Chinchillas.org

Chinchilla Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Soon to be owner with a few questions  (Read 4402 times)

Woodstock

• Appreciation points: 0
    • View Profile
Re: Soon to be owner with a few questions
« Reply #15 on: February 19, 2010, 09:34:42 PM »

Awesome :) lots of great advice everyone! But I have a few more questions...

Do they make alot of noise at night? If they do where does the noise come from? (squeaky wheel, cage rattling, etc) I'm a little concerned they'll keep me up at night. I've designated a room on the other side of the house for them, but I'm kind of a light sleeper. Would I be alright?

Do they need regular vet visits? Immunizations? I have a local vet for my other pets that would accept them, but what is the likelyhood that they'll need vet attention?

Just a few concerns. Thanks in advance :)

BambiLove

• Appreciation points: 3
  • Why must chinchillas be so cute?
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 19, 2010, 09:46:49 PM »

well im not expert but im fine sleeping with my chinchilla in my room, he does make noise (mostly from the wheel), but other than that theres no noise. My mom extremely hate animals that make noise during night (i had to gave my bunny away because of that), but shes fine with my chinchilla. Plus, he will eventually sleep at night, but he wakes up sometimes to exercise though. But if you are going to put them in a different room, then i think you'll be fine  :)
I wish one day every pet will have a good home and be happy~

LindyLu

• Appreciation points: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 19, 2010, 10:29:03 PM »

In a different room, you should be fine! I sleep with 2 chins right next to my bed! It's mostly the wheels making the cages rattle a bit. Sometimes when my big guy jumps onto the floor of his cage from a high ledge, I hear a thump. Sometimes they make little sounds themselves. And for whatever reason, my male chin DRINKS his water bottle loudly...the little ball bumping against the side of the spout thing makes a fast click click sound...(my husband teases that Dewey is sending a telegraph because that's kind of what it sounds like). My lil girl drinks quietly though, so I dunno if it's just his bottle or his style! LOL

Chins do not need regular immunizations. They WILL need a vet though. Sometimes little things are going on with them that it's important for us to have checked out. If your chinchilla has irregular bowel movements, or stops eating, or starts pulling their fur out, or gets a watery eye, or losing weight, or bleeding or whatever...you'll need to get them looked at. I've been a "chin-parent" since June 2009...so less than a year...and have already been to the vet 3 times....and may be going again in the next few weeks! Chinchillas HIDE their illnesses so by the time WE NOTICE something looks off, it's probably already serious.

Kudos was researching and asking lots of questions BEFORE making the commitment! I wish more people would do that before getting ANY kind of pet!

Ladykelia

• Appreciation points: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 20, 2010, 12:47:25 AM »

Do they need regular vet visits? Immunizations? I have a local vet for my other pets that would accept them, but what is the likelyhood that they'll need vet attention?

Seconding Lindy that your chin would need a vet to visit once in awhile for all of those "just in case" moments. Just wondering though- does your local vet know anything about exotics? There are lots of vets out there who have never seen anything other than a cat or dog. While that might be adequate in a pinch if there is truly no other option, if you can find a vet who specialized in exotics it will be well worth your while. All small mammals have their unique special needs and you need a vet who knows the difference between a rabbit and chinchilla.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up