Chinchillas.org

Chinchilla Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: introducing new pets  (Read 1260 times)

er15ss

introducing new pets
« on: March 13, 2010, 08:14:32 AM »

I've had Nacho, my chin, for a year and a half now, we have our routines, we have our connection.  I also have a Leopard Gecko and a Robo hamster.  Not an issue since they really wouldn't see each other.

I'm closing on a house soon and when the time comes, I'd like to get a dog.  Now, if any aggression towards the chin occurs, one of them has to go (most likely the dog - I love my Nacho!).  But what have been other people's experiences when introducing another pet to an established chin?  I've read and seen some things showing dogs knowing to be gentle, but maybe the dog was there first and knows they're still loved?  I don't know dog psychology... or chinchilla psychology, but I don't think anyone does! ::think::

kneesaa

• Appreciation points: 3
    • View Profile
Re: introducing new pets
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2010, 08:55:19 AM »

Hi, Welcome to the forum ;)

I have never had any problems with our animals around the chinchillas. Even when my moms pom had puppy's they never bothered the chins. Our cats don't bother the chins. The last dog we got he just walked up to the cage sniffed at the chinchillas and left them alone. When you get a dog, you need to watch it when it's around the chins, never leave the room if the chin is running around and never let the dog in the same room when he's running around. We have been very fortunite that all our animals get along.  Good luck Shannon
Quyana Shannon Seager

jmdebb

• Appreciation points: 28
    • View Profile
    • Chinchilla Supplies
Re: introducing new pets
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2010, 12:50:12 PM »

hi and welcome..

congrats on your house closing!! is this your first house?

I also have cats,dogs ferrets.

okay i might not be the best to answer this because my caged animals have their own bedroom, then i have a gate up ,which my full grown dog and older cat respect.  but the kitten does get in there at times.. , and actually a few times i didn't close the gate and the older dog came in.

okay, now i would never let the other animals say in there, but while in there with me, no problems at all..  but i guess that all depends on the cat and dog.. like i also have puppy, and i'm sure he woudl stand there and bark because he would think they were a toy ya know..

but the chins aren't affected by the other animals.. they are used to the noise, and if a cat or dog does poke in after me, they don't react at all..
best of luck.

jean
Your One Stop Chin Shop
http://www.tjschinchillasupplies.com/chinchillafood.html
Huge variety, safe, affordable & brand names
:)
:)
Pages: [1]   Go Up