Chinchillas.org

Chinchilla Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Chinchillas Foot Has Blood On It  (Read 9504 times)

gasaraki03

• Appreciation points: 6
  • # of Chins: 2
    • View Profile
Chinchillas Foot Has Blood On It
« on: September 20, 2012, 11:25:31 PM »

While I had them in the bathroom noticed one of my chinchillas has a bloody foot. I just cleaned there cage before hand and didn't notice anything. I checked my new litter box and see nothing now  that could cut it. Do have one of those edible hut's which they walk on and some inside parts aren't smooth but not of i see also is red itself. Is there anything i need to do about it when i saw it looked already dried. Just got them a week ago so maybe just not use to cage and new items and hurt self while jumping around. Haven't seen then seriously fight of i know of. While running around in bathroom he didn't seem any different he was still jumping around on my shoulder, sink and all just like his brother. He isnt limping looks all the same other then the red on his foot. These my first chinchillas so know wouldnt be able to look closely at the foot easily, trying to lift upside down etc but can if think i should. Was able to take a somewhat good picture. Any advice be appreciated thanks =). Also all the levels are flat for them to sit.

http://imageshack.us/a/img507/7873/004gm.jpg
« Last Edit: September 21, 2012, 10:40:38 AM by gasaraki03 »

GrayRodent

• Chinchilla Club and CBO Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Appreciation points: 153
    • View Profile
    • Chris Hamilton
Re: Chinchillas Foot Has Blood On It
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2012, 06:53:21 AM »

I know that small foot injuries can bleed a lot on a chinchilla making it hard to find where the blood is coming from. The picture is nice and in focus but the cage bar makes it hard to read. Am I seeing a wound right above the nail on the third toe (the first toe being the one closest to the body)?

The big question is does it look like an injury that can heal on its own or is there skin peeled back that might need to be debrided and closed? Another thing to look for is signs of infection. If you see swelling around the cut then you should try to get it to the vet to get antibiotics and prevent bumblefoot which can be fatal if untreated. (Remember that with oral antibiotics it is possible you must hand feed your chin if it goes off its food). If it's on the pad of the foot then it might not be a cut but dry skin or callous that has cracked or peeled in which case you'll need to figure out a better setup in the cage to promote healing.

If some of the parts in the cage could have caused this you may be able to file the edges off. If you don't have a file an emery board might work.

I'm a programmer not a chinchilla breeder. I learn by asking questions just like you.

gasaraki03

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2012, 01:51:35 PM »

Was able to see under his foot while he was sleeping, and the cut or whatever is on the top of his foot. Of i can tell it isn't swollen but will keep an eye on it. As for skin peeled back i cant really tell. Ill check there cage and file anything down what would be able to possible cut them.

Some more pics
http://imageshack.us/a/img717/6808/006ldd.jpg
http://imageshack.us/a/img4/5840/005trs.jpg

GrayRodent

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Chris Hamilton
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2012, 05:09:54 PM »

I would advise you see a vet for this one. There is a possibility there could be a bone fracture because there seems to be some displacement when you compare it to the other foot. Either that or there is significant swelling. This in itself is dangerous to the tissues at the end of the toe. The skin seems to be scraped off along with the fur which could mean it was caught or pinched in something. Your chin may need anti-inflamatory and antibiotic meds. Make sure he does not go off his food or water which is common with pain and compounded with antibiotics. Chinchillas do not show pain easily.
I'm a programmer not a chinchilla breeder. I learn by asking questions just like you.

gasaraki03

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2012, 08:39:17 PM »

Yea i see what you mean. Might see about coming in later for work if a slot if available at the vet tomorrow morning. Other wise have to wait till Monday afternoon till can take him in.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2012, 08:41:07 PM by gasaraki03 »

GrayRodent

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Chris Hamilton
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2012, 06:27:21 AM »

As far as wounds go it seems fairly clean looking at the photo. I would advise to avoid dust baths for a few days and clean the cage every day to minimize infection risk. These kinds of wounds can take a few weeks to heal up.

gasaraki03

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2012, 08:30:13 AM »

Was about to give dust bath last night because haven't in a while then was like that probably wont be good for the wound. Im set up to take him in on Tuesday so were see. Ill keep an eye on him make sure he still eating and drinking or ill take him to the ER. They were both eating last night, which makes harder to monitor having 2 chinchillas in 1 cage. I barely see them drinking water which be a pain.

gasaraki03

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2012, 11:32:14 PM »

Ended up taking him to the ER since couldn't get to vet until Tuesday. His wound was looking worse with possible pus and he kept biting licking it etc. So took him in, they originally wanted to clean it give antibiotic and pain killer. But after put back into his travel cage he bite his wound and started bleeding again. So they wrapped it and of course chinchillas aren't to fond a bandages so they put a flexible cone around him. Poor chinchilla got back to cage drugged with bandage and cone almost fell out instantly was able to catch him. I have to go back in few days to get re-evaluated and possible amputate his toe. Luckily chinchillas do pretty well with a missing toe. Now had to give him 2 medicines through mouth 2 a day one 7 days and other 14 days. He realized he liked it after squirted most not in mouth but were both shall learn. He will have to adapt was able to take cone off for little and he instantly ate some hay. But didn't last long till he went for his bandage so might try to hand feed him some wish didn't work next few days. Only had a week and already had to take one to vet wish expenses were spread out a little. Worst part he so helpless and sad to watch especially when first brought him home, fixed cage up so nothing to run into etc and other chin is on bottom half so cant mess with him. They use there hands to eat which he cant do with cone.

Will update if anyone curious when re visit

Cyrusandme

• Appreciation points: 0
  • # of Chins: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2012, 07:34:37 PM »

How is your chin doing?

gasaraki03

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2012, 12:01:19 PM »

Hes doing alot better. He didnt need the cone so that was good so he can freely eat and run around. I let them be together in same cage a few days ago has been no problems since at first was humping for domince but they have stopped that so all back to normal. He did have have his toe ambutated, when they took off his bandage looked so much worse so was for the better he can heal faster this way. Before every time he brushed agaist it hurt him, his end of toe was held on by couple nerves and most likely infected. But he is jumping back to how he use to be. He still stressed though and poop isnt normal but in time hope he is completly back to normal. Thursday hes getting the bandage removed or redone hopefully be removed and be done for stress and money. Other than the wound he is completly normal he weighs 360g. His brother is so warmed up to me now always wants out to play hopefully Appa  becomes as friendly as his brother too but know will need time with all hes going through.

gasaraki03

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 09, 2012, 10:36:25 PM »

Update to never ending story
When went back to vent 9 days after having the toe amputated to have bandage removed or changed. They noticed the infection has still spread up his leg and got the other 2 toes and the antibiotic isn't working he also had swelling from the bandage being too tight. They kept him the night and then he went into surgery the next day to have part of his leg amputated and then kept him that night to watch him. They put him on a different antibiotic since first one obviously wasn't working. The new one isn't safe for humans so gotta wear gloves, he also has a different pain killer to help him though.

When brought him home he originally kept trying to chew on his bandage and know they had to put cone on him at vet for little, luckly after the first day he calmed down and left it completely off. Also noticed he wasn't eating any pellets but kinda would eat hay and gave him raisen which he ate. Remeber seeing that they gave him Oxbow pellets while he was a vet, which i've heard nothing but good things of and was gonna switch too but just opened new bag of this new stuff. Thought id try to buy new Oxbow pellets from store and see if he'll eat it and he did, he had taste of the good stuff and wanted nothing but it. Just gotta try to get his brother to finish the other bag first if can.

Brought him back to the vet 3 days later they didnt wanna wait too long again for bandage change or remove. Which was fine since was a free visit but when took off the bandage still wasn't doing that great the infection is still spread up his leg and more nerves are dieing looks black at bottom. They cleaned it out but there suggestion was to leave him here for 3 days or bring him in daily for daily cleaning and bandage change. So am planning to leave him there for 3 days and should have answer on friday if not before of the status. They are also gonna put him in surgery again to insert some sort of antibiotic beads into his leg which will probably happen tomorrow. If daily cleaning and these beads don't work over the next few days with his antibiotic they most likely will have to cut up higher on his leg this time really high to make sure they get it all.

Heres some cute pictures to lighten the mode

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Momo Fav. Pic

Appa With some of his casts

Cyrusandme

• Appreciation points: 0
  • # of Chins: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 10, 2012, 05:23:47 AM »

Wow, I am so sorry you and your chin have to go through all that.  I hope he heals up soon and things start getting better for both of you.  It sounds like you are doing a great job.
Did the vet mention syringe feeding if he is not eating?  I had to do that for awhile when my chin was on Baytril, it upset his stomach and he stopped eating.  I fed him to keep his system going and we changed the antibiotic so he was ok from then on.  But maybe your needs some supplemental feedings to help him along.
Your pictures are adorable.
Keep up the good work and let us know how he does.

GrayRodent

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Chris Hamilton
« Reply #12 on: October 10, 2012, 07:04:15 AM »

How is the cagemate doing?

gasaraki03

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 10, 2012, 12:47:52 PM »

Hes been eating fine after started giving him the oxbow at home. Hes at the vet now which they use oxbow so he should be fine and if not i'm sure they can syringe feed him at least i hope they'd notice. But i haven't had to yet.

His cage mate is fine he hasn't acted any different. Lately hes been alone either his brother gone and separated above him. I think at first i just got worried when he was just tired and wanted to sleep more.

GrayRodent

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Chris Hamilton
« Reply #14 on: October 10, 2012, 01:00:26 PM »

That sounds like you have some good news there. Syringe feeding is not that difficult. They'll be able to detect anorexia as they chart the animal's weight if it becomes a problem. They can also feed formula that will help to keep the weight up. I'm glad your other chin is okay.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up