Chinchillas.org

Chinchilla Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Chinchilla dreams?  (Read 3809 times)

Romeosgirl

• Appreciation points: 0
    • View Profile
Chinchilla dreams?
« on: March 21, 2007, 12:10:47 PM »

I was wondering if you guys had heard of this-maybe it's common and I just don't know about it...

My chin Romeo is a tough little guy, and I've only  heard his warning call (the very loud barking) once or twice in the year and a half I've owned him-except for at night.

My guy usually wakes up at about 5pm to be up with me and is asleep by 4am or so, and once or twice a month I'll hear his alarm calls at 4 or 5 in the  morning. When I come out to see what the problem is, he's fast asleep!  ::shrug::
At that point I'm usually wishing I was too, but he's loud!

I'm wondering, is he dreaming? Has anyone else noticed this?

Debbie.nl.ca

• Breeder
  • Appreciation points: 30
    • View Profile
    • Debbie's Newfoundland Chinchillas
Re: Chinchilla dreams?
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2007, 01:33:45 PM »

Yes one of them at least will call out during the day and or night.
Some say it's just there way of checking out who is around. Though Like you've said they can and will do it in there sleep.
Even asleep they don't miss a sound and sometimes even the quiet may make them do it.
Maybe they are dreaming, hard to say, thing is I never hear anyone bark back to them.
It's always a lone voice, most of them will do at one time or another, and some just don't even wake to do it.
When I'm handy I just say back to them "yes I'm hear, now go to sleep." ;D
Debbie.nl.ca

jmrothermel

• Appreciation points: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2007, 02:08:44 PM »

I noticed that a few times in their sleep they will call out, not usually a barking call, but just their general contact call.  Like Debbie said I never hear anyone answer them.  I just figure it's them dreaming about something :)

Jacqui
~Jacqui~
Member of the MCBA
My name is
Lily

Adopt your own

Jo Ann

• Global Moderator
  • Appreciation points: 59
  • Chinchillas are a little bit of heaven on earth.
    • View Profile
    • Luv 'N Chins
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2007, 08:53:37 AM »

::silly::Personally, I think they can, and do, dream.  I've heard many sounds come from a sleeping chin ... mostly gentle chirping, but on occasions, the alarming bark.

I have a mom that often makes sounds in her sleep, but only when she is pregnant and/or nursing kits.  It wakes the father and he will immediately cover her, as if to try to calm/protect her.  She never wakes ... just him.  I use to tell him to be quiet, or he would wake the babies.  He would look at me like I was nuts, tilting his head to one side ... then one day, I saw her call out in her sleep and he quickly covered her.  That's what I call a good man-chin!  After that time, I always gave him a little papaya as a "thank-you".

::howdythere::
Jo Ann
There are no dumb questions ...
    Only regrets they were not asked ...

Luv 'N Chins (Kid Friendly)
www.luvnchins.com/NewPagesAndArticles.html
My Little Jamie
www.luvnchins.com/AvailableForAdoption.html

Luv 'N Chins II (NOT kid friendly - Medical)
Being re-built! Geocities closed

Jenova

• Appreciation points: 6
  • Cheech ^_^
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2007, 08:32:46 PM »

That's adorable Jo Anne.  ::nod::
Cheech is always calling out in his sleep! Almost every night he'll start barking and then the bark will trail off and get quieter until he stops. Sometimes if he carries on I'll wake him up and give him a quick pet and he seems a little 'off' when I do. Usually a bit of fruit gets him back to his usual self. The only time he barks during the day is when he gets too hot (with the PC and Xbox in the room it can do) but as soon as we open the window he's happy. I'm so glad he can let us know he's uncomfortable.  ::silly::
I don't know whether he is dreaming at night, my partner likes to think so. Because he doesn't usually bark during the day I don't think it's a warning sound and maybe other chins can differentiate between a sleeping chins dream calls and a real danger bark? A father to be probably can't take any chances though.  :::grins::
It's very much like a dog barking in it's sleep... I hope he isn't having nightmares, that's why I like to wake him up and give him a scratch or a hug.  ::silly::

Marie14625

• Appreciation points: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2007, 01:12:00 PM »

;)  Interesting..I just posted a similar message to this before I saw this one.  Trixie often barks in her sleep during the day.  Once in a while she will bark at night.  We always will check on her when she barks..just to make sure she is OK>
Pages: [1]   Go Up