Chinchillas.org

Chinchilla Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: New To-Be Owner  (Read 1792 times)

ylrebmik

• Appreciation points: 0
    • View Profile
New To-Be Owner
« on: October 20, 2011, 01:08:24 PM »

Hello!

I'm new to the chinchilla world, and although I've been researching for weeks, I still have some lingering questions. We were in the process of choosing our chinchillas and came across a difference of opinion. We're getting two chins... and one person told me females are hard to bond together. And the other breeder told me males were harder to bond to eachother. Which is true?

jmdebb

• Appreciation points: 28
    • View Profile
    • Chinchilla Supplies
Re: New To-Be Owner
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2011, 01:50:17 PM »

there's always a possibility they wont get along, and you may need two cages... but just a possibility..
Your One Stop Chin Shop
http://www.tjschinchillasupplies.com/chinchillafood.html
Huge variety, safe, affordable & brand names
:)
:)

dianah

• Appreciation points: 22
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2011, 11:27:57 AM »

i think with any pairing (two males, two females, male and female), you have the same problem. they may get on, they may not. they may get on quicker, sometimes it takes time. chinchi and fluffy took two months to bond and until the last week it looked like they would never get on, they wanted to kill each other every time they saw each other. just last week, i managed to get my rescue girl live with one of my boys (he's neutered) - we started the introductions in april. apparently, two adults are harder to bond than an adult and a kit.
however, i'm wondering, if you don't have chins yet but are getting two, why not get two girls or two boys from the same litter? they will already be housed together and get on, there's always a chance they will have a change of heart sometime later as that apparently happens but that can obviously happen to any pair. i think this would be the best solution for you.

ylrebmik

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2011, 02:12:57 PM »

I would really like to get from the same litter, actually. But the problem is my boyfriend, whom I live with. He really wants an ebony or black-velvet. We found an ebony male and a standard male from the same litter (or at least have been living together) at a pet store. The other black-velvet is female from a breeder, but the rest from the litter have been adopted, so I would get another one of his that is from a differnet litter but the same age. I'm very nervous about the females spraying... so I'm stuck on what to do..

dianah

• Appreciation points: 22
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2011, 02:34:49 PM »

ah i see! they would look fab together, i can see his point! :) i replied re spraying on the other thread.

ylrebmik

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2011, 03:15:46 PM »

I've decided to get my two girls... :)

I'm looking around at carriers, and I'm having trouble finding one appropriate for chinchillas. Any suggestions?

AnnieHank

• Appreciation points: 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2011, 03:55:37 AM »

I use a cat carrier. I know plastic isn't great but if it's just for transport, they'll only be in it a short while. I put in some applewood twigs that are more fun to chew than the plastic so the plastic stays relatively unchewed, even though one of my girls is the biggest chewer of everything!
Pages: [1]   Go Up