Chinchillas.org

Chinchilla Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Hey Guys Quick Question Need your opinions!  (Read 1818 times)

jamesd90

• Appreciation points: 1
    • View Profile
Hey Guys Quick Question Need your opinions!
« on: July 28, 2010, 08:22:37 PM »

Hey Gang!

I love chins but I am in a tough spot now I dont have any experience with breeding but the opprotunity to have a female mosaic and male ebony but I also have the opprounity to own two beautiful females too! I love chins and Id love to learn I just wanted to know what you guys think!

Courtney

• Appreciation points: 3
    • View Profile
Re: Hey Guys Quick Question Need your opinions!
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2010, 12:51:22 AM »

Well you have to decide if you want babies, what you are going to do with the babies, you need to research breeding, ect. Also things go wrong, they may need vet attention, they may need to be hand fed, just some things to think about before breeding. 
Six Chinchillas<br />Two Jack Russell Terriers<br />Two Parrots<br />Four Fish Tanks

jmdebb

• Appreciation points: 28
    • View Profile
    • Chinchilla Supplies
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2010, 09:09:40 AM »

hey james whats up,

i'm just curious, why do you have to breed them, why can't you just take them both and not breed them?

as for whether to breed or not, there are many reasons not to breed... first do you know if they have healthy backgrounds, if not, you might not want to breed and bring kits into the world that might not be healthy.  etc..

even if they are proven chins with great backgrounds, i would suggest not breeding [to anyone] unless you research, research, research, and when you think you know it all research more.  and also get a mentor.. why?  because people think, and i do include myself in that, its easy, what can go wrong.. well let me tell you, alot can go wrong. i did it.  i regret most of it, except for angel, and i shed many tears.  here are just a few questions if some things went wrong:

what do you feed a kit if mom dies?  do i really have to feed them every 2 hours around the clock, but i have to get up for work in the morning?  what if it's a breech birth?  how much should the female and male weigh and does it even matter what they weigh?  if you can't find a home for the kit, can you afford to keep another one, what if it doesn't get along with the others, can you afford a separ cage?

again, they are just a few questions, i'm sure theres tons more, but i' dont know them all since i only did it a few times.

good luck in your decision, i hope i have helped
Your One Stop Chin Shop
http://www.tjschinchillasupplies.com/chinchillafood.html
Huge variety, safe, affordable & brand names
:)
:)

Tiffany's Chinchillas

• Tiffany's Chinchillas
  • Global Moderator
  • # of Chins: 175+
    • View Profile
    • Tiffany's Chinchillas
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2010, 07:48:58 PM »

I love chins but I am in a tough spot now I dont have any experience with breeding but the opprotunity to have a female mosaic and male ebony but I also have the opprounity to own two beautiful females too! I love chins and Id love to learn I just wanted to know what you guys think!

Mickey, I hope you realize that you signed a contract with me stating that these "two beautiful females" were not to be bred, no exceptions. They are both pet quality and I did not give you their pedigrees for this reason. I just want to reiterate this before the thought crosses your mind. It scares me to read that you are possibly considering a breeding pair so early on, as this was posted before you even picked up the girls. You really need to spend the time learning the ins and outs of these animals as pets before thinking about breeding.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2010, 07:52:15 PM by threewingedfury »
Tiffany's Chinchillas
Breeding for Quality, not Quantity
www.tiffanyschinchillas.com

jamesd90

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2010, 08:57:53 PM »

Tiffany that was during when I didnt think you were going to give up Rita.... once you decided I let the male and female go... I lost all intrest when they told me how complicated it was.... not for me I just want pets...

anyway the girls are doing lovely :) thanks so much!

jamesd90

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2010, 09:05:42 PM »

Also..

The Four Chins I was refering too were not yours it was a gentlemen that lives in Norfolk VA he just have 6 kits.. 2 females and he was talking about selling the mated pair... Like I said I didnt know If you even wanted to give your two up anymore at the time I had moved on...

Sorry for the confusing Tiff Tiff

Tiffany's Chinchillas

• Tiffany's Chinchillas
  • Global Moderator
  • # of Chins: 175+
    • View Profile
    • Tiffany's Chinchillas
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2010, 09:12:59 PM »

Ok, that's good to hear. Glad they're doing well.
Tiffany's Chinchillas
Breeding for Quality, not Quantity
www.tiffanyschinchillas.com
Pages: [1]   Go Up