Chinchillas.org

Chinchilla Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Handling, noises, and wheel?  (Read 1104 times)

shadowolves

• Appreciation points: 0
    • View Profile
Handling, noises, and wheel?
« on: December 12, 2012, 08:46:51 PM »

I have two chinchillas that are older and neither are really use to being handled. I can easily pet one but she doesn't like to be picked up but once I have her she doesn't seem to mind me holding and petting her.  The other doesn't even really want me to touch her as soon as I do she runs off. What is the best way to go about getting them use to being handled again? Also what is a good way to pick them up? I feel really bad if I have to chase them around the cage to get them (I don't want to stress them). Also the one I do pet is very vocal. She makes like some little noises when I pet her. Does that mean she likes it? I have raisins to give them as treats but what are some other things that are good treats I can give them? 

I also have sugar gliders and I heard chinchillas can run on wheels and I was wondering if anyone knows if the sugar glider safe wheel is also safe for chinchillas. I have a fast-track wheel. It is a 12" wheel with a mesh track.

Thanks!

gasaraki03

• Appreciation points: 6
  • # of Chins: 2
    • View Profile
Re: Handling, noises, and wheel?
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2012, 10:22:06 PM »

As for treats there Oats, Rosehips, lavender

For the wheel i wouldn't use a wire mesh wheel they can get hurt. Also a 15 inch wheel is the  best size.

shadowolves

• Appreciation points: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2012, 11:17:18 PM »

The mesh on the wheel is actually a plastic mesh not wire. I don't want to leave it in the cage with them but when I get them out is it okay for them to use it?

chinclub

• Site Owner
  • Administrator
  • Appreciation points: 66
    • View Profile
    • Lowcountry Chinchillas
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2012, 07:46:52 AM »

I have used wire mesh wheels with my chinchillas with no trouble as long as the openings are no larger than 1/2 inch x 1/2 inch and the chinchillas are adults. However, some chinchillas have developed spine problems from the arch they have to do to fit in the 12 inch wheel.  15 inch is much safer.  Also, there should be no plastic in the chinchilla cage.  If the chinchillas chew the plastic and swallow it that can get a fatal blockage.

Lowcountry Chinchillas

Walterboro, South Carolina

Snickerdoodlesmom

• Proud mom of Snickerdoodle
  • Appreciation points: 11
  • # of Chins: One
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2012, 09:48:12 PM »

What do the noises sound like? Do they sound like barks? Or whimpers? Whimpers can mean that she's happy. Also, it's likely that she likes it because otherwise she'd probably shove you away or run away herself!
- Dvora, Snickerdoodle's Momma
Pages: [1]   Go Up