Chinchillas.org

Chinchilla Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: More specific height placement for shelves...that is considered safe.  (Read 12440 times)

cadillactaste

• Appreciation points: 5
  • Fluffy (Standard) and Nibbles (Violet)
    • View Profile

Yes...Jo Ann...That is the one I had seen... ::nod:: The picture that holds the chiller.
~Darlene

Jo Ann

• Global Moderator
  • Appreciation points: 59
  • Chinchillas are a little bit of heaven on earth.
    • View Profile
    • Luv 'N Chins

Yes...Jo Ann...That is the one I had seen... ::nod:: The picture that holds the chiller.

That, along with a bunch of other really nice things for chinchillas is at:  http://www.simplychintastic.com/

::wave:: Jo Ann

There are no dumb questions ...
    Only regrets they were not asked ...

Luv 'N Chins (Kid Friendly)
www.luvnchins.com/NewPagesAndArticles.html
My Little Jamie
www.luvnchins.com/AvailableForAdoption.html

Luv 'N Chins II (NOT kid friendly - Medical)
Being re-built! Geocities closed

Hoppinchins

• Appreciation points: 0
    • View Profile

Yes it is the one i'm talking about. Can I get a peice like that cut at home depot?

Thats true. everyone does things differently. I just wanted to do it your way bc I knew it worked and it was safe for the chins.

I didn't mean another shelve, I ment another rounded molding peice on the shelve so then things couldn't fall off of it and all 4 sides would be closed.

Jo Ann

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Luv 'N Chins

Yes...Jo Ann...That is the one I had seen... ::nod:: The picture that holds the chiller. ... Yes it is the one i'm talking about. Can I get a peice like that cut at home depot? ... I didn't mean another shelve, I ment another rounded molding peice on the shelve so then things couldn't fall off of it and all 4 sides would be closed.

On the one pictured below ... it appears that they have made this one in 5 parts ... #1 the main base that looks to be about an inch longer on all four sides than the size of the chinchiller.   #s 2 & 3 Then attached the two taller sides to the top of that piece ... (similar to the way we make the huts) ... #s 4 & 5 Then attached two front pieces of wood (probably using 1" x 1" )  Then set the chinchiller in the "box" that they have formed with the 4 sides attached to the base.  To make it smoother and have a nicer appearance, it looks like the have rounded off the corner that is at the front.   A very nice piece of work!

If you notice in the second picture, they drilled a hole in the base so you could use your finger to push the chinchiller out from the bottom up.   :)

I do not know how they attached each piece ... It could have been done with a child safe glue ... OR ... with small wood screws attached from the bottom of the base up ... or with wood dowels.

If you use glue ... make sure it is a child safe glue!
If you use screws/nails ... always watch carefully for any exposed parts of the screws/nails and move or remove them.  Chins will chew any wood put into the cage and can expose the screws/nails.
If you use wood dowels, this is the safest.  You get the dowel ... drill holes into the wood (making sure they line up with each part) ... then insert the dowels and gently force the pieces together.

::wave::  Jo Ann

Could you get the pieces cut for you?  Probably ... but it would be much more economical to cut the smaller pieces (the quarter round) with a hand saw, and use a little sandpaper to smooth them down.   ::nod::   Remember, you will probably have to replace pieces ever so often ... a small hack saw or honing saw will pay for itself in no time.   :::grins::
« Last Edit: May 07, 2009, 05:49:42 AM by Jo Ann »

My Little Jamie

cadillactaste

• View Profile

Jo Ann...what about a non-toxic wood glue. I seen a brand that stated that on the side of the bottle...
~Darlene

Hoppinchins

• View Profile

Thanks. What about getting the chinchiller the right size and finding it to buy?

Jo Ann

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Luv 'N Chins

::silly::
Thanks. What about getting the chinchiller the right size and finding it to buy?
You can purchase the expensive ones in most pet stores... OR ... you can go to your local Lowes or Home Depot to the flooring department and purchase a ceramic tile, a granite tile or a marble tile ... granite seems the most durable ... the thicker, the better ... most of them come in 8", 10", 12" squares and some 16" squares ... any of these sizes would be just fine.  Get your chin-chiller/stone or tile first, then use it's measurements to get the correct size to make your holder.

Jo Ann...what about a non-toxic wood glue. I seen a brand that stated that on the side of the bottle...
That should work, but since I don't have the label in front of me I can just say if it is a nontoxic would glue ... it should be OK to use.   :::grins::

::wave::  Jo Ann

My Little Jamie

Hoppinchins

• View Profile

Thanks!  :)

cadillactaste

• View Profile
Re: More specific height placement for shelves...that is considered safe.
« Reply #38 on: January 13, 2010, 10:16:02 AM »

Gotta love the search engine...Was trying to recall where to find some nice chinchilla toys. My son wants to pick out a few for the chins play area. And Wa~La...Jo Ann I do appreciate again that link you attached. I plan on showing him the website when he gets home from school. 
~Darlene
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up