Chinchillas.org

Chinchilla Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Chin buddy  (Read 1547 times)

smokie

• Appreciation points: 0
    • View Profile
Chin buddy
« on: March 19, 2010, 01:08:14 PM »

Hi, I've got a 5/6mth female chinchilla that I got in mid jan and am now planning on getting her a female buddy.  I'm thinking of getting one from a breeder (aged 3 and half years) who has said she may/may not be pregnant.  Now I'd be happy to pay any necessary vets bills etc this may incur and as she's had babies before there's less likely to be probs.  However, although I'll have two cages i'd like to keep both chins together (after the intro period) and then, IF there is, the baby.  What's people's thoughts on this?  Is the new chin going to be a hormonal female that is going to give my much cherished chin a lot of trouble or given lots of time and careful observation this could work out?  The cage I have could easily occupy three.
I'd certainly appreciate advice on this.
ps in case you are thinking, duuuuh just get a baby/definitely non pregnant chin, the reason I'd still like to go ahead is I'd like the experience of raising of a baby although i wouldn't want to go down the breeding line generally (ie i wouldn't mate a pair deliberately).

Debbie.nl.ca

• Breeder
  • Appreciation points: 30
    • View Profile
    • Debbie's Newfoundland Chinchillas
Re: Chin buddy
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2010, 01:04:56 PM »

There is always the chance the 2 will not get along, though both should be fine with kits.
Then what if they don't get along and you get male kits?
You'll have to have 3 cages.
I wouldn't do a new intro until you were sure she wasn't pregnant, and if she is leave her to herself until kits are weaned.
A lot to think about. ::nod::
Debbie.nl.ca

smokie

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2010, 12:27:02 PM »

Hi!  I actually got a non pregnant (!) female adult in the end.  She is very timid but following the example of my current chinchilla, is now accepting treats through the bars.  I have high hopes of them being friends judging by the interest shown in each other and the sounds through the night!

Thanks for the feedback!

Debbie.nl.ca

• Breeder
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2010, 02:23:57 PM »

COOL !

Let us know how the introduction goes  ::nod::
Debbie.nl.ca

smokie

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2010, 11:53:35 AM »

i have to report that my two chinchillas absolutely LOVE each other!  even better, my new chinchilla has become very tame very quickly by following the example of the other chinchilla.  i believe the ultimate cute breakthrough was the new chinchilla refused treats through the bars (i kept offering she kept refusing) then one day (in a hurry) i gave my other chinchilla a treat, was rushing out the door, then heard the new chinchilla calling me.  she wanted a treat too! 
i've had her two weeks now and seriously doubt she'd ever been handled previously but last night i had the pair of them jumping around my bed and on me. 
interestingly, the other one has suddenly become a lot tamer too and hey both enjoy a 'scratch' on their chin :)

Debbie.nl.ca

• Breeder
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2010, 09:17:44 AM »

Excellent  ::dancingspot::

I just love when that happens. ::kiss99::
Debbie.nl.ca
Pages: [1]   Go Up