Chinchillas.org

Chinchilla Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Chinchilla at the pet store  (Read 11503 times)

Hoppinchins

• Appreciation points: 0
    • View Profile
Chinchilla at the pet store
« on: January 08, 2009, 02:21:11 PM »

I went to the pet store yesterday, Jacks Aquarium. I just my second chin at jacks, but a different location then the one I was at yesterday. They had one standard chin. They were keeping him in a bird cage. Left the dust bath inside the cage. It had a lot of poop in side of it. I could tell that the food wasn't good quality. They weren't even sure how old the chin was. They said under 6 months but that they have had it for a few months.. I felt soo bad for him. I wasn't sure if it was a boy or a girl i forgot to ask. I was going to say something but I wasn't sure if I should have.

I was thinking about buying the chin bc i felt bad for him. I'm not sure if its healthy and i can't really afford another one right now. If I do buy the chin and its a male, do I need a different cage or can the three of them live in one cage?

Abby W.

• Appreciation points: 6
    • View Profile
    • Virginia Chinchillas
Re: Chinchilla at the pet store
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2009, 04:34:22 PM »

It depends on a lot of factors, including the personalities of the chins involved, and the size of the cage.  Honestly, as cold as it sounds, it would be better to leave that little guy there.  You don't know if he's healthy, so you would need to keep him quarantined, separate from your other guys for at least 30 days.  Otherwise, you risk getting your current chinchillas sick.  You also have no way of knowing whether the new chinchilla will get along with your others, which would mean having to keep them separated permanently if they don't.  And, I know it sounds callous, but if you buy the new one, the pet store will only bring in more chinchillas to sell (and mistreat in the process).  The real solution to this problem is for people to stop buying chinchillas from pet stores.  As long as people will buy them, then pet stores will keep selling them.  Unfortunately, pet stores and their employees are usually not well- educated or well-equipped for caring for a chinchilla's needs adequately.   >:( 

ABC Chinchillas

• Global Moderator
  • Appreciation points: 27
    • View Profile
    • ABC Chinchillas
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2009, 11:04:48 AM »

If you were to buy the chinchilla they would just get another one in to replace it....thus continuing the cycle.
Elaine McFee and Kristy Morici
starleomach@comcast.net
ABC Chinchillas
abcchinchillas.com

Hoppinchins

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2009, 04:45:35 PM »

Yeah, you two are both right. Its prob best for me to leave the chin there. I don't want to get him and have him get my other chins sick or anything. I still feel bad for him. Pet smart cares for there chins a lot better then jacks aquarium. Do you know if i'd be able to file a complaint with jacks aquarium? Maybe if enough people said something, pet stores would stop selling them. I just want whats best for them. I also went to the jacks that I got my chin from and the other 2 chins are still there. They have been there for atleast a month and a half. It didn't look like they had chew toys in the bird cage they were keeping them. They had eaten a whole in the side of there plastic house. I'm sure thats very bad for them.

Also, I sow that they had peanuts in their cage. The kind that's still in their shell. I didn't know chins could have nuts in general. Can they have peanuts? Would that be a treat?

I think that all pet stores should be educated in the animals the sell. Then this wouldn't happen.

Brucey1234

• Appreciation points: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2009, 05:11:51 PM »

I agree totally. Isn't that what  shelter program here is for, or is it a different program? Anyway, we are giving information to shelters. That is to stop this kind of thing from happening. I do believe that that is wrong.  :flames: As for the peanuts- I read that unsalted nuts where okay, but I'm kinda new too, so maybe someone else should answer that.  ;)

Hoppinchins

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2009, 05:03:54 PM »

Ha, i agree with the mad smiley,  :flames: . They even have information because they gave me some. I know pets mart does. Not sure about Jacks. I think I'm going to look up there corporate number and see if I can do something. I know there are shelters by where I live. I'm not sure if they take chins though. I wish they could get a fine and a chance to take care of them right and if not then they get another fine and the chins get taken away. I watch the animal channel alot, and the ASPAC can do that, I think that what they are called.

Jo Ann

• Global Moderator
  • Appreciation points: 59
  • Chinchillas are a little bit of heaven on earth.
    • View Profile
    • Luv 'N Chins
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2009, 11:36:45 AM »

::silly::  First: Chinchillas should never be given nuts of any kind, salted or unsalted!  A chinchilla's digestive system is not made to properly digest/absorb nuts.  The natural oil in nuts can cause a chinchilla to develop a fatty liver over time.  A fatty liver can cause other complications and even death for a chinchilla.  (Now, in making that statement, please remember there are always rare exceptions to most rules.  When a chinchilla is 'stopped-up' and can not poop ... the last resort is one or two almonds.  They are a natural strong laxative for a chinchilla to be used as a 'last resort only' when nothing else has worked.)  When a chinchilla stops pooping and/or cuts way back on the number and size of the poops, this is a sign his system probably is shutting down and he may very well be close to death.  Smaller and dryer than normal poops are also a sign of dehydration ... dehydration can kill.

I watched a family of 4 chinchillas slowly die over a period of time because the lack of proper care and maintenance in a pet store ... that was why I became a chinchilla breeder, doing constant research on them.  I learn new things constantly and there is still so much to learn.

I firmly believe no pet store should ever be allowed to sell chinchillas unless the owner and all employees are taught how to properly care for it AND they are willing to train the person purchasing the chinchilla how to properly care for it.  Let's be realistic ... that will never happen.   :noway:

Believe it or not, most pet stores think they 'know it all' and under no circumstances are willing to admit they do not.  I am well known for letting the local pet stores know how to properly care for a chinchilla ... BUT ... each time I go into one for the first time, I have to be armed with magazines and books that show I do know what I am talking about ... even then, some do not want to listen ... they are to arrogant to admit they are ignorant when it comes to chinchillas.   :flames:    And the chinchilla is the one to suffer because of it.   :'(

Now ... off my soap box ...   rofl

Hoppinchins ... if you are a member of the Chinchilla Club ... you might want to do some research in the back issues of the Chinchilla Club Magazine and print copies of needed articles to show the pet stores ... OR  ... even better purchase the hard copies and take the magazine to the pet store with you.  They have a tendency to pay more attention to things in print than to an individual.

And, yes, you can complain ... but for the best results, complain to the local animal control officer, the state animal inspector and anyone that is willing to listen to you (including, but not limited to the news paper and local t.v. stations).  BUT ... when you complain, be ready to quote and give proof ... via research centers (such as California Chins) and/or printed magazines and/or articles.   If you need know where to find some of the references PM me.

Good luck!  Keep us posted on the outcome!

Go girl go!

::wave::  Jo Ann
There are no dumb questions ...
    Only regrets they were not asked ...

Luv 'N Chins (Kid Friendly)
www.luvnchins.com/NewPagesAndArticles.html
My Little Jamie
www.luvnchins.com/AvailableForAdoption.html

Luv 'N Chins II (NOT kid friendly - Medical)
Being re-built! Geocities closed

Hoppinchins

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2009, 07:17:38 PM »

:) Thanks Jo Ann. You are alot of help on here. I am a chinchilla club member. I will look up articles I can print off to give the pet stores. That must of been so horiable to watch a family of chins die like that  :'( . I really help I will be able to change that, even if its just in one pet store. Atleast its a start. This can be my little project and will also keep my mind off of my ex, hopefully.

Thanks

Jo Ann

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Luv 'N Chins
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2009, 08:08:19 AM »

::silly::   Thanks for the compliment   :blush2:

There are many experienced and newbie breeders/owners on here ... every question ask and answered helps us all to learn.  The more shared, the more learned. 

With chinchillas being exposed to other animals, we are learning what can be passed on from one to another and make the chin sick or the other animal sick.  Some of the possibilities are down right scary. 

There is also a section in the Chinchilla Club where Jamie has 'fliers' that you can print out to give to pet stores.  These usually work very well to inform the pet stores and the general public.  I can't think of exactly where it is right now, but, anyone that can post the URL to it, please do.

::wave::  Jo Ann

My Little Jamie

Hoppinchins

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2009, 05:05:52 PM »

I honestly did not know much about chinchillas when I got mine. The pet stores really do need to be educated more. I have learned alot already from here. I know I will learn much more. I love the internet. You can find anything.  :)

I feel even worse for the chin at the pet store. I can't belive they are giving him nuts.  :flames:  :flames:

Jo Ann

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Luv 'N Chins
« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2009, 09:08:13 AM »

::silly::  The best way to get them to quit feeding their chinchillas nuts, is to notify the animal controll officer and the state vet and ask them to speak to the pet store owner about the fact that they are feeding the chinchilla something that will probably end up killing it.  Even if the chinchilla does not die in the store, it will probably have possible health problems after it leaves with it's new owner, but caused/started while still in the pet store.  A fatty liver can take a while to kill a chin.

Don't feel bad, most people know very little when they get their first chinchilla.  Most pet stores lead the public to believe "they are just another member of the rodent family and easily cared for" ... and that is right, IF you know what you are doing.  They fail to add that last little tidbit of information, mostly because they do not know themselves.

Take the printed articles to the pet store, if they do not remove the nuts and quit feeding them to it, report them. 

If each of us would take on just one pet store and teach them the proper care of chinchillas, think of the number of chinchillas that could be saved.

::howdythere::  Jo Ann

My Little Jamie

Hoppinchins

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2009, 02:46:18 PM »

I'm sure alot of chinchillas would be saved if everyone on here went to just one petstore. I'm going to try to go to all the jacks Aquarium in my area. I hope they will listen to the information I give them.

Hoppinchins

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 21, 2009, 03:14:32 PM »

Jo Ann, what do you mean by 'the back issues of the Chinchilla Club Magazine'.

Is this a good one to print out/ http://www.chinchillaclub.com/members/mag/0404feed.html 

or this http://www.chinclub.net/qna/mojofaq.cgi?cat=housing

Or on the main page in chinclub, under health care and cages?

Thanks for your help.

Jo Ann

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Luv 'N Chins
« Reply #13 on: January 21, 2009, 05:13:26 PM »

::silly::  The URL you listed for the first article is one that is in the 'back issues' of the Chinchilla Club Magazine.  It is a good one, but is written by a lady from Belgium, so I don't know how much water that would hold with the pet stores in the United States.  You can do a 'search' for feeding and come up with several good articles.

The second URL takes you to a section on the Chinchilla Club site itself and was written by Jamie, the owner.  I think that one would be a good one to print out. 

I do think there is a place on the Chinchilla Club website that Jamie has articles/fliers that are specifically written for printing out and giving to pet stores. 

Jo Ann   ::wave::

My Little Jamie

Hoppinchins

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 21, 2009, 06:14:28 PM »

Ok, thanks. I'll do a search for feeding and see if I can find the fliers first.  ::silly::
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up