Chinchillas.org

Chinchilla Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Hello CC forum! :)  (Read 3476 times)

magicTEAR4eva

• Appreciation points: 0
    • View Profile
Hello CC forum! :)
« on: May 27, 2009, 04:05:05 AM »

Hi. My chinchilla is 5 years old. I am new to this forum. I just joined to ask some questions but then I uploaded pictures, then started to read this stuff and I think I got addicted.  ::nod:: I think I am the only person from Latvia who has joined this forum.

I buy "VITAKRAFT - Pellets" and "VITAKRAFT - Emotion beauty" food for my chin.
My chinchilla is healthy, not too thin or fat, happy, a bit lonely. I would love to take him to a chinchilla farm on breeding or just meet other chinchillas but I don't have any chinchilla farms in my country.  :-\  I give him fruit and plants(roses, grass, leaves and those yellow flowers with milk..). Is that bad? My mom says that I am crazy that fruit are is risky. I sometimes give him bananas and apples. Rarely but often in summer some strawberry and my chinchilla LOVES cherry. He goes crazy, he would do anything for cherry. But I never heard that chinchillas can eat cherry.... Can't they?  Also, I once gave him a very small piece of chocolate. He loved it and NOTHING happened. He lives! He loves nuts and raisins of course and he hates candy from pet store ( special candy for chinchillas with strawberry and yoghurt flavor). I want him to taste everything he can taste.

Any ideas and advices?  :::grins::

Laura

Jo Ann

• Global Moderator
  • Appreciation points: 59
  • Chinchillas are a little bit of heaven on earth.
    • View Profile
    • Luv 'N Chins
Re: Hello CC forum! :)
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2009, 09:33:20 AM »

::silly::  Hi!  And welcome to the Chinchilla Club Forum!

::think:: Where is Latvia?

I have used and can recommend Shoots Chinchilla Pellets, Traditions Chinchilla Pellets, Oxbow Chinchilla Pellets and Mazuri Chinchilla Pellets ... those are the only ones I have found that I would use for my chins. 

I give him fruit and plants(roses, grass, leaves and those yellow flowers with milk..). Is that bad?

Be very careful what you feed him ... even though he is probably getting more nutrition from the fresh plants you are feeding him than from the chinchilla pellets you are giving him (just my opinion).
Always remember to be very careful about anything that you give him that grows outside ... you have to be careful of pesticides and animals that are sick that can pass the sickness on to your chinchilla by just walking over an area you are cutting to take into your chinchilla for him to eat.

Do you feed him rose petals and all?  What kind of grass?  What kind of leaves? 

The yellow flowers with milk are probably dandylions.

Be very careful with the kind of fruit you give him ... some could kill him.  Always give in very small portions ... remember ... when you compare the size of the chinchilla to your size  ... a tiny raisin is as big as a basketball to a chinchilla.

But I never heard that chinchillas can eat cherry.... Can't they?  Also, I once gave him a very small piece of chocolate. He loved it and NOTHING happened. He lives! He loves nuts and raisins of course and he hates candy from pet store ( special candy for chinchillas with strawberry and yoghurt flavor). I want him to taste everything he can taste.

I never give my chinchillas cherries because it is grown with a pit in it.
Chocolate contains oil and fats a chinchilla's system is not made to digest ... You were lucky this time, I hope you don't do it again.  You may not be as lucky the next time.
Nuts contain natural oils that a chinchilla's digestive system is not made to digest and because of this it can cause a fatty liver, which, over a period of time, can kill.
Raisins (no more than one a day) are OK, on occasions, but not as a regular diet ... they contain to much sugar.

I want him to taste everything he can taste.
What you want and what he wants may kill him ...  he will eat anything you will give him, as a general rule, but that does not mean it is good for him, or that it will not kill him.  Chinchillas need a quality feed, hay, fresh water, pine chew blocks, a lava stone and a clean cage ... anything else can be considered a treat.  They can not miss what they have never had and many things you might think are OK for him, could kill him eventually or almost instantly ... I would not be experimenting with feeding him things that might hurt or kill him. 

Just my thoughts on the subject ...

::wave::   Jo Ann

« Last Edit: May 27, 2009, 09:34:54 AM by Jo Ann »
There are no dumb questions ...
    Only regrets they were not asked ...

Luv 'N Chins (Kid Friendly)
www.luvnchins.com/NewPagesAndArticles.html
My Little Jamie
www.luvnchins.com/AvailableForAdoption.html

Luv 'N Chins II (NOT kid friendly - Medical)
Being re-built! Geocities closed

ABC Chinchillas

• Global Moderator
  • Appreciation points: 27
    • View Profile
    • ABC Chinchillas
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2009, 12:53:06 PM »

I agree with everything said above..Just because they like it does not mean it is good for them
Elaine McFee and Kristy Morici
starleomach@comcast.net
ABC Chinchillas
abcchinchillas.com

magicTEAR4eva

• Appreciation points: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2009, 08:21:28 AM »

I don't give him candy or chips.  rofl
Thank you for advices. I'll be more careful.  :-\

Laura

Jo Ann

• Global Moderator
  • Appreciation points: 59
  • Chinchillas are a little bit of heaven on earth.
    • View Profile
    • Luv 'N Chins
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2009, 07:49:32 AM »

::silly::   No problem at all ...  :::grins::  ... that's what we're here for ... to help eachother.   ::nod::

::wave::   Jo Ann
There are no dumb questions ...
    Only regrets they were not asked ...

Luv 'N Chins (Kid Friendly)
www.luvnchins.com/NewPagesAndArticles.html
My Little Jamie
www.luvnchins.com/AvailableForAdoption.html

Luv 'N Chins II (NOT kid friendly - Medical)
Being re-built! Geocities closed
Pages: [1]   Go Up