Chinchillas.org

Chinchilla Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: figuring temperature  (Read 5179 times)

1newChinmom1

• Appreciation points: 0
    • View Profile
figuring temperature
« on: September 11, 2010, 05:02:59 PM »

I was given a formula for figuring the temperature which went something like:
Actual temperature + humidity divided by ? = the temperature our chinbabies are actually experiencing in their plush fur coats.
I need the ? number so I can decide when it is safe to open the windows and turn off the air conditioning. We are having nights in the sixties and with the air on, the house has been getting mighty chilly,lol. ::)
Thanks for the help. ;)
P.S. Yes, thanks to our hermit crabs, we have a humidity gauge.

The more I learn, the more I realize how little I know  ;D

ABC Chinchillas

• Global Moderator
  • Appreciation points: 27
    • View Profile
    • ABC Chinchillas
Re: figuring temperature
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2010, 09:14:15 PM »

The formula is innaccurate. If it is over 75 it is to hot humidity just makes a hot situation worse. too many people think hotter temos are ok with low humidity that is just innacurate
Elaine McFee and Kristy Morici
starleomach@comcast.net
ABC Chinchillas
abcchinchillas.com

jmdebb

• Appreciation points: 28
    • View Profile
    • Chinchilla Supplies
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2010, 09:38:07 PM »

sixties are okay for your windows to be open, as long as they are not in front of it catching a breeze because that can cause illness.

i have seen some people say down to 55 and some people say down to 65 for i can't say what the best low temp is,  but always for the five years i have own, everyone always agreed on do not go over 75, personally i wouldn't even get close to 75, i like to play it safe.   as for humidity, i mean, i do not know what the formula is, but i think you can just tell if its too humid and they need the air on. 
Your One Stop Chin Shop
http://www.tjschinchillasupplies.com/chinchillafood.html
Huge variety, safe, affordable & brand names
:)

1newChinmom1

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2010, 01:17:28 PM »

The formula is innaccurate. If it is over 75 it is to hot humidity just makes a hot situation worse. too many people think hotter temos are ok with low humidity that is just innacurate
Actually,the formula is incomplete.  :D That is why I was asking. I never let their room get above 68 degrees. My vet had told me that even with lower temperatures, high humidity can cause problems with our chinbabies.  ::) So I was trying to get the ? number - to do the math. No doubt the humidity DOES affect our furrybottoms, so I am trying to decide when the dehumdifier is neccessary for them - even with lower temperatures. We live in a coastal town, terrible humidity. ::scaredspeachless::

The more I learn, the mroe I realize how little I know. ???

jmdebb

• View Profile
    • Chinchilla Supplies
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2010, 07:36:43 PM »

i dont know the formula either, but i would think no matter the temp if the humidity is that high, then having the air on or a dehumidifyer on would work great....[ problem is sometimes when i think i get into trouble  lol]
Your One Stop Chin Shop

ABC Chinchillas

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • ABC Chinchillas
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2010, 09:34:03 PM »

I do know the formula and know that it is innacurate. which is why I am not going to continue the myth it makes too many people think situations that are not safe are safe
starleomach@comcast.net
ABC Chinchillas
abcchinchillas.com

1newChinmom1

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2010, 10:32:44 AM »

i dont know the formula either, but i would think no matter the temp if the humidity is that high, then having the air on or a dehumidifyer on would work great....[ problem is sometimes when i think i get into trouble  lol]
Yeah, I have a feeling the dehumidifier is a permanent fixture in our place,lol. ::)

1newChinmom1

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2010, 10:55:40 AM »

I do know the formula and know that it is innacurate. which is why I am not going to continue the myth it makes too many people think situations that are not safe are safe
I think we must have had a different formula  :-\ - because no matter what the temperature, or humidity, the figure always came out higher than the original temperature number. The whole purpose was to decide how much LOWER the temp needed to be, with high humidity, not how much HIGHER the chin could stand with lower humidity. Not sure how that could be unsafe.
I still would like that missing X.............

The more I learn, the more I realize how little I know ???

left027

• Appreciation points: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2010, 04:48:21 PM »

I saw an equation once that went like this:

Temperature + Humidity = Heat

If Heat is greater than 100 then you need to adjust the temperature.  Also if it's less than 75 you need to adjust the temperature.

ABC Chinchillas

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • ABC Chinchillas
« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2010, 05:05:49 PM »

That equation is very very wrong. if I have temp of 80 and humitiy of 15 it is under 100..the chinchilla will still die...It gives people a false sense of security. If the temps are over 72 it is too hot. if you are maintiaing tempurature in the house AC takes out humidity so problem solved. I keep my room st at 65
starleomach@comcast.net
ABC Chinchillas
abcchinchillas.com

jmdebb

• View Profile
    • Chinchilla Supplies
« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2010, 05:48:59 PM »

oh the hots days here, and we had many this summer--actually tons of humidity.. i just left their air conditioner on and had it set for 68.  made sure it wasn't blowing on anyone and the door was closed alot so the room would stay cool. 

jean
Your One Stop Chin Shop

1newChinmom1

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 20, 2010, 08:43:25 PM »

That equation is very very wrong. if I have temp of 80 and humitiy of 15 it is under 100..the chinchilla will still die...It gives people a false sense of security. If the temps are over 72 it is too hot. if you are maintiaing tempurature in the house AC takes out humidity so problem solved. I keep my room st at 65
I don't know about you, but if I have a temperature of 80 - I am buying a new air conditioner immediately  ::) ! Since 80 is too hot already, adding any number for humidity would still leave you with an unsafe situation  ::scaredspeachless:: . However, if it is 68 degrees, and the humidity is , say, 45% - you might still have a problem...and boy some days 45% would be a nice dry spell here  ::) . So, I am trying to find this equation to ascertain how much humidity is safe, with the appropriate lower temperature, and when I need to be extra careful about keeping the dehumidifier on and the doors shut tight  ;)

The more I learn, the more I realize how little I know  ::confused::

ABC Chinchillas

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • ABC Chinchillas
« Reply #12 on: September 20, 2010, 09:27:03 PM »

I didn't mean I personally ever have it over 80 I was trying to make a point. I have never had to use a dehumidifier ever. An air conditioner is fine. All I am saying is you have people who can't seem to use common sense and the various formulas (and there are several) give people an excuse to not have an AC and then they have a dead or dying chinchilla.

I can't tell you how many emails and phone calls I have recieved when chinchillas over heated and if I had a nickle for every time I heard someone say ...well I knew I shouldve had the air on but thought with a nice breeze they would be fine...or ....it was only 75 and not humid.....

As a chinchilla breedeer and being on many forums you would be amazed what I have seen in posts and even more amazed by the phone calls and emails I get.
starleomach@comcast.net
ABC Chinchillas
abcchinchillas.com

1newChinmom1

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 21, 2010, 05:37:21 AM »

;) Gotcha! Believe me! After the first two weeks of "holy C***P" I would NEVER try to save a few pennies at the cost of one or both of our little ones :chin: That is why I am concerned to make sure - even with the cooler temperatures that the humidity doesn't overwhelm them - as I am told humidity is also very important. It's kind of funny, we have a humidifiy-ing situation in our hermit crab tank - and at the other end of the suite we have a de-humidifiy-ing situation. The air must be so confused in there :2funny:

The more I learn, the more I realize how little I know  ???

jmdebb

• View Profile
    • Chinchilla Supplies
« Reply #14 on: September 21, 2010, 05:37:48 PM »

I didn't mean I personally ever have it over 80 I was trying to make a point. I have never had to use a dehumidifier ever. An air conditioner is fine. All I am saying is you have people who can't seem to use common sense and the various formulas (and there are several) give people an excuse to not have an AC and then they have a dead or dying chinchilla.

I can't tell you how many emails and phone calls I have recieved when chinchillas over heated and if I had a nickle for every time I heard someone say ...well I knew I shouldve had the air on but thought with a nice breeze they would be fine...or ....it was only 75 and not humid.....

As a chinchilla breedeer and being on many forums you would be amazed what I have seen in posts and even more amazed by the phone calls and emails I get.

ya know, maybe its just my way of thinking, but why would people even want to go with a formula... for the most part people say the lowest should be either 65 / 60 depending on who you ask,, but everyone agrees on the high:  72... is too high!!!

so like you said, isn't this just a common sense thing, and this is not meant towards any one in particular, just after reading what star wrote about all these people that had their chins overheat... i mean its not hard to say, okay the weatherman said high 90 with major humidty...   
Your One Stop Chin Shop
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up