Chinchillas.org

Chinchilla Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Mommy of 3 Chins  (Read 4005 times)

mommato3chins

• Appreciation points: 0
    • View Profile
Mommy of 3 Chins
« on: April 29, 2009, 03:02:48 PM »

Hi everyone!!!

I recently became a new owner of 3 chins. I have never had chinchillas before this but always wanted one. I posted an add on craigslist and recieved a response that a woman had 2 chinchillas for sale. I did the necessary research (food, toys, diet, cage set up, etc) but didn't do research on sexing. Bad mistake. Hopefully I type this out well enough so you all will know what I'm talking about.

I started out with Penny and Tid Bit. They were sold to me as females (mother and daughter)
Went home and Tid Bit started to hump Penny. I did the research online finally about sexing and discovered Tid Bit was a male. Now keep in mind, when I went to pick up the chins, Penny had just had a littler of 2 kits 2 weeks prior (the owner insisted it was ok for Penny to leave her babies and gave Penny to me for free...if I would have known the damage that could do, I wouldn't have taken her) so I didn't sex her. I decided to call around to various vets and see about getting Tid Bit neutered. I didn't want them to inbreed. So I found a vet that was comfortable with neutering and with chinchillas and made an appt. I dropped off Tid Bit and left him for his appt. The vet assured me he would be fine. I got a call less than 15 minutes later that Tid Bit had passed away. I was crushed and felt like it was my fault for days after. Turns out the vet gave him the wrong gas and his heart stopped within 5 minutes.

Afterwards, Penny searched her cage day and night looking for Tid Bit. She became withdrawn and quiet. I decided she was meant to be in pairs since she had never been an only chinchilla according to her previous owner. I put up another craigslist post talking about what had happened to Tid Bit and that I was looking for a female companion for Penny. I recieved many wonderful responses and finally decided on one. I went up to get her (Petunia) and fell in love with another female while I was there (Anabelle). I decided since I have a 6 level cage that 3 wouldn't be too rough. I brought the girls home (made sure they were girls!!!) and for the first 4 or 5 days Penny was curious but the girls weren't best buds that's for sure. Eventually they got comfortable with eachother and made friends.

I noticed the day before I moved Petunia and Anabelle into Penny's cage, that my temporary cage had white discharge on the bottom where anabelle slept. I lifted her up and she had some all over her female parts. Now I've read 2 books and looked and looked online for as much as I could see about chins being in heat and mating. After reading that a white discharge will apear after mating takes place I felt my stomach sink. I lifted up Penny and checked and sure enough. Male. So it was the babies dad I had.

There were 2 things majorly wrong with this...one, Tid bit didn't have to die and I felt horrible that if I would have only checked both, he would still be here today.

Second issue is I just got 2 females and put them in with a male. Now Anabelle might be expecting and Petunia will be next. This faces me with another problem. Finding a vet again that is very skilled with chinchillas, that doesn't mind proving to me that he knows what hes doing (I've done a ton more research so I know exactly what to ask) and taking the risk to hand over one of my babies again and trust someone that he'll come back to me.

I had called the owner I got Penny and Tid Bit from previously to Tid Bit passing on so I could give her an update on how they were doing and she informed me at the time that one of the 2 kits had died. Now I know that it died not only because it was taken away from it's parent too soon but because the kits were trying to nurse on their daddy when I went there. They basically starved to death.

I have had one heck of a ride with having chins. I love mine more than anything though and they each have amazing personalities. They're worth every single dime you spend on them and every single hour you spend on research. I joined here so I don't have to search non stop for information anymore when I need it. Now I can come on here and talk to actual people that know the answer to what I need. Internet sites don't always have the accurate info.

So thanks for reading, if you need clarification on anything feel free to ask. I know it's a lot to read at one sitting.

Anabelle...

Penny...

Petunia...

My late Tid Bit (he's inside the hut)
« Last Edit: April 29, 2009, 06:06:25 PM by mommato3chins »

Jo Ann

• Global Moderator
  • Appreciation points: 59
  • Chinchillas are a little bit of heaven on earth.
    • View Profile
    • Luv 'N Chins
Re: Mommy of 3 Chins
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2009, 04:11:02 PM »

::silly::   Glad you found us!  There are enough seasoned breeders and chinchilla owners on here that we should be able to help you with most any question.

Remember: There are no dumb questions ... only regrets they were not ask!

I started out with Penny and Tid Bit. They were sold to me as females (mother and daughter)
Went home and Tid Bit started to hump Penny. I did the research ... discovered Tid Bit was a male.
You would not believe how many times someone (even pet stores) has sold two chins "of the same sex", and later, the new owner finds out it is one male and one female ... usually discovering this when they find tiny kits running around in the cage.

... when I went to pick up the chins, Penny had just had a littler of 2 kits 2 weeks prior (the owner insisted it was ok for Penny to leave her babies and gave Penny to me for free...if I would have known the damage that could do, I wouldn't have taken her) so I didn't sex her.

:flames: I won't even say what I would want to say had I been there at the time.  :flames:    ::tickedoff:: This person has no business being allowed to even touch a chinchilla, let alone own one. 

I decided to call around to various vets and see about getting Tid Bit neutered. I didn't want them to inbreed. So I found a vet that was comfortable with neutering and with chinchillas and made an appt. I dropped off Tid Bit and left him for his appt. The vet assured me he would be fine. I got a call less than 15 minutes later that Tid Bit had passed away. I was crushed and felt like it was my fault for days after. Turns out the vet gave him the wrong gas and his heart stopped within 5 minutes.
Unfortunately, you will find there are vets that prefer to say they know what they are doing, rather than admit they don't know the answer or that they are very possibly incompetent.  If you read over much of this forum and/or my website, you will know I am 100% against neutering or spaying a chinchilla ... you have, unfortunately, just found out one of those reasons.

I noticed the day before I moved Petunia and Anabelle into Penny's cage, that my temporary cage had white discharge on the bottom where Anabelle slept. I lifted her up and she had some all over her female parts. ... After reading that a white discharge will apear after mating takes place I felt my stomach sink. I lifted up Penny and checked and sure enough. Male. So it was the babies dad I had.
::think::  So, let me see if I get this right ... Penny and Tid Bit were not mother and daughter, they were father and son?   :doh:    Bet you just love that first 'breeder' and I use the term loosely!   

*Something you probably did not know ... humping by one chinchilla of another chinchilla is not always sexual ... it is also a way of showing dominance between two chinchillas of the same sex.  This is one of the ways they decide who will be the alpha/boss chin.

...Anabelle ... white discharge on the bottom where Anabelle slept ... and she had some all over her female parts. ... After reading that a white discharge will apear after mating takes place ...I lifted up Penny and checked and sure enough. Male.

You are probably right about the white (clear) discharge being from a mating, so start counting from that day to 111 days from the day you discovered it ... plan on a new litter!  Example: If it was today, April 29th you discovered this, more than likely you will see a new litter on or around August 17th ... be prepaired!   The discharge from a mating should be more like egg whites ... clear and sticky ... she will also, if it is a successful mating discharge what looks like a whitish waxy plug about as big around as a pencil and any where from 1/2" to 3 1/2" long.   Unless you actually see the mating and watch the female carefully, you will probably not see the plug ... they will often eat the waxy plug as soon as it is expelled.

Having said that ... a whitish (not see through) or yellowish discharge can also mean there is a possible urinary or female tract infection ... might be a good idea to get her checked out, just to be safe.   :)  When the vet checks her, he can also check her for heart murmurs or any other possible problems that could possibly complicate things in the future.  (I think I would find a new vet first.)

I just looked closely at the pictures of the three chins ... How old is Anabelle?   She "looks" much to young to be having kits ... but looks can fool you.    ::)

I had called the owner I got Penny and Tid Bit from previously to Tid Bit passing on so I could give her an update on how they were doing and she informed me at the time that one of the 2 kits had died. Now I know that it died not only because it was taken away from it's parent too soon but because the kits were trying to nurse on their daddy when I went there. They basically starved to death.

Do you know if she has put the one kit that is left back with it's mother, or if it is still separated from the mother?

Please report this person to the local SPCA and the police ... this person should never be able to own another chinchilla ... ever!  (At least not, in my opinion.)  I would probably land in jail if I ever met this person face to face ... and I have never been a violent person.

Do you still have all three (two females and one male) in the same cage?

Do you realize you will need to put Anabelle in a whelping cage when it is about a week prior to her delivery date?

You will also need to have a nursing supplement kit ready ... just in case you have to help out feeding the kit/kits.

You have lots to learn and a short time to learn it ... but we will be here to help.

::wave::  Jo Ann

« Last Edit: April 30, 2009, 08:35:41 AM by Jo Ann »
There are no dumb questions ...
    Only regrets they were not asked ...

Luv 'N Chins (Kid Friendly)
www.luvnchins.com/NewPagesAndArticles.html
My Little Jamie
www.luvnchins.com/AvailableForAdoption.html

Luv 'N Chins II (NOT kid friendly - Medical)
Being re-built! Geocities closed

cadillactaste

• Appreciation points: 5
  • Fluffy (Standard) and Nibbles (Violet)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2009, 04:45:43 PM »

Wow...I'm so sorry that you had such a time with your first experiance with the chins...WOW! Two males and thinking you had two females to thinking you had a male and a female...to father and son...That's a lot to chew...That breeder/incompentant woman...I honestly hope and pray someone shuts that woman down from breeding chinchillas...Starving the baby like that...putting them with the father. You can look online at pictures and it SHOWS what males and females look like. She should have checked before handing the chins to you.

Both times I picked up my chins from the breeder. They were sexed to assure me they were indeed males. Now you need to hit the search button for some great links on what to expect now. I know Jo Ann just posted a few on another post...I'm heading out the door or I would look that post up and paste it here...
~Darlene

mommato3chins

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2009, 05:54:04 PM »

Jo Ann: The lady I got Tid Bit and Penny from wasn't a breeder. She had 2 chins originally from her daughter that ended up moving out. They kept breeding so when I picked up the two from her she had Penny, Tid Bit and 2 new babies. From what she told me, Right before the kits were born, she had taken their cage outside so they could play and eat some grass while she cleaned. Apparently their new coon hound puppy knocked over the cage and the "dad" (in actuallity the mother of the kits I'm assuming) got out and the dog got it and killed it. So I can say all the bad things in the world about this lady but I am honestly glad I could get Penny and my poor late Tid Bit out of that situation. I think she was honestly clueless.

Anabelle is 6 months. I know she is too young to breed so I wish I would have discovered Penny's little secret earlier so I could have kept them seperated. Now that it may be too late, I'm wondering if I should give her some kind of extra supplement to keep her strong and healthy? I feel like the worst chin mom ever!!! Almost anything that can go wrong with a new owner has happened to me. All I want is for them to be happy and healthy. What you were saying about the plug, when I noticed it, there was a creamy (like you said egg white) discharge right where she laid in her hut with a more solid looking white substance half the size of a pencil eraser then on her female parts. It was only there for a day. I checked the next day and it was gone and I haven't seen anything since resembling that in the cage.

Oh and get this....the baby kit from the first lady, she puts the kit(s) in with a male rat. I guess the rat helps raise the kits. Luckily after I took Penny and Tid Bit, she was only left with the one baby and had already made arangements with a pet store to purchase the baby when it was of age. So I am sure she doesn't have anymore chins which is such a good thing! She told me when Tid Bit was a baby the male rat had raised him as well (mom kept being rough with the kits and would kill them). I wish I could have taken the kits with me too when I bought her, but I already had spent almost $300 for the supplies and cage then she wanted another $200 for the babies. I know with a majority of chins that's cheap for babies but as a new owner I wasn't ready to take on 4 chins right off the bat. Even if I had, now that I know the mother was the one to die, I would have felt bad bringing them home then having them pass away shortly after because of not realizing Penny was their dad and not their mom.

She was feeding my chins the Fiesta brand gerbil food because she said it was pretty much the exact same thing but it was cheaper. Is this true? If this is a bad idea I want to start the process of switching foods over so that I can get away from the stuff. I have no problem spending more so if it's in their better interest I'd rather go the safer route. I've only had my chins about 3 weeks so I have A LOT to learn!!!

Thanks guys  :::grins::

P.S. After looking at the pics above of my chins, can anyone tell me what you think they're coloring is? I'm assuming Penny is a standard grey, but was guessing on Anabelle and Petunia that Anabelle is a form of ebony (dad was ebony and mom was standard grey) and Petunia is a homo beige? She's so light tan she's almost white and her eyes are red.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2009, 05:59:43 PM by mommato3chins »

Sprinkles

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2009, 10:26:27 PM »

Wow you've gone through quite a bit.  Welcome to the forum.  You're story is amazing, and i'm sorry for your loss of Tid Bit.  Good luck, and be sure to read up.  There's lots of great information in the old posts.  I continue to learn new things everyday about my chin. By the way, yours look absolutely gorgeous.  I think you're right on the coloring. 

mommato3chins

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2009, 10:41:02 PM »

I was hoping so. Anabelle has beautiful coloring. She has adorable thin pinline light grey circles around the bottom of her ears, otherwise she's very dark all over. I fell in love with their coloring when I first saw them because I've never seen anything other than a standard grey at pet stores in person. I think chin colors are so gorgeous. If I ever had another chin I would want a wilson white.

cadillactaste

• Appreciation points: 5
  • Fluffy (Standard) and Nibbles (Violet)
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2009, 05:01:13 AM »

Well you can only make best of the situation they came from...As the other stated...I'm sorry for your loss...That had to be hard. But only going on what the woman told you...you had no idea...since she was clueless...
~Darlene

Jo Ann

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Luv 'N Chins
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2009, 10:08:09 AM »

::silly::
The lady I got Tid Bit and Penny from wasn't a breeder. She had 2 chins originally from her daughter that ended up moving out.
I feel sorry for the lady ... but those poor chins ... apparently her daughter is not what a mother could take much pride in. 

From what she told me, Right before the kits were born, she had taken their cage outside so they could play and eat some grass while she cleaned.
Apparently, the daughter told the mother nothing about how to care for a chinchilla ... you never take them outside!
 ::think::  Doing some wondering here ... if the chin was turned loose, by accident, before the kits were born ... then Penny would have to be the mom ... unless ... there was a 3rd adult chinchilla that was lost, killed, sold or eaten after the kits were born and it was the kits' momma.

Apparently their new coon hound puppy knocked over the cage and the "dad" (in actuallity the mother of the kits I'm assuming) got out and the dog got it and killed it. So I can say all the bad things in the world about this lady but I am honestly glad I could get Penny and my poor late Tid Bit out of that situation. I think she was honestly clueless.
Sounds like she was clueless.  I just feel sorry for those poor chinchillas ... but, at least some of them had a guardian angel ... you.

Anabelle is 6 months. I know she is too young to breed so I wish I would have discovered Penny's little secret earlier so I could have kept them separated. Now that it may be too late...
The female chinchilla has the ability (physically) to get pregnant at 3 1/2 to 4 months of age, so she is probably pregnant.  This is a whole new Pandora's box to have to deal with, but I think you can handle it.  These chins seem to be in the hands of someone who really cares ... you will be good for them.

In the picture Anabelle looks like an ebony and if her father was an ebony, then she is definitely an ebony.  I never put my ebonies into breeding until they are 18 months old (due to the size of the ebonies).  Her being only 6 months old, it may be impossible for her to deliver the kits naturally ... start saving money encase the vet has to help her deliver.  If this is the case, you may have to hand feed the kits yourself.  Check out this article: " First Signs of Trouble" at: http://www.geocities.com/jobernstein1949/  Watch each video carefully. 

Now that it may be too late, I'm wondering if I should give her some kind of extra supplement to keep her strong and healthy?
She needs a good quality chinchilla pellet, plenty of hay (under the circumstances, I would give her Alfalfa hay) be sure to keep hay in the cage at all times and remove any after 24 hours and replace it with fresh hay, pine chew sticks, a lava stone, oats and/or cracked oats (check at a farm store or co-op), dried papaya and/or dried rose hips as a treat and for added vitamins.

I feel like the worst chin mom ever!!!
   You are not a bad chin mom, just an inexperienced one and you are trying to make the best of a horrible situation.  Stick with it ... you are there for them for a reason.

Oh and get this....the baby kit from the first lady, she puts the kit(s) in with a male rat. I guess the rat helps raise the kits. ... she was only left with the one baby and had already made arangements with a pet store to purchase the baby when it was of age.
A male rat??   :doh:  From what you have said here, it will be a miracle if that kit survives long enough to get to the pet store.

She told me when Tid Bit was a baby the male rat had raised him as well ...
  Poor little Tid Bit never had a chance, but he must have been one good little fighter to have survived being raised by a male rat.   ???  Is she positive the rat is a male?  Maybe it's a female.  In some species, some females will produce milk when there is a baby in need, even if it is not their baby and they have not had a recent litter.

with a more solid looking white substance half the size of a pencil eraser then on her female parts. It was only there for a day. I checked the next day and it was gone and I haven't seen anything since resembling that in the cage.
That was probably what was left of the mating plug.

...she wanted another $200 for the babies...
  Well, she didn't get that extra $200 and by now, they are probably both dead ... greed can come back on you when you do something like that.  Now I really don't feel very sorry for her either.

She was feeding my chins the Fiesta brand gerbil food because she said it was pretty much the exact same thing but it was cheaper. Is this true?

Nope.  Chinchillas need chinchilla food.  Check with your local Wall-Mart and at some of the pet stores ... Mazuri Chinchilla Pellets Diet is about the best you will find in a pet store (it's the only brand found in the pet departments of Wall-Mart/pet stores, that I would recommend).  Exotic Pet Vets sometimes carry the Oxbow Chinchilla Pellets, this would be better than the Mazuri.  Then there is Shoots Chinchilla Pellets and Traditions Chinchilla Pellets ... Both of these are the top of the line for your chins ... those you would probably have to order on line, unless you could find a breeder near you that you could buy them from.  If you will let us know what part of the country you are in, maybe we could help you find a breeder that might have the Shoots or the Traditions chinchilla food available for you to get your new babies.

I'm assuming Penny is a standard grey, but was guessing on Anabelle and Petunia that Anabelle is a form of ebony (dad was ebony and mom was standard grey) ...

What relations are Anabelle and Petunia?  Or are they related at all?

We know Anabelle's dad was an ebony and mom was a standard gray ... that makes Anabelle a hetero ebony chinchilla.

...Petunia is a homo beige? She's so light tan she's almost white and her eyes are red.
We would have to know what colors the parents of Petunia were to be able to answer that one.  What colors were Petunia's parents?
Petunia could be a hetero beige or a homo beige from the looks in the picture ... the colors of the parents and the eyes will be the best way to determine which one.

How old is Petunia?

My Little Jamie

mommato3chins

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2009, 06:54:19 PM »

I live in Oregon so if there are any breeders close to me that would be wonderful. That way I could also have someone to talk to in a rushed time of need! (If I need help during a birth) I would also love if anyone in the area of Woodburn/Salem/Oregon City might know of a good reliable vet in case I need to take Anabelle in. I've been calling everywhere and no one specializes or even feels comfortable caring for chins. They'll deal with skunks and ferrets but not chins. Geesh.

Petunia and Anabelle aren't related. They were in different cages with their parents. I'm taking a guess here...I'm 90% sure Petunia's mom was a homo beige and dad was a standard grey. A very light standard grey though.

I got myself mixed up. The lady had told me she put the chins outside right afte the babies were born. I can't believe she mixed up who was killed though. The way she talked about them, they had completely different personalities so I'm shocked she'd go on for 2 weeks thinking the male was the female. All I know is my 3 will never be treated the way she treated hers.

The rat the babies was put with was deffiately male. He was named "cajones" for a very obvious reason!  :blush2:

I'll do some more research and watch those videos Jo Ann. Sounds like it will be very helpful. I've also made my list for the things I'll need during the birth and will be checking to see if my local walmart has goats milk. By my calculations based on when I saw the mating plug, she should deliver on or very close to August 8th. I hope more than anything she'll be ok. She loves Penny very very much. I'm starting to think they've become a bonded pair. Penny sleeps on top of the hut whenever she's inside like he wants to protect her and when she eats he's right next to her helping to spin the hay wheel when she can't reach a piece. Such a sweet pair. Petunia is almost like the baby of the group and plays non stop but then will cuddle inside the hut next to Anabelle to sleep. I'm so in love with my chins. Never thought I could love such a small animal so much!!!!

Jo Ann

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Luv 'N Chins
« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2009, 01:37:06 AM »

::silly::
I'm 90% sure Petunia's mom was a homo beige and dad was a standard grey. A very light standard grey though.
With the dad being a standard gray, even if momma was a homo beige, that would mean Petunia is a very light hetero beige.

Check out this website: http://www.thegnawtychinchilla.com/  They are in Oregon, but I don't know them personally. 
Here's another one to check out:  Ronda's Chinchillas  0911
Ronda Frazier
81170 Hwy 395N
Hermiston OR 97838 US
Phone 1: 541-567-5017
Email: Rondaschins@eoni.com

Not knowing where in Oregon you are or how far you might be willing to travel ... You might want to check out the neighboring states on these three sites: 
1) Chinchilla Club Breeders Directory at: http://www.chinchillaclub.com/breeder/
2) M.C.B.A.  Mutation Chinchillas Breeders Association at: http://www.mutationchinchillas.com/ 
3) Empress  at: http://www.empresschinchilla.com/   

Hope this helps!

PS My phone number is on my website if you run into an emergency and need to talk to someone.   :)

My Little Jamie

Pages: [1]   Go Up