Chinchillas.org

Chinchilla Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Moving chins around/ smoking around chins  (Read 10980 times)

Hoppinchins

• Appreciation points: 0
    • View Profile
Moving chins around/ smoking around chins
« on: April 24, 2009, 07:57:58 AM »

I'v got two chins that are about 6 months old. I'm going to be at my boyfriends apartment alot over the next couple days. I was going to take them over there for a few days. I know that chins don't like change much. But i'v also read that they can adapt to almost any environment.

I also just took out the ramps in there cage bc they were chewing on them. They were plastic. I'm in the process of putting in wood ones and wood shelves instead. I had them for 5 months before they started to chew on the ramps. Just one day, snowie started to chew on them. I always have chew toys in there and switch them out so they don't get bored with them. My other chin didn't chew on the ramps.

But thats one change for them already. I don't know if it would be to much to take them to my b/f's. Also, my b/f smokes and I could prob get him to smoke outside for a few days while they were there. I was wondering if its safe for the chins to be around cig smoke?

I'm also moving in with my boyfriend in July to a bigger apt. Would it be better for my chins to take them over there and have them stay there till july than to bring them back home?

Sorry for all the questions.  ::silly::

cadillactaste

• Appreciation points: 5
  • Fluffy (Standard) and Nibbles (Violet)
    • View Profile
Re: Moving chins around/ smoking around chins
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2009, 08:10:48 AM »

Well...I don't think you should move them just for a few days...that sounds like a lot of stress for they would then be brought back to your original home correct...

Since you plan on moving in with him later...I would wait to move their cage until that time...as for smoking I'm not sure about that I'll have to let someone else take topic.  ::shrug::

Chins really don't need ramps...they love to hop! They can easily move around without them. My cage came with them and I removed them. From advice I received from other forums... ;) Though if they are chewing on the plastic...definitely wooden shelves and ledges are a must.

~Darlene

Sprinkles

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2009, 08:16:11 AM »

From talking to a petsmart employee who was quite knowledgeable about chins, smoking around a chin will stress them out.  I believed the guy because he seemed to know his stuff, and apparently he had owned up to 63 chins at once (former breeder i guess?).  His theory was chins would naturally react to the smell of smoke and become stressed or anxious.  Personally, i think that makes sense, as I have noticed when my friend comes over who smokes my chin will avoid him in particular while moving freely about everyone else.

Jo Ann

• Global Moderator
  • Appreciation points: 59
  • Chinchillas are a little bit of heaven on earth.
    • View Profile
    • Luv 'N Chins
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2009, 08:33:25 AM »

::silly::   You are correct, moving them from one place to another is stressful for a chinchilla.  A change in routine can be stressful for most chinchillas.  Some chins stress easier than others.  Each chinchilla has it's own personality and each will react to a person/place/move differently.  I hope your boyfriend loves chins as much as you do.  The less moving from one place to another is usually better for the chinchillas ... but ... summer is coming and the possibility of the air conditioner breaking down and your chin having a heat stroke is always possible when you leave one alone.  Leaving them alone while you spend time at your boyfriend's would probably be a change of routine and stressful for your little ones.  What is the least stressful for your chinchillas is a decision you need to think about, by looking at all the possibilities.

Also, my b/f smokes and I could prob get him to smoke outside for a few days while they were there. I was wondering if its safe for the chins to be around cig smoke?  ... I'm also moving in with my boyfriend in July ...
Smoke is not good for chinchillas and their lungs are very small ... but ... If you are going to move in with him, why question if only a few days around smoke will make a difference?  Would he be willing not to smoke outside all the time?  Even after you both move into a larger apartment?  Will his smoking around the chinchillas cause arguments?  Chinchillas stress easily over loud noises/voices/t.v/radio ... these are things you need to take into consideration.

::think::  Jo Ann

I was a smoker for many years and it did not seem to bother my chins that much, I did not smoke in their rooms, but I am sure smoking around them did not help them any either.  
There are no dumb questions ...
    Only regrets they were not asked ...

Luv 'N Chins (Kid Friendly)
www.luvnchins.com/NewPagesAndArticles.html
My Little Jamie
www.luvnchins.com/AvailableForAdoption.html

Luv 'N Chins II (NOT kid friendly - Medical)
Being re-built! Geocities closed

Hoppinchins

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2009, 12:41:21 PM »

Thanks everyone for such a quick advice. I still have to think about what is best for them. I wasn't sure if i'd leave them there for good or if I'd take them back home after a few days.

And my boyfriend haven't argue yet. We get along great and we have great comuncation. My boyfriend loves my chins just as mich as i do. He had some when he was younger. The first thing he does when he comes over is he always plays with my chings right away. I'v already asked him if he is going to smoke inside when we live together. He said no. He's playning on not smoking anymore by that time though. But he said if he hasn't quit by then that he will smoke outside.

Another issue is that at my boyfriends place there is a better place for my chins cage than were I have room for them in my room at my parents house. Also, my dad likes to wait to turn on the A/C so i'm going to have to bug him to turn it on sooner. At my b/c's I can just turn in on when I want to.  ::silly::

ABC Chinchillas

• Global Moderator
  • Appreciation points: 27
    • View Profile
    • ABC Chinchillas
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2009, 01:08:24 PM »

I do not let people smoke in the chinchilla room at all...but then again no one is allowed to smoke in the house. I would just leave them at your house unless it is the only move. Like now I am getting married in May and moving to my fiance's but I will not move the chinchillas now. I will wait until I am living there. I do take them if one needs to be hand fed and I am staying the night, but why stress them out if not necessary.
Elaine McFee and Kristy Morici
starleomach@comcast.net
ABC Chinchillas
abcchinchillas.com

Hoppinchins

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2009, 02:49:04 PM »

cadillactaste, thanks for reinsuring me that chins don't need ramps. I had wanted to take them out awhile ago, but I wasn't sure if it would be a good idea.  Also, I wasn't sure how to replace the plastic ramps with wood ones. Now I won't have to worry about it. I feel better about it now. I just have to make wood shelves. I had also sow the cages from quailtycage.com and I didn't see any of there cages have ramps in them.

So, is it better for them to not have ramps, do you know?

Thanks!  ::silly::

cadillactaste

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2009, 03:33:26 PM »

Our breeder sells cages as well...and there are no ramps offered in any of them.Chinchillas like to jump if you've noticed...Most forums I went to state they don't need them. You've taken out the ramps haven't you...Now it's just placing hte ledges and shelves so they can reach them from one to the next. ;)

I don't know if it's better or not... ::shrug::...But I would think since most breeders who make and sell cages leave the ramps out. It is just one less thing to clutter the cage...that makes them more limited to the space they use around them. That's my take on it anyways.

My guys leap from shelf to shelf...and onto their food container that is mounted to the side of their cage...to the thick PVC elbow that they play on.  With the way my guys leap around uninhibited...I would simply say...they are just really not needed.
~Darlene

Deeliteful

• Appreciation points: 3
  • # of Chins: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2009, 09:40:09 PM »

I am a smoker but I do not smoke in the same room as the chins . They are in the bedroom now and I do not smoke in there . When I had them out here in the living room I went outside to smoke . I have all kinds of air filters and purifiers in my house as well . I wish i could quit . Its harder than I thought it would be.

Jo Ann

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Luv 'N Chins
« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2009, 07:04:32 AM »

::silly::

I don't know if it's better or not... ...But I would think since most breeders who make and sell cages leave the ramps out. It is just one less thing to clutter the cage...that makes them more limited to the space they use around them. That's my take on it anyways.

Most breeders have one level cages and have breeding runs (and/or whelping cages).  Some of the smaller hobby breeders use cages that are more than one level and have whelping cages for new moms.  For our breeders, we always have one level cages that are safe for kits.  We, at one time, made cages, because there were little or no chinchilla-safe cages in the pet stores.  We always left it up to the person getting the chins as to the 'ramp or no ramp' ... most preferred to have ramps. 

There are pros and cons on ramps. 
1)  Some chins are handicap and need the ramps ... some ramps are the reason some chins are handicap.
2)  Wire ramps are easier to clean ... more accidents happen on wire ramps. (foot or paw caught in the wire and break a paw or leg)
3)  Wood ramps are safer ... wood ramps are chewed & need to be cleaned/replaced more often.
4)  Plastic ramps are easy to clean ... but impossible to digest.
5)  Leaping ledges are great ... but, if places at odd distances/heights, can be a *hazard. 

*Leaping ledges provide landing places from one part of the cage to another ... much like steps for humans.  Humans walk in a certain stride or rhythm ... chinchillas jump in the same manner.   Just as steps for humans need to be equally spaced to keep them from throwing the person off balance ... so should the leaping ledges be spaced equally in distance from one to another and in height from one to another to prevent a chin from being thrown off balance as he/she leaps from one to another.

::howdythere::  Jo Ann

My Little Jamie

cadillactaste

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2009, 05:20:15 PM »

Jo Ann...is there any guidelines for someone to go with say...as to how far apart the ledges should be? Currently I'm using the shelves that came with our FN cage, still have my babies on the top part with the bottom closed off with no access...With the Bass Equipment tray and the bottom level shelf added to the top area to give more room...I was considering having my husband build some shelves and ledges...but worry we'll space them incorrectly. Currently they aren't jumping far...and if you walk off of one shelf it's not far to the next level and you land on the other shelf...

Here's a picture which shows what I was trying to explain...

~Darlene

Jo Ann

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Luv 'N Chins
« Reply #11 on: April 28, 2009, 05:39:58 AM »

::silly::  The shelves in the picture are larger than any I have seen ... they look like 1/2 floors.   :)    I'm use to seeing balconies that are about 1/4 the depth of the cage.   One would be just as good as the other.   

*Question, please ... Is there a solid top to each shelf?  The wires seem spaced quite a bit apart on the shelves.

Currently they aren't jumping far...and if you walk off of one shelf it's not far to the next level and you land on the other shelf...

Chins don't do allot of 'walking' if they have room to jump.  The placement of the shelves as they are now would tend to restrict them somewhat in jumping very much.  Sometimes when chins get to playing and chasing eachother around a cage ... they can do that litterally ... I have seen chins run so fast they are running around the inside of the 4 walls of the cage rather than on the floor or a shelf.  This allows them to learn to bound off the walls.  With the placement of the shelves and other items in the cage, there is no area that all 4 walls are clear.  To be able to learn/pratice jumping, they must have enough open spaces to do so.  Don't know if I'm explaining it correctly or not.  I'll try to post a picture of one of the cages we use to make in a little while.   My Danes are insisting they need to go out right now and I can't ignore that.   :D

::wave::  Jo Ann

You might want to check these 2 pages out, they may explain a little better (along with more info) http://luvnchins.com/ChinchillaSupplies.html  &  http://luvnchins.com/ChinchillaSuppliesCages.html

Click on each picture below to enlarge it.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2009, 06:33:54 AM by Jo Ann »

My Little Jamie

cadillactaste

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 28, 2009, 06:59:49 AM »

Yes there is a thin plastic floor sheet tucked into the shelves where the chins can't gain chewing access to the corners of it. Due to it sort of sitting into the metal shelf. If attempting to chew...they would chew the metal...

Contemplating adding that thick PVC pipe with butterfly nuts and washers...and a few leaping ledges...If I do that...I would raise the right hand shelf up from an 8 inch height to 11 1/2 inches high [think that's to tall of a jump?] And remove the left shelf...and place the things there to leap onto...Due to they would still have 1 1/2 foot of space without a shelf then on the left part of the cage. Since it's 3 foot wide...and the shelves are about half the cage size...

I worry about them falling off the ledges...that's 2 foot drop...I know...I can't wrap them in bubble wrap... ::) :blush2: It's just they are still babies aren't they...I don't want them to hurt themselves...But I will and can remove the top left shelf...and add some stuff...My husband plans on making some things for the cage...he recently built the turtles a turtle table.

So he's gun ho about doing something for the chinchillas...
~Darlene

cadillactaste

• View Profile
~Darlene

Jo Ann

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Luv 'N Chins
« Reply #14 on: April 28, 2009, 07:30:03 AM »

::silly::   That's a beautiful table ... your hubby is handy with wood ... good for the chins!!!

That sounds like a good plan to me.   :::grins::

Leaping ledges are easy to make ... In one of our older large cages Bill made a set of 7 leaping ledges and placed them in an upside down "V" arrangement that led up to a 'look out' (the 4-sided hut pictured above) attached at the top of a cage ... the chins seemed to love that.  However you place the leaping ledges, just space them equal distances apart horizontally and equal distances vertically, something similar to this: (but with several bars between each level)

.................__.................
............__.......__............
.......__.................__.......
..__...........................__..

Be sure to get PVC pipe that is at least 5" in diameter ... chinchillas grow fast and you don't want them to get stuck inside of it.  PVC pipe can be easily cleaned and can even be placed on the top shelf of the dishwasher for steralizing it.

Did you notice the cute PVC pipe wrapped with rope "Chinchilla Gym Set" on the same site?   ::thumbsup::

Wood shelves can be cleaned with a hand vac daily. When stained with urined or mashed poop, it's best to take them out, use a vinegar and water solution, let them dry completely, then use some sandpaper on them.  (Good idea to keep a complete extra set on hand to allow plenty of drying time.)

::howdythere::   Jo Ann

« Last Edit: April 28, 2009, 08:05:56 AM by Jo Ann »

My Little Jamie

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up