Chinchillas.org

Chinchilla Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Compulsive Urinator  (Read 2611 times)

ChillinChinchillas

• Appreciation points: 3
  • Evie's Easter Pic!
    • View Profile
    • Chillin' Chinchillas
Compulsive Urinator
« on: January 26, 2008, 01:08:39 PM »

I have been working with chins for quite a while now. I took in a chin about three weeks ago that seems to be a big fan of spraying urine. I understood that she was a pet for three years, then uprooted and sent here. The first time she got me, she hit me directly in the eyes. I have continued to be patient: talking softly to her while I am near her cage, moving very slowly, giving occasional treats, etc. Has anyone else had to deal with a chin like this?

For example, I was feeding her last night. I put her fresh hay in her cage so she could munch on that while I filled her bowl with pellets. She was just sitting there watching me, then all of a sudden, she nailed me.

I have been trying to reward her for being good, and when she urinates on me I don't let her out to play that day. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. She is a beautiful, blocky dark standard. I think she will make beautiful kits and be the perfect chin to breed with some of my mutations.

Maybe she just knows how gorgeous she is, and is a bit of a snob! ;)
~Kristin Carlin~
**Chillin' Chinchillas**
(Petie, Roxxy, Addietouille, Widgette, JellyBean, & Smokey, Jovey, Chae, Emma, Rocky, Chance, Daisey, Porter, Tucker, and Ollie)
http://www.chillinchinchillas.com

Abby W.

• Appreciation points: 6
    • View Profile
    • Virginia Chinchillas
Re: Compulsive Urinator
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2008, 02:13:21 PM »

I totally understand!  My little girl Emma loves to pee on me, and she has amazing aim!  Unfortunately, the only way I have found to get around this is to put her dustbath in her cage and then once she gets in it I lift it out.  If I try to catch her she pees on me.  Using the dustbath to transport her seems to be the only way she doesn't get upset enough to pee.  The funny thing is once I have her out she is fine.  I can hold her, scratch her ears and chin, carry her around on my shoulder and she's perfectly alright.  When I am doing stuff in her cage I either take her out and put her in the playpen, or if it's just something simple like feeding, I just make sure I move very slowly so she doesn't get startled or feel threatened.  This seems to work fine.

KCchins

• Kansas City Chinchillas
  • Appreciation points: 1
    • View Profile
    • Kansas City Chinchillas
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2008, 02:29:32 PM »

Some chins just like to spray!  I have found a few ways to discourage spraying.  The first is to tap lightly on their nose while they are spraying.  Another is to put your hand in front of them so the spray doesn't reach where the chin is aiming.  Girls just don't like their spray blocked.  I also have lots of conversations about spraying with my chin and say NO! when she sprays.  I think the most effective way though is to put my hand in front of them when they spray or when you are expecting them to spray... and most of all don't get upset or back off when they spray.  Hope this helps.
---Cathy

I have chins available.
e-mail me KCchins@msn.com if interested.

ChillinChinchillas

• Evie's Easter Pic!
    • View Profile
    • Chillin' Chinchillas
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2008, 04:25:22 PM »

Yes, I have been using the dustbath to get her back into her cage after playtime. The spraying generally occurs while she is in the cage. I have no way to tell when she is going to do it, because generally she is running around like it is treat time. I am going to try holding my hand in front of her the whole time I am there today (more for protection, haha). Thanks for the advice.

Now, one more question (and this may seem silly). Is this an undesirable trait that would be passed onto kits? If the nervousness that leads to fur chewing is more likely to occur if the parent is a fur chewer, wouldn't it be just as likely that this would be in that catagory?

I have never read or heard of this, but I want to be sure.
~Kristin Carlin~
**Chillin' Chinchillas**
(Petie, Roxxy, Addietouille, Widgette, JellyBean, & Smokey, Jovey, Chae, Emma, Rocky, Chance, Daisey, Porter, Tucker, and Ollie)

Debbie.nl.ca

• Breeder
  • Appreciation points: 30
    • View Profile
    • Debbie's Newfoundland Chinchillas
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2008, 07:06:56 PM »

I got 1 just one that hates me  :D
She sprays at me all the time, except when she gets close to delivering.
It's amazing, I've tried everything, have had her for years, she has no fear of me what so ever, just don't want me to handle her.
I can let her out on the table in the break room and she'll run around, climb up on me, but let me put my hands to pick her up and I get it right in the face. ::tickedoff::
As long as she can get in and out her cage on her own it's fine, but I've moved her up a level so she has to come to me. I take her out for extra one on one time, I give her extra baths, treats, time out, I just can't pick her up.
She will not even come to the door too me.

It's amazing is all it is, and I just have to face those facts, use the tube,and keep her as pregnant as possible :D
Debbie.nl.ca

ChillinChinchillas

• Evie's Easter Pic!
    • View Profile
    • Chillin' Chinchillas
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2008, 08:49:57 PM »

So far, the advice about putting my hand in front of her seems to work. The first time I did it, she sprayed me, but I think some of it splashed back on her. I have been putting my hand up whenever I am in front of her cage, and she has been sniffing it. Hopefully, she will chill out soon
~Kristin Carlin~
**Chillin' Chinchillas**
Pages: [1]   Go Up