Chinchillas.org

Chinchilla Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: preggers?  (Read 994 times)

kyleroger

• Appreciation points: 0
    • View Profile
preggers?
« on: July 08, 2010, 08:47:13 PM »

So I think that I mentioned in a previous post that I may have a pregnant chinchilla on my hands. I rescued a male/female pair in early april. When I first got them I noticed that the male tried to mate with her for a few weeks but she wasn't having it. My first question would be 1) is this a sign that she is not in heat? and, could it just be that she doesn't want to mate with him? I never found a mating plug but maybe i overlooked it when cleaning their bedding because it was so small. I was also thinking that maybe their previous owner knew that they mated and that's why they were giving them up.

Well, over the last month she has gotten noticably larger. I haven't gotten a scale yet so I can't determine how much larger yet. She has also been starting to lay down or on her side which she has never done until recently. Her mood has changed, she doesn't like being handled as much as she doesn't want to play outside of her cage as often. I haven't noticed her teets and my estimate is that she is due anywhere from july 21 to august 21. Also, it seems like she has been making very random "warning calls" lately which she has never done, she is usually the docile, quiet one. Any knowledge of advice would be wonderful  :)

chinclub

• Site Owner
  • Administrator
  • Appreciation points: 66
    • View Profile
    • Lowcountry Chinchillas
Re: preggers?
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2010, 08:35:14 AM »

All of those changes together do sound like she is pregnant.  You need to be sure your cage is baby proof (no openings larger than 1 x 1/2 inch, no high ledges -one story cage is best)  You also need to think about what to do with Dad.  He can stay in the cage but mom will get pregnant again right away.  You could separate him but there is a chance he will stop eating out of depression.

Lowcountry Chinchillas

Walterboro, South Carolina

kyleroger

• Appreciation points: 0
    • View Profile
Re: preggers?
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2010, 01:20:17 PM »

Yep, I have a baby proofed cage that I am going to put her in by July 21st. I'm going to keep dad in the cage they are in now and hers will be right next to him. Is there still a chance they can become depressed? What are some signs of depression and what could I do to help while they are still separated? I am definitely separating them because I don't want them to back breed and he is rambunctious, I don't want there to be an accident with him and the kits if she is pregnant. Thanks for the advice!
Pages: [1]   Go Up