Chinchillas.org

Chinchilla Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Wow...had the chin since Saturday and have already altered his cage...  (Read 3836 times)

cadillactaste

• Appreciation points: 5
  • Fluffy (Standard) and Nibbles (Violet)
    • View Profile

You'll notice the edible log in this picture...I learned that honey is a no no...and removed it. He also didn't seem to use the hammock either...so I pulled the shelf from the lower part of the Ferret Nation cage to the top to give him more space to move around...and called to see what two more shelves would cost if I wanted to do the same below once I open it up for them to play in. I'm a bit paranoid at the moment that to much space he will hurt himself. So I placed the lower tray to the top so he can't get below to the lower level. And am ordering the deeper metal trays that Bass offers so I won't have to worry about a plastic tray. Even though I've not seen where he's chewed it at  all...it worries me. And that dust bath house...he's not messed with either...I keep checking. He loves just sitting in the empty house when it's not bath time. Or on the top of it...

To now this for the time being...You'll notice a different background behind the cage as well...I learned my mistake of having it directy beside my son's bed was NOT using my head... :blush2:

I read on here that the thick PVC I forget what gauge my husband called it...was safe. Since Nibbles loved hiding in the edible log...

Thinking of making fleece covers for the shelves...I heard ones doing that...not sure exactly how I'll go about it. I want to try and litter train the chins before I go that route.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2009, 07:55:29 AM by cadillactaste »
~Darlene

Deeliteful

• Appreciation points: 3
  • # of Chins: 1
    • View Profile

Are you leaving the dust bath in with the little guy? Thats not good either . Depending on the humidity level he may only need a dust bath one or 2 times a week . More if its really humid .

cadillactaste

• View Profile

Are you leaving the dust bath in with the little guy? Thats not good either . Depending on the humidity level he may only need a dust bath one or 2 times a week . More if its really humid .

No dust in that house...I did leave it in there the entire night when we first got him. But learned later that he didn't need it full time. So I emptied it and washed it and stuck it back in since he loved sitting in there. But thanks for bringing that to my attention. ;)

We bought a Chin Chiller today...and a different feeding bowl one that attaches to the side of the cage. And a treat wire ball to put his hay in. And picked up a smaller cage for a hamster to have him in when he goes visiting my son's school for show-n-tell. [Where I'll take him in and they will do it first thing and he'll come back home with me...No child will be allowed to stick fingers in the cage or touch him while we are there] 

Oh and we bought a thingy that holds chew sticks and what have you too...
~Darlene

Deeliteful

• View Profile

OK lol good deal . Seems like you have things under control then.

cadillactaste

• View Profile

Dee...For now...anyways...but I'm always up to learning something new...or being corrected if need be. I only wish to care for him the best way possible.
~Darlene

Deeliteful

• View Profile

I totally understand I am always learning things about them too. Right now I am watching my two chins in the same cage together and getting along for the first time . *squeeeee* This whole thing with getting them together has been a huge learning experience.

cadillactaste

• View Profile

I totally understand I am always learning things about them too. Right now I am watching my two chins in the same cage together and getting along for the first time . *squeeeee* This whole thing with getting them together has been a huge learning experience.

That's great news! Is your one a mature chin then? Is this why you were having trouble? I know I asked our breeder and he said that our babies are a month apart in age...and there should be no trouble putting them together. As long as they are both males. But I do worry...but am glad that with the cage we have...we can easily keep it as a two cage system...or make it one large one. Which if they do ever take a disliking I've got it covered.

~Darlene

Deeliteful

• View Profile

Yes they are both adults . One is a male one if a female . We had the male neutered which was not a good experience . They had a fight during the first introductions but we moved their cages side by side for several weeks and then tried again . Tonight is the first night they have truely gotten along but then again she is in heat and its amore  :blush2: I am hoping after this they will just accept each other.

cadillactaste

• View Profile

Sorry you had such a hard time with it...glad that they are showing some signs of being smitten...or at least tollerable. Fingers and toes crossed that all continues to go well for you with them being housed together.
~Darlene

Debbie.nl.ca

• Breeder
  • Appreciation points: 30
    • View Profile
    • Debbie's Newfoundland Chinchillas

A hint they may work to cover shelves in fleece; use the long sleeves from fleece shirts.I slip them on over tubes, shelves, and even a peice of pine at the bottom of the cages for Moms to have babies on. ;)
Debbie.nl.ca

Jo Ann

• Global Moderator
  • Appreciation points: 59
  • Chinchillas are a little bit of heaven on earth.
    • View Profile
    • Luv 'N Chins
Re: Wow...had the chin since Saturday and have already altered his cage...
« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2009, 08:07:32 AM »

::silly::

We had the male neutered which was not a good experience

I always discourage neutering or spaying chinchillas, unless it is a matter of life or death. 
1)  their systems are so tiny and difficult to work with ...
2)  they are very sensitive when being put to sleep ... (can be overdosed easily)
3)  not that many vets are familiar with chinchillas ... (especially in this area)
4)  the vet gives you antibiotics and does not bother to tell you they need a replacement of the flora in their systems ...
5)  this weakens their system and if girdia is present, it breaks loose and multiply

He loves just sitting in the empty house when it's not bath time. Or on the top of it...
Notice where the house is (the highest stable point in the cage), he can see what is going on in other parts of the room.  The enclosure around him makes him feel safer, like the rocks that protect them in their native habitat.   ::nod::   Do inspect the house regularly ... he may never chew it, but the odds are he will sooner or later.  You might want to have a hut or ledge ready to replace the dust bath house when/if he starts chewing on it, once they pick out a favorite place, they can get upset if it is changed.

That's great news! Is your one a mature chin then? Is this why you were having trouble? I know I asked our breeder and he said that our babies are a month apart in age...and there should be no trouble putting them together. As long as they are both males. But I do worry...but am glad that with the cage we have...we can easily keep it as a two cage system...or make it one large one. Which if they do ever take a disliking I've got it covered.
Age does play a part in it, but their personalities are the main thing.  Most chinchillas, like most humans, usually get along just fine ... but ... if you find two that have conflicting personalities, it is next to impossible to put them together.   So much easier to put two of the same sex together that like each other to start with ... and they will usually have a much better chance at continuing to like each other for the long haul. 

A hint they may work to cover shelves in fleece; use the long sleeves from fleece shirts.I slip them on over tubes, shelves, and even a peice of pine at the bottom of the cages for Moms to have babies on. ;)
I can see it now ... Hey, honey, do you know where all my flannel shirts are disappearing to?    :D

::wave::   Jo Ann

« Last Edit: April 19, 2009, 08:27:28 AM by Jo Ann »
There are no dumb questions ...
    Only regrets they were not asked ...

Luv 'N Chins (Kid Friendly)
www.luvnchins.com/NewPagesAndArticles.html
My Little Jamie
www.luvnchins.com/AvailableForAdoption.html

Luv 'N Chins II (NOT kid friendly - Medical)
Being re-built! Geocities closed

cadillactaste

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2009, 03:14:29 PM »

Notice where the house is (the highest stable point in the cage), he can see what is going on in other parts of the room.  The enclosure around him makes him feel safer, like the rocks that protect them in their native habitat.      Do inspect the house regularly ... he may never chew it, but the odds are he will sooner or later.  You might want to have a hut or ledge ready to replace the dust bath house when/if he starts chewing on it, once they pick out a favorite place, they can get upset if it is changed.

:-\ Since he's been peeing in his empty dust house...it's no longer in there when bath time is over...I'll have hubby work to build something in his cage. Possibly a hut. Or...I'll get a ledge. Thanks JoAnn once again.
~Darlene

Jo Ann

• Global Moderator
  • Appreciation points: 59
  • Chinchillas are a little bit of heaven on earth.
    • View Profile
    • Luv 'N Chins
« Reply #12 on: April 20, 2009, 07:45:17 AM »

::silly::  You don't want him sitting in urine (staining himself or getting a bacterial infection) or breathing in the fumes, so removing it is the best idea ... just use it for a dust bath container.    :)    There are instructions in my booklet on how to make a hut.  The booklet is on my website, but I'll post a picture also.  They are simple to make and can easily be attached in the same place the dust bath container was attached.

::wave::  Jo Ann
There are no dumb questions ...
    Only regrets they were not asked ...

Luv 'N Chins (Kid Friendly)
www.luvnchins.com/NewPagesAndArticles.html
My Little Jamie
www.luvnchins.com/AvailableForAdoption.html

Luv 'N Chins II (NOT kid friendly - Medical)
Being re-built! Geocities closed

cadillactaste

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 20, 2009, 12:24:09 PM »

Thanks JoAnn...I showed this picture to my husband. I just hope Nibbles doesn't pee in the hutt... ::)
~Darlene
Pages: [1]   Go Up