Chinchillas.org

Chinchilla Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Soon to be Chinchilla owner for the first time!  (Read 8835 times)

chinchillin527

• Appreciation points: 0
    • View Profile
Soon to be Chinchilla owner for the first time!
« on: September 05, 2010, 01:06:12 PM »

Hi everyone,

I've been researching on chinchillas for a really long time now and i've come to the point of no return, i must home a chinchilla. :::grins:: I really need help on the best kind of cage to get him ( he is 7 1/2 weeks old) and wheres the best place to get it from. I would greatly appreciate tips about the basic care of chinchillas and anything special or delicate i should know. Thank you!

left027

• Appreciation points: 1
    • View Profile
Re: Soon to be Chinchilla owner for the first time!
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2010, 07:15:42 PM »

There are a few cages I would definitely endorse.

http://www.martinscages.com/products/cages/chinchilla/    (if you get one of these you really should replace all of the wire floors with wood)

http://qualitycage.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=612

I actually made my own cage.  It took forever, but I was able to make a 36" x 36" x 18" cage and a 12" x 12" x 24" cage (for a smaller just in case cage) with metal trays from Bass Equipment for about $150 including the wire, trays, and wood.  It's a lot less exhausting to buy a pre-fab one though.  :)

I have two chins and they fit just fine in my cage.  I also heard something about how a really big cage can be intimidating for the little guys at first.

For general care, this is what I do. (Keep in mind this is for two little chin boys)
-Two glass water bottles in the cage and two back up bottles.  When one empties I fill a clean one and replace the empty bottle.  I run the bottles under hot water on most days and then dishwasher two at a time every week. (So two will be washed this week and the others the next).

-I have two food dishes.  I put three spoonfuls of Mazuri pellets in each dish every day.  On Fridays I put a spoonful of grain supplement in addition to their food.

-I have two hay containers.  I fill them up every 2-3 days.  I clean up any hay they've scattered on those days as well.  I use Oxbow Western Timothy.  I read somewhere that if you use an alfalfa based pellet you should use a timothy based hay.  And vice versa.  I haven't really seen too many good timothy based pellets though.

-I have three wood hanging toys with bells on them.  They like them.

-My dad built them a pretty epic wooden house.  It's connected with dowel rods and consumable/non-toxic wood glue.

-I don't use wood shavings or anything like that.  I've made two fleece/quilt beddings.  They're basically fleece/3 layers of quilt/fleece.  It's great.  I switch out the blankets (pee pads) every two weeks and wash them in my washer machine.  It works really well.

-I give them dust bathes twice a week.  Usually Tuesday and Saturday.

-I give them an hour every night of play time.  I use a white fence thing I bought at petsmart.  It's about two feet high.  Works really well I just connect it to my walls with plastic hooks and then let them out of their cage. (I also have wooden boards around the base boards on my walls so they can't chew on the base boards and ruin my apartment deposit). During their play time I switch out their food, water, hay, give them a bath, clean, ect.

-I clean the shelves and the surface of the pee pad with a little hand held dirt devil.  The boys don't like that much, but it's not too loud and gets the job done quickly.  

-I have several cardboard tubes for them to run through and chew on.

-At the end of the play session every now and then I give them new toys like wooden blocks to chew on and other little things to chew on.  I also occasionally give them treats like rose hips, raisins, and apple sticks.  I give them each one treat every few days.  Depends on how cute they've been ;)

I think that's the majority of the info about what I do.

Just don't sit on them and you should be fine lol.  Hope this helps.

chinchillin527

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2010, 09:25:53 PM »

That has definitely helped me so much you have no idea! :::grins:: What do they like better, hammocks or igloos? And im getting a male 7 1/2 weeks old, definitely adorable! ;)

left027

• Appreciation points: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2010, 11:59:34 AM »

I don't have any plastic in their cages.  From reading, I've found that most chins chew on plastic and I'm pretty certain mine would if given a chance.  I have several places in their cage for them to sleep.  The wooden box house (inspired by Simply Chintastic), a hammock, and then the fleece bedding is one of their favorite places to snooze.

chinchillin527

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2010, 04:23:58 PM »

Yeah definitely! I just got him today:) Still trying to figure out a name for him. Im pretty nervous picking him up lol hes 7 1/2 weeks old. He has a little cave/hut thing and then a comfy hammock. What type of bedding would be the best? Because i bought pine bedding and i laid it ontop of towels, and it seems like hes chewing/nibbling on the bigger chunks of it.

jmdebb

• Appreciation points: 28
    • View Profile
    • Chinchilla Supplies
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2010, 06:47:45 PM »

I don't have any plastic in their cages.  From reading, I've found that most chins chew on plastic and I'm pretty certain mine would if given a chance.  I have several places in their cage for them to sleep.  The wooden box house (inspired by Simply Chintastic), a hammock, and then the fleece bedding is one of their favorite places to snooze.

they all like something different.. you kind of just have to try it and see.. and of course that could love them all!!! 

i have fleece, little houses will come soon, at a cheap price too, so check back maybe in a few months if you still need one of those. 

as for plastic, it can bind them and then they can end up dying so anythign plastic, you should stay away from.

j
Your One Stop Chin Shop
http://www.tjschinchillasupplies.com/chinchillafood.html
Huge variety, safe, affordable & brand names
:)
:)

1newChinmom1

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2010, 02:26:08 PM »

Yeah definitely! I just got him today:) Still trying to figure out a name for him. Im pretty nervous picking him up lol hes 7 1/2 weeks old. He has a little cave/hut thing and then a comfy hammock. What type of bedding would be the best? Because i bought pine bedding and i laid it ontop of towels, and it seems like hes chewing/nibbling on the bigger chunks of it.
They nibble on their bedding, no harm done. Congratualtions on the new babe! Ours need lots of stimulation, cardboard rolls, boxes, wooden and lavastone chewies. ::silly::  It is great you got yours so young, he will bond to you and be just the best! Congratulations again. ;)

chinchillin527

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2010, 09:42:22 PM »

They nibble on their bedding, no harm done. Congratualtions on the new babe! Ours need lots of stimulation, cardboard rolls, boxes, wooden and lavastone chewies. ::silly::  It is great you got yours so young, he will bond to you and be just the best! Congratulations again. ;)

Ohh okay thank goodness lol. THanks!! I'm super excited! Since hes only two months old i dont know what to give him to chew on, hes been anxious to chew on something. What can i give him to chew on thats age appropriate? I've been taking him to play in my bathroom and now he is climbing all over me. BUt, as soon as i put him in his cage again, once in a while he'll start scratching at the cage and chewing on the cage to let him out again. Is this really  bad? I felt bad for him so i took him out again, and once i was done playing this time he went back in his cage and he was fine. How long will it be till he bonds with me? And how will i know it? By the way his name is Chinchi  :::grins::

BambiLove

• Appreciation points: 3
  • Why must chinchillas be so cute?
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2010, 11:50:38 PM »

congratz on your chinchilla!  :::grins:: And about him scratching and chewing on the cage, it's not bad. He just want to play more. My boy always do that and he would give me his cute chinchilla sad face with both ears down to make me feel bad, i even start a topic asking about it, but he's alright. From my personal experience, my chinchilla took about 3 months to bond with me, and i know it because he stopped biting my finger so hard that i bleed for serveral times hehe and he let me pet him. Your chinchilla is much younger so i think it will take less time for him to bond with you.
I wish one day every pet will have a good home and be happy~

chinchillin527

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2010, 07:55:08 AM »

congratz on your chinchilla!  :::grins:: And about him scratching and chewing on the cage, it's not bad. He just want to play more. My boy always do that and he would give me his cute chinchilla sad face with both ears down to make me feel bad, i even start a topic asking about it, but he's alright. From my personal experience, my chinchilla took about 3 months to bond with me, and i know it because he stopped biting my finger so hard that i bleed for serveral times hehe and he let me pet him. Your chinchilla is much younger so i think it will take less time for him to bond with you.

Thank you! :) and okay good i was worried he was stressed or something worse. He kept me awake all of last night because he wanted to come out and play (mind you this was from 2am-5am). Since hes a baby im hoping he will bond with me faster and that he'll get used to me faster. Im in the process of buying him a new cage, because the cage hes in now its not too big enough for him to go crazy.  ::nod::

1newChinmom1

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2010, 12:24:52 PM »

Thank you! :) and okay good i was worried he was stressed or something worse. He kept me awake all of last night because he wanted to come out and play (mind you this was from 2am-5am). Since hes a baby im hoping he will bond with me faster and that he'll get used to me faster. Im in the process of buying him a new cage, because the cage hes in now its not too big enough for him to go crazy.  ::nod::
Yeah, they can get kind of bossy if spoiled (like ours,lol). Being nocturnal, we had to compromise and set playdates in the morning at 9:00 AM (lap time) and evening 10:00 PM (run around the bathroom like an insane thing time). This helped lower the demands for playtime at 3 in the morning,lol.
Our little Sir has chewed on the apple sticks, lava stone chewies, and willow baskets we find at the pet store from day one. He also loves the bits of UNTREATED,KILN DRIED (did I say untreated?) pine wood bits from the local hardware stores trimming bench. I can buy a small piece of wood and they will cut it into blocks for me, then I sand away the splinters. Both he and his Mum love to redecorate with them. They also like the pet grade basket nests at the pet store. It takes about three weeks to totally destroy one,lol. Your babies are chewers, that's how it is. Oh, I also find willow baskets at the local craft store. If you buy s\chewing toys at a craft store - make sure they are made out of a safe matierial, pine, willow, cherry, etc. Never cedar.

chinchillin527

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 11, 2010, 06:30:56 PM »

Yeah, they can get kind of bossy if spoiled (like ours,lol). Being nocturnal, we had to compromise and set playdates in the morning at 9:00 AM (lap time) and evening 10:00 PM (run around the bathroom like an insane thing time). This helped lower the demands for playtime at 3 in the morning,lol.
Our little Sir has chewed on the apple sticks, lava stone chewies, and willow baskets we find at the pet store from day one. He also loves the bits of UNTREATED,KILN DRIED (did I say untreated?) pine wood bits from the local hardware stores trimming bench. I can buy a small piece of wood and they will cut it into blocks for me, then I sand away the splinters. Both he and his Mum love to redecorate with them. They also like the pet grade basket nests at the pet store. It takes about three weeks to totally destroy one,lol. Your babies are chewers, that's how it is. Oh, I also find willow baskets at the local craft store. If you buy s\chewing toys at a craft store - make sure they are made out of a safe matierial, pine, willow, cherry, etc. Never cedar.

Yeah in the morning he doesnt really move much but at night, he just has random times he wants to play lol. Im working on a schedule with him so he can finally adjust better. I have to say we've been bonding pretty well ,considering he lets me hold him on my chest and kiss his head and scratch the top of his head ;) so cute! And i bought him the little blocks and hes been taking them pretty well!

1newChinmom1

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 12, 2010, 01:28:06 PM »

Yeah in the morning he doesnt really move much but at night, he just has random times he wants to play lol. Im working on a schedule with him so he can finally adjust better. I have to say we've been bonding pretty well ,considering he lets me hold him on my chest and kiss his head and scratch the top of his head ;) so cute! And i bought him the little blocks and hes been taking them pretty well!
I am so very glad it is working out. Ours are a bit slower, and not really loooking for runniing time, in the morning too. That is why we do lap time then. They seem snugglier and more tolerant of our love in the A.M. ::nod::

chinchillin527

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 12, 2010, 03:36:25 PM »

So last night Chinchi was so anxious to get out and as i took him out, he kinda bit/nibbled my hand. Mind you he hasnt really done that to me before so could it be really bad?

Gallardo_Puff

• Proud Mummy
  • Appreciation points: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 12, 2010, 04:15:18 PM »

I just got my very first chinchilla not to long ago.
How do you like him?
I can honestly say I love my little Gallardo to death!
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up