Chinchillas.org

Chinchilla Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: i need your opinion on this pls =[ its making me sad  (Read 1292 times)

BambiLove

• Appreciation points: 3
  • Why must chinchillas be so cute?
    • View Profile
i need your opinion on this pls =[ its making me sad
« on: March 24, 2010, 12:07:43 AM »

so i've been thinking, and i feel bad for keeping bambi in a cage =[ i mean...i wouldnt like to be kept in a cage for my whole life, i want my freedom. But as you know i can't let bambi out free, yes i do take him out to play around the house, but still...everyday in his life he does the same thing..eat, sleep, drink water, and run on wheel. I can't imagine me being like that, i would hate it so much. So now I'm feeling guilty for keeping him away from his freedom  :'( I love having him around, he makes me very happy but at the same time i also feel sad because of that. can someone tell me something positive about it so i dont feel bad anymore pleaseee...and 1 more thing that makes me sad is that i keep having nightmares about bambi dying  :'( before i go to sleep i always pray for him to be healthy and have a good life, but i dont know why i keep having those horrible nightmares =[
I wish one day every pet will have a good home and be happy~

cusunfireguy

• Appreciation points: 4
    • View Profile
Re: i need your opinion on this pls =[ its making me sad
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2010, 07:25:56 AM »

I went thru the same issues when I first got my chins.  It is best for them and you to be in a cage.  The best thing you can do is make sure they have lots of entertaining things to do in the cage.  Make sure the cage is a good size too.  I do things like hide "high value" treats around the cage for them to seek out and find.  The wheel is great to have.  Give them plenty of shelves to jump on.  I give mine small stuffed animals too that either don't have plastic eyes or the eyes have been removed.  Give plenty to chew on and they will be very happy.  If you think your chin is lonely, you could consider a cage mate.

As far as the dreams go, I did that too for about a year but eventually they subsided.  Don't feel bad, it's normal!

Much love to you!

Steven
Steven Mobley<br /><br />\"Free Schapelle Corby\"!

Debbie.nl.ca

• Breeder
  • Appreciation points: 30
    • View Profile
    • Debbie's Newfoundland Chinchillas
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2010, 01:04:26 PM »

The safest place for your pet is in the cage.
As you didn't get him in the wild that's all he knows, it's his safe haven. Even though he wants more time out, he really wants his cage too.
Yes many can throw quite the temper tanrum too.

So will kids and you wouldn't give them anything they wanted. ;)
If I got upset everytime they looked at me with that look they'd be so full of raisins and junk.
As long as he's getting play time, and has a cage adequate in size he's just fine.
And Safe ::nod::
Debbie.nl.ca

smokie

• Appreciation points: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2010, 08:59:54 AM »

There's definitely nothing wrong with keeping them in a cage... it's for safety but it's also their space!  When my chin wants out (round my room) I let her out and I always let her return to her cage of her own accord.  This works well and takes away any guilt about keeping her in one.  Every evening she's out for a few hours then she always go back into her cage (i leave the door open).  As I never go into her cage, I don't stick my hand/arm in there or anything, I think she likes to know it's her person-free space.  I imagine without it, she'd be very unhappy!

A big cage is a must though so that it's like hanging out in their 'mansion' for them, lots of food and water etc.  also, i've got these fleece-line tunnel beds that hang from the roof of the cage and she loves sleeping in this.  :)

Last thing, when she goes back into her cage I always give her a treat.  SHe likes to have that then go to sleep!

flynhawaiian

• Appreciation points: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2010, 06:09:31 PM »

I go through this same thing everyday of my life!  I've thought about making a HUGE CAGE for them, but we just don't have the space in our current location.  I actually set up a open refrigerator box about once a week and let them run around the box.  They love jumping off the walls and have a ton of fun.  We also set them loose in the bathtub (ensuring that it's completely dry before they are in there) and watch them run around like little kids.  They love playing outside for about 30 minutes then they are done and want back in their home!
Pages: [1]   Go Up