Chinchillas.org

Chinchilla Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Chins scarying kitty  (Read 2413 times)

Hoppinchins

• Appreciation points: 0
    • View Profile
Chins scarying kitty
« on: December 29, 2009, 01:03:46 PM »

So for christmas we got our 2 chins an excisering ball. I think snowie likes it better then pogo. Snowie just hops right into it. It took them both a bit to get used to it. Our kitten is afried of the ball. He's also interested in in though. He'll meow at it and get close but once the chin gets moving he runs away and hides. Its pretty funny. Snowie chases him.

Jenova

• Appreciation points: 6
  • Cheech ^_^
    • View Profile
Re: Chins scarying kitty
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2009, 06:08:12 AM »

My rabbit Grimlock hates the ball so much. He's so scared I can't have him and a chinnie out at the same time. They do chase him though...

Hoppinchins

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2010, 10:58:45 PM »

oh wow. Thats bad. Waldo isn't that scared of the ball.. At least not yet. I'm going to get a second ball at some point. Snowie has already ran him into the wall twice.

obiwan

• Appreciation points: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2010, 09:30:13 PM »

Aren't those balls dangerous for chinchillas? I had one once with a hamster and his really heated up after just 10 minutes of rolling around. Given than chins are so sensitive to heat I would think this would be a no-no for them.

Jenova

• Appreciation points: 6
  • Cheech ^_^
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2010, 09:06:25 AM »

It's a bit of an iffy topic...

I think that with proper supervision they can be a really fun toy for chins and a safe way to exercise. If the ball is big enough, if they're not left in for too long and supervised properly and if they don't get too hot etc. But a lot of people hate them and believe they are dangerous.  ::shrug::

Hoppinchins

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2010, 12:11:55 PM »

they can be dangerous. But with the biggest size ball and with being watched is fine. I was have a problem with them excaping from the fence during play time. This way the can have a change of view for a bit. It also depends on how fast they are moving around in the ball, which depends on how long they should be in the ball.

Jo Ann

• Global Moderator
  • Appreciation points: 59
  • Chinchillas are a little bit of heaven on earth.
    • View Profile
    • Luv 'N Chins
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2010, 09:07:39 AM »

Aren't those balls dangerous for chinchillas? I had one once with a hamster and his really heated up after just 10 minutes of rolling around. Given than chins are so sensitive to heat I would think this would be a no-no for them.
It's a bit of an iffy topic...

I think that with proper supervision they can be a really fun toy for chins and a safe way to exercise. If the ball is big enough, if they're not left in for too long and supervised properly and if they don't get too hot etc. But a lot of people hate them and believe they are dangerous.  ::shrug::

The "roll-a-bout" balls are only as safe as the environment they are in and the close supervision of the caretaker of the chin.

The "JUMBO" size is 15 inches in diameter and is the only size I would recommend ... if you want to use one.  
{The "large" or "giant" are to small and will effect the growth of the spine.}
The temperature in the room is also a factor ... the cooler the room, the better.  
If you have floor heating vents ... be very careful and block them so that the ball can not come to rest on or near a vent.
Unsupervised balls can get stuck under furniture ... roll out an open door and/or down a flight of stairs that are not properly blocked off.
Other family pets are often more than happy to help turn a little chin loose ...   ::nod:: ... or be terrorised by it.   ::)
Play time inside the ball should never be more than 10 or 15 minutes ... depending on the activity, health health of the chinchilla and it's sensitivity to temperature.
Never use one outside ... they have been known to break open by themselves ... an event which would probably cost you your chin.
Even inside, sun beams shining through windows, can cause the temperature inside the ball to increase quickly.

A ball is not a chin-sitter ... if not properly and constantly supervised you can be lulled into a false sence of security ... it is a toy that can quickly become a death trap ... .

A rolling ball needs to be supervised even more closely than regular free play times ... you never know when to expect the unexpected.

A ball should be washed and dried, every time it is used and with each individual chinchilla.  If not washed and dried properly, it becomes a breeding ground for germs and bacteria.
They are great when used properly and not as a substitute for your personal attention.   :::grins::

::wave::  Jo Ann
« Last Edit: January 05, 2010, 09:24:49 AM by Jo Ann »
There are no dumb questions ...
    Only regrets they were not asked ...

Luv 'N Chins (Kid Friendly)
www.luvnchins.com/NewPagesAndArticles.html
My Little Jamie
www.luvnchins.com/AvailableForAdoption.html

Luv 'N Chins II (NOT kid friendly - Medical)
Being re-built! Geocities closed

Debbie.nl.ca

• Breeder
  • Appreciation points: 30
    • View Profile
    • Debbie's Newfoundland Chinchillas
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2010, 11:01:01 AM »

A ball is not a chin-sitter

So true. I have one chin that came with his ball and he loved it. Would jump right in at the site of it. But that's all he was used too. His first owners had cats & dogs, and he knew he was safe in there.
But once I got him used to a room to run in he kinda turned off from the ball, and I had no need to use it. I did gave it to a buyer and she uses it now.
I'd keep ball runs short & sweet, and keep the droppings cleaned out, it must be a pain to be running around with droppings chasing you  :D
Debbie.nl.ca

Hoppinchins

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2010, 12:54:26 AM »

lol. I guess it would. You'd be running away from the poop. Using the ball leaves a trail of poop sometimes. Which i don't like.
Pages: [1]   Go Up