Chinchillas.org

Chinchilla Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: HELP ON HOLDING!??!?!?!  (Read 3389 times)

SymoneSterr

• Appreciation points: 0
    • View Profile
HELP ON HOLDING!??!?!?!
« on: June 08, 2010, 08:18:09 PM »

Okay, so about 2 months ago I got Max :)

Now he is very use to me: lets me pet him, he eats out of my hand, sits on my lap, anything you can imagine lol.

BUT... I am having trouble trying to hold him. The last time I held him was 2 months ago when I first got him (the previous owner put him in my hands).
I haven't ever tried since then, because I didn't want to pressure him. But now since he is used to me I would love to try.

SO the question is... how do I pick him up "correctly": Some people say that you should pick them up by their tails, but I find that very cruel and it looks very uncomfortable.

Please help! I would greatly appreciate it.

jmdebb

• Appreciation points: 28
    • View Profile
    • Chinchilla Supplies
Re: HELP ON HOLDING!??!?!?!
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2010, 08:46:10 PM »

hi.. ya know i'm like you.. i feel its cruel.. but honestly i think its actually safer i will tell you why..

they have thin bones that can break easily.. there have been many times i went to pick someone up and the jumped or did this or that and i thought i was gonna break something on them.. if you pick them up by the base of their tail, and put your other hand other their tummy, they are safe from anything bad happening..it really isn't mean.. if they get used to it, they won't care.. really..

they are very hard to pick up, the will run and its not good to chase them.. you think you have him cornered and go in for the "pick up" and zooooom he flies by you... argggg....

j
Your One Stop Chin Shop
http://www.tjschinchillasupplies.com/chinchillafood.html
Huge variety, safe, affordable & brand names
:)

SymoneSterr

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2010, 08:51:02 PM »

Okay so when I grab him by the base of his tail... Do I like dangle him before I put my hand there?!?!?! oh my goodness I don't want to hurt him =/

hoperz

• Appreciation points: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2010, 11:42:39 AM »

I never hold my chin by his tail....
Hope :)

hoperz

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2010, 11:44:15 AM »

After i let my chin warm up to me, he just jumps into my hands.
But if he doesnt want to be held, there is no chance of changing his mind.
they are so fast! good luck though!!
Hope :)

SymoneSterr

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2010, 01:17:08 PM »

Grrrr.... WHAT DO I DO?!?!?!?!?!?!

heiwa

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2010, 04:21:32 PM »

I never hold my chin by his tail....

Me two, their tail is very weak and can be broken on the tip.

kelly1277

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2010, 05:01:43 PM »

I have heard you can hold them by the base of the tail as long as you are supporting their front end.. like hand under tummy or letting them stand in your hand.  As you can see everyone is different in their opinions. I dont pick up by the base of the tail because I can just open the cage up and scoop them out with both hands. Hopefully someone with more experience than I will comment and help clarify whats ok and whats not. I imagine it is alittle frustrating getting mixed answers.
"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind dont matter and those who matter dont mind"
Dr. Suess

Blondy40

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2010, 02:40:39 PM »

I think I would refrain from grabbing their tail...I mean I wouldn't pick up a cat by the nape of its neck either, yet that is what is natural. I am glad I can just pick mine up and hold them normally. I just make sure that I support their back feet....OH how I love these guys and girls! ::silly:: :D

Debbie.nl.ca

• Breeder
  • Appreciation points: 30
    • View Profile
    • Debbie's Newfoundland Chinchillas
« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2010, 06:12:02 AM »

It's not grabbing, it's the safest way to hold them. Right close to the rump, with 4 fingers around the tail and your thumb on the back.
They learn they are safe that way. They can't jump out of your arms, and all owners should be shown how to hold them when they purchase a new chinchilla.I use my right hand to hold the tail and my left goes under their hind feet.
When they are out for a run, yes I can catch them this way, but I am very used to it and so are they. Mine know that's what I will do.
If anyone comes in and wants to hold my chins I show them how.It makes them feel so much safer. ::nod::
Debbie.nl.ca

Blondy40

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2010, 07:46:08 AM »

My chins would not take to that kindly but if yours are used to it...than that is great. Like I said...to each his own...everyone is different so I guess it is an individual thing. as long as they are safe and happy..that is what matters! This forum is great because I can read what everyone does and see the differences. Very interesting! ::silly::

kelly1277

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 11, 2010, 10:23:29 AM »

@ debbie- Thanks the girl I got my chins from told me to hold them by their tail but didnt show me how so I never felt comfortable doing it not knowing the right way.
"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind dont matter and those who matter dont mind"
Dr. Suess

jmdebb

• Appreciation points: 28
    • View Profile
    • Chinchilla Supplies
« Reply #12 on: June 11, 2010, 04:44:43 PM »

thanks debbie. maybe i said it wrong. i'm not that great at explaining..

i think all breeders do it his way don't they, i know they do at shows. 

and when i grab a tail [not pull=-- but like debbie said your fingers round the part by the butt] right after i have a hold is when my other hand goes underneath the belly.

you may be able to train him to come onto your hands tho.. before i had so many animals, i had chinchin trained to walk out the cage door onto my arm all the way up and onto my shoulder.. it was soo cute.. won't so it now tho.. anyways, when i want to take them out of the cage, well they will just jump, but if want to hold them first for a second, what i do is put both hands around him, but not touch, give him a second to realize everything is okay, then he starts to walk on my hands and i pick him up.
Your One Stop Chin Shop
http://www.tjschinchillasupplies.com/chinchillafood.html
Huge variety, safe, affordable & brand names

heiwa

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 11, 2010, 04:51:22 PM »

jmdebb, for me, I also never hold them by the tail even at the butt.
My chins also jump on me by themselves and it's quite easy for me to handle them.
I think there is no objective way to hold a chin, once the way you feel is comfortable and your chins used to be, that's the best way!
Pages: [1]   Go Up