last few months, 68 is gonna take some getting used to. Same for any living organism. (that's an extreme example though)
There's ALWAYS going to be some adjustments when moving to an unfamiliar place... even for humans.

Poop looks healthy= good. And they're eating ok, right? Though with 2 chins in same cage it's slightly harder to monitor food intake.

If you're curious about temperature, ask to just borrow your grandma's portable AC for 1-2 days, and see if that makes any difference. You're probably right, and it's probably not temperature related, but it's not much effort to check and make sure, so why not? ... Also, temperature during playtime is more of a factor than temperature when just sitting around relaxing.

Anyhow, sounds good so far, overall, IMHO. I think temperature, food & water, poop, stress, are the main chin issues, and you seem to be keeping an eye out on everything, so I'll just cheer you on with morale support!

Thank yo so much and i have it setup in my room all i need to do is find the remote control. Dont get me wrong i am worried about my chins like if there kids lol. But yes last night he was active i feel hes adjusting. What does come back to my mind is that he said both brothers are tramendous brats but one is more energetic and jumpy and the other one is really mellow. I read about that and some are more mellow then others.

I am still shocked about the fact that im allowed tp pet them 0.0

GrayRodent

• Chinchilla Club and CBO Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Appreciation points: 153
  • # of Chins: 2
    • View Profile
    • Chris Hamilton
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2014, 11:01:17 AM »

Okay I must not have been awake when I read that. Sorry! Yes, I know about popcorning. Mine does that when I put in the tub for a dust bath.

Still wait about five days and if there is no change or it gets worse with the poop I recommend a vet visit. The same thing happened to me. It didn't improve much after a couple weeks then it suddenly went away. Turns out it was coccidiosis and it came back the next year much worse. (the reason being he had a batch of bad hay and stopped eating hay for a couple of weeks which threw him off, at least from what I understand). It was pretty disgusting to deal with. Just a recommendation.

I'm glad you have some tame chinchillas. It sounds like you have some good pets there. Be aware though that they can become less docile after they get over the shock of being relocated. Just be especially gentle with them for the first two or three weeks you have them.
I'm a programmer not a chinchilla breeder. I learn by asking questions just like you.

Mannybilly1030

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2014, 03:22:15 PM »

Okay I must not have been awake when I read that. Sorry! Yes, I know about popcorning. Mine does that when I put in the tub for a dust bath.

Still wait about five days and if there is no change or it gets worse with the poop I recommend a vet visit. The same thing happened to me. It didn't improve much after a couple weeks then it suddenly went away. Turns out it was coccidiosis and it came back the next year much worse. (the reason being he had a batch of bad hay and stopped eating hay for a couple of weeks which threw him off, at least from what I understand). It was pretty disgusting to deal with. Just a recommendation.

I'm glad you have some tame chinchillas. It sounds like you have some good pets there. Be aware though that they can become less docile after they get over the shock of being relocated. Just be especially gentle with them for the first two or three weeks you have them.

Yea i understand and yea i put them both in there cage and they were really excited not cloae to being scared. They were really jumpy. But one was really energetic and the other was like ehh a little lazy. The Breeder told me and my dad one is energetic then the other. That one of them was mellow. He does look healthy but he usually picks a specific spot to sleep then he moves around the second level eating his hay then he goes down the first level eats his pellets then he takes a chew toy and goes on the 3rd floor the. He goes to the forth floor and sits a bit then he goes back to his favorite spot and naps its a routine. His poop isnt watery or bloody, his eyes arent irritated, no broken limbs, no signs of malluclusion, no signs of heatstroke or siezures of course, no signs of stress of fur biting or anything. So i really dont think hes ill. I feel hes a bit sad because hes in a new home and is adjusting. Dont get wrong he is active but ten he mellows down. Hes really attached to his brother to. His brother likes teasing him and they chase each other around the cage and what not

Jasonred79

• Appreciation points: 24
  • # of Chins: 1
  • human belonging to Popsicle
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2014, 09:04:33 AM »

So what happened to the chins? I was a little worried you were biting off more than you could chew as a new chin owner, so everything alright or... ?
Pages: [1]   Go Up