Chinchillas.org

Chinchilla Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Snacking & Bonding Advice  (Read 2032 times)

kyleroger

• Appreciation points: 0
    • View Profile
Snacking & Bonding Advice
« on: May 15, 2010, 05:50:02 PM »

First, a quick question about snacks. Is it okay if they eat a few slices or the core of an apple or is that too much? My boy will eat anything but the girl, not so much, so he would probably get the whole thing for himself.

My main question at the moment is regarding bonding. I have had them for 2 months now and they are still both pretty antisocial. The girl is a little shy but she's warmed up so that's not my main concern. The boy is still very hesitant to letting me holding him (I don't even try to anymore unless I have to) and even pet him. Is it a bad idea that I've stopped trying? Should I continue to hold him so he has no choice but to get used to it or should I still let him get used to me being around? Is this normal behavior for a chin to be so hesitant? Makes me think more and more that his previous owner abused him, but I have heard that they can be like this since they are not domesticated like dogs and cats.

chinclub

• Site Owner
  • Administrator
  • Appreciation points: 66
    • View Profile
    • Lowcountry Chinchillas
Re: Snacking & Bonding Advice
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2010, 05:58:54 AM »

No fresh apple. You shouldn't be giving any fresh fruits or veggies or nuts ever.  Treats should be dried fruits, oats, cherrios, rose hips, ect.

It is very normal for a chinchilla to not  like being held. Try holding your hand in the cage with a treat in your palm. Or fill your palm with dust bath.  Teach him good things happen when you open the cage not scary things.  That will go a long way to taming him.

Lowcountry Chinchillas

Walterboro, South Carolina

kyleroger

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2010, 01:31:44 PM »

WTF????! They seriously cannot eat apples or fruit at all??? I was reading a Chinchilla guide at the pet store and it said that they can eat apples. In the book I read they even had a photo of a chinchilla surrounded by fruits. That is ridiculous, those books should be pulled from stores. That is very unfortunate because I bet many pet owners do not seek out second opinions and just do as the book says.  ::tickedoff::

Thanks for the bonding advice though! That is exactly what I have been doing so I guess I will keep at it.

jmdebb

• Appreciation points: 28
    • View Profile
    • Chinchilla Supplies
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2010, 02:59:22 PM »

kl...

you will get different information about treats and other things no matter where you go..  i personally like learning from the long time owners cuz they have seen it, been threw it..etc.. where if you pick up a book, you do not know if that person REALLY knows what they are talking about, ,now i am not saying that all books are wrong.. just saying,,,

im gonna take it a step further, some people feed and say its okay to feed dried/dehydrated apples, bananas, etc..  personally i don't because of the sugar.. 

i use the items jamie suggested and maybe a few others... safe others.. and don't worry about your guy.. i'm sure he is fine..

you know for the first year of my chins life i had no clue.. NO RAISINS, NO DRIED FRUIT..NO THIS NO THAT.. and he's fine.. i just hope it doesn't take atoll in the long run..

j
Your One Stop Chin Shop
http://www.tjschinchillasupplies.com/chinchillafood.html
Huge variety, safe, affordable & brand names
:)

kyleroger

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2010, 03:59:42 PM »

you're right, I heard so many things from certain people that contradict what others have said. I'd think that if a book has been published, it should be a credible source (I guess in the perfect world). But breeders/long time owners actually have experience.

RollinEK

• Appreciation points: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2010, 03:30:43 PM »

anybody treat their chins with dried payapa or pineapple perhaps? ive seen it on several highly reccommended sites.
Chinny Ranch Rescue
ChinnyRanchRescue@gmail.com
Serving the OKlahoma City Area.

jmdebb

• View Profile
    • Chinchilla Supplies
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2010, 11:06:40 PM »

i do use papaya..its good for something.. i forget.. someone help me.........  ::scaredspeachless::  is it hairballs.. hmmm
Your One Stop Chin Shop

Blondy40

• Appreciation points: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2010, 08:02:28 AM »

Mine ONLY have dried fruits...papaya, banana, rosehips etc...On occasion, I do give them a baby carrot fresh out of the bag and they love it...I have never had any problems in two years...and I always pay attention to be sure that their "droppings" stay consistent and certainly never should they be runny. I tend to stick to what our pet stores have labeled chinchilla and my friends stock of goodies. Be careful not to over indulge in treats either. I mean, they are really a lot like a dog...will eat whatever you give them in the way of treats and can become overweight and then refuse to eat the pellets..the main staples in their diet. I swear that they are exactly like children....spoiling too much is BAD!   :::((( just like with raisins...they love em...would eat plenty if you let them but you shouldn't...

jmdebb

• View Profile
    • Chinchilla Supplies
« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2010, 03:25:26 PM »

oopss..

i meant dried papaya.. if i didnt leave a word or some words out, people woudl really start to worry about me..
Your One Stop Chin Shop

Debbie.nl.ca

• Breeder
  • Appreciation points: 30
    • View Profile
    • Debbie's Newfoundland Chinchillas
« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2010, 08:53:39 AM »

And yes dried pineapple is fine as well as mango. Banana chips, crasions, sunflower seeds, and I love feeding oatmeal to them right from my hand.
And on bonding all are different. I have one here now that I've for over 6 months and I still don't hold her unless I have too. But she has stopped barking at me and will now take treats from my hand.
We're getting there  ::nod::
Debbie.nl.ca
Pages: [1]   Go Up